Looking for new ideas? Tap into VRMB's massive database of free content, including our multimedia archive. Our weekly discussions on guest experience and growth are designed to inspire and delight.
I have been deep in Ai reading for the last few months. The unknowns are overwhelmingly agreed (few could have fathomed what big disruptions like the steam engine or the internet would bring). It's the speed of the onset of these unknowns that's most radical. Other disruptions took place slowly and steadily by comparison. This morning I read about a professor's Ai detector falsely accusing a student of cheating...
Something to consider if using AI for blogs and/or other marketing purposes. They scrape data from copyrighted property. Then it repurposes it into books, screenplays, research papers, news stories, photos, art, music, code and more — to produce answers...
This post is designed to inspire Property Managers everywhere to run best-in-class, functional and profitable businesses, while staying healthy, happy, and free. And we think it's more salient today than ever before. The biggest lessons from 3 years of explosive growth...
What is "enough" for your vacation rental business? In this short thread, I'll argue why your ability to answer that question is synonymous with your keys to the vacation rental kingdom. (And oppositely why, if you can't give an answer, you're missing out on perhaps our industry's greatest sweet spot for independent vacation rental entrepreneurs.) In Spanish the word is "Bastante." Ya basta! Or "suficiente."...
I have copied and pasted these action items into a document for me to review as often as I need to. We too have found that after taking the risk of opening...
Questions or comments welcomed below...
@JPrugh what you’re really describing is the role of destination ambassador in an up-and-coming place. I met this role firsthand when I moved to the historic district of Casco Viejo in Panama in 2006. It was completely off the...
IDEA: I've flown Southwest Airlines a few times the last months and noticed that due to Covid they are not serving alcohol, which is boohooo because there is no social lubricant I like more to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger than bourbon. But pre-covid I learned about a secret unwritten rule among most of the flight attendants that I refer to ask their free drink policy. Note: this is NOT...
Great idea THANK YOU! and Thanks to all who shared freebees (not). I am coping your ideas! LOL
Note: I learned this idea from Bryce Leonard of Key Data Dashboard at (where so much conference learning takes place) the hotel bar. Perhaps Obvious Fact #1: Technology is the single biggest game-changer that propels today's vacation rental pros (compared to their hospitality predecessors) to entirely new heights: so taking advantage of all the new technology is a no-brainer to make more money (and have less...
@AFirmani, the most important piece of tech anyone possesses whether they have one property or a thousand is your PMS. You can't have a tech stack without a PMS. Find the right PMS for you and then build out from there. A great place for you to start in no particular...
I've organized the traits into categories so you can go through like a checklist. And if you would like any further information, please just jump into the thread on VRMB Communities here. Note: Profitability does not discriminate. Whether you own one property or manage 1,000, these should all apply to you. Pricing The most profitable VR pros know their value and have a clearly-defined pricing strategy that ebbs...
@Matt Landau "Charge non-refundable damage deposits": dumb question- do you take a % of rental charged or a flat fee? If you charge...
In January, we started the discussion Encouraging Conferences for 2022 and so many community members chimed in. *** When Bob Iger and Disney faced the looming disruption that streaming platforms caused to the conventional world of TV and film, they went on a buying spree picking up famous brands such as ESPN, Pixar, Marvel, Lukas Films Star Wars…etc. Why? They believed that no matter the disruptions to the...
For me, it was my first time out of the State of Hawaii since 2019 and it was so great to be with my peers in the vacation rental industry and continue to learn...
I love receiving notes from VRMB Community members and yesterday I got this one from long-time member and colleague, @JVozel: It's getting more difficult as the industry grows to incorporate more facets (to our businesses). Including bad actors who are not a net-positive to their environments. The challenge is to keep up our ethos in the face of these sea-changes...I'm really working to figure out how to do...
I remember reading this when it first came out. I wanted to think about it, as my response is hopefully thought provoking for you, your business and our industry. I enjoyed reading, reviewing and contemplating the many responses. Below is our Company Guiding Principles. I established...
Hello community members, I'm sharing with you my big trend for independent owners and managers in 2022, along with links to all mentioned resources below. Please use the thread below to share any trends you believe are worth doubling down on... Resources Mentioned: Vacasa has gone public [Skift] Matt Roberts on Unlocked Carl Shepherd on Unlocked The Agile Approach PDF Keystone Awards (software suggestions)...
In Vacasa's quest for more more more properties, they are going to run smack into the regulatory issues we are all struggling with. I'm waiting to see what they will do. Will they join the fray and make a positive difference?
I was out to dinner at Marcus Samuelsson's restaurant Red Rooster last week. (Yes, the same restaurant that was featured in "10 Oxtails.") Trying to decide on an adult beverage. When the waitress suggested a wine I had never heard of before. "So two sisters, separated at birth, one raised in California and the other in New Zealand, eventually discover one another, learn about their mutual obsession with wine...
So here's a story I heard recently. I thought I would share it here. Apparently, in 1965 there was a Harvard psychologist doing a study on potential in school children, and he approached a school in California and informed them that he had developed "a test that I can give you that is going...
I just finished Dan Pink's The Power of Regret -- all about turning negative emotions into positive actionable lessons -- and the book includes this, one of my favorite quotes: By understanding what people regret the most, we can understand what they value the most. The book explains how "boldness" regrets ("things I didn't do") were almost 2x as common as action regrets (things I did). And I couldn't help...
I was always encouraged by my family to be an entrepreneur (like they all were) but devoted my most of my working life to a health care career instead. While not necessarily a regret, I do wish I would have...
If repeat guests are the holy grail of vacation rental marketing: and if repeat bookings are directly proportional to the size of your email marketing list: then increasing the size of your email marketing list will increase your repeat bookings and lead you to the holy grail. When it comes to repeat bookings, one of the biggest untapped goldmines are the guests who stay in your vacation rental with a group, but...
We also had the same experience with JoinbyText. Total bust. Not a great setup. Wondering if there is another (better)...
At 10:05 of our latest Unlocked interview with Jeremy Gall, we talk about Brittany Blackman and her deep passion for vacation rental hospitality. I go on to share how @MikeH saw Brittany's "passion" as a downright game-changer. '"They' can't compete with that!" Mike says. The “they” in Mike’s sentiment is intentionally vague — it can apply to whoever you may have in mind. They = venture-backed competition...
We just put together our 5th VR and then I saw this post (I do not know why they do not come to my email but that goodness...
Ever since I moved to Miami and started swimming in the ocean each morning with my crew of completely random but equally inspiring swim buddies (photo attached) I joined in on the unspoken practice of being grateful. There's no fee and no rules joining this swim group. Show up whenever you want, swim with the group however far you want, however fast you want. But at the beginning just as we're all in the water...
@Matt Landau I was so moved by your last mailer of 2021 and your essay about your experience on St. John that it made me cry, memories of what happened to people after those two back to back cat 5 hurricanes came flooding back. I too hope for less tumultuous times for...
A foundational element of building a home is the plot on which it sits. One of the first investments we suggest vacation rental professionals make in Stage 2 of Listing Site Independence is in domain names. And there are three types of domains you should consider purchasing in order to carve out your own little piece of online real estate. Your full name (good for any and all professional pursuits -- people...
I bought my domain name as soon as I began my rental. It seemed like the best thing to do and I guess it was!
Content idea time! IDEA: We're all familiar with the press pieces featuring THE TOP {insert adjective} VACATION RENTALS IN {insert destination}. There are plenty of variations but for the sake of this post I'm referring to these pieces as "Top X." And typically, the author has little to no subject matter expertise. Sometimes companies being mentioned in the article are paying to be featured! But these...
You were asking "where to publish" a Top "XYZ" article... We are in the middle of writing one right now.... We...
UPDATED: March 14, 2024 This past week Miami came out with the following commercial to dissuade partiers from choosing it for their Spring Break shenanigans. It was a brilliant example of the "Why our destination is NOT for you" messaging we've explored before... **** "7 Reasons Casco Viejo is NOT For You" (original blog post from 2010 attached) was the single most impactful piece of content I ever created...
Interesting the we're not an Airbnb.. ohhh I remember those conversations you and I had about Airbnb
Trial and error 'metabolism' is one of the most popular ways to build vacation rental muscle. But once you've reached a sweet spot, trial and error metabolism tends to slow: either because you've build a seamless machine OR you've lost motivation for growth. One way to mix things up is to adopt the mentality that "everything is a test." "Everything is a test" gives us the confidence to try a myriad of mini...
Reference Discussion (for anyone who wants to learn more about QR codes): https://community.vrmb.com/threads/qr-code-for-marketing.6301/
J
  • Jens
Hi All, It's been a while. Have a quick question for the group. Over the past two years it's become clear that our core markets are... a) family gatherings / reunions... usually multigenerational in high / shoulder season - summer, Christmas, Easter etc. b) group...
@Sallie totally. :)
IDEA Some marketing activities -- like listing sites and email newsletters -- are common. But other activities that generate equal (if not BETTER) results are far less obvious. I spent the last week with over 500 vacation rental virtuosos at the Streamline Summit in Scottsdale, AZ. And one of my most salient takeaways is that there is massive ROI in baked goods. Yes, you read that correctly. In a handful of...
We own the local donut shop and put donuts in our arriving guests units... they LOVE it! Mentioned in almost all the reviews #donutlove
I'd welcome any member opinions (make a video hot take!!!) below... Ps. here's a link to our Bali episode.
@lisafrank I agree with your assessment of the "World's Most Amazing" in that 1) they're really NOT the world's most amazing and 2) the hosts were IMO nearly unwatchable for an old boomer like me. As a VR owner of properties in...
This week's podcast interview features Graham Donoghue of Sykes Cottages which is the largest profitable vacation rental manager that I am aware of in the world. If you haven't listened to the episode, I would encourage you to do so here: Graham references "the House Model" a few times and I asked him if I could share the diagram with our community. It is quite simply one of the most beautiful things I have...
This was really motivational!
IDEA An inside joke is humor that requires information only available to a group. It can be as small as a joke between you and your guest. And when pulled off, it forms a connection that deepens the relationship: making you more than just another place to stay, but a true insider friend. @StacyW recently shared with me this text message interchange between her team member Lacey and a Guest: Lacey: Good...
I first met this guest on the trail in front of our house while it was under construction for remodeling. As he was chatting about his vacation stay there, I mentioned I too had a house for rent and invited him to come to tour our house for his next vacation. His 4 yo and 2yo children at the...
When I would get feedback/reviews at my vacation rentals in Panama, my instinct was to respond with pride because I created that experience! Proudly, the good reviews gave me ego boosts and the bad reviews’ root causes went unnoticed (because I could not or would not see em) and the problems therefore persisted. Unimaginable. Impossible! It took me a while to figure out that pride means taking a defensive...
From the Guest: The big and short of it: The yard was terrible and embarrassing with an ant infestation and weeds everywhere. It was unusable. The owner told you they couldn’t find anyone to get it done. The gardener told me they were told before we arrived to hold off until we left...
Only after publishing this week's Unlocked Interview with Eric Broughton of InhabitIQ -- who is buying up various property management software companies -- have I (finally) come to (fully) understand the (irreversible) way our cottage industry is evolving: Starts out fragmented = large number of small players As popularity grows, a smaller number of larger players begin to consolidate the fragmentedness They do...
Two chairs @Matt Landau, what a great find. I have thought about those two chairs. What if you had found only a single chair? Would you have taken only one chair anyhow? A single chair reminds me of the sound of...
While editing next week's Unlocked interview with Theo Kracke (who sued the City of Santa Barbara for the right to operate short term rentals -- and won) I learned a neat trick that Theo uses to get the owners (of the properties he manages) to contribute money to the fair regulation fight. Listen to this... "The Presumptive Close" is when you intentionally assume that the prospect has already agreed, and wrap...
SScurlock, thank you so much! I think I’ll condense my Presumptive Close to one simple gesture: The person who makes the reservation will be given a one year membership ($30) to Friends of...
This week in a NYT travel article I learned the word Flâneur. Here's some of my fav quotes: A flâneur is an idle stroller who wanders aimlessly and lets 'accident' be their guide: one of the best ways to explore a destination is not with goals or itineraries but by following your senses To walk a city led by your senses rather than a destination is to awaken to the city and, possibly, to yourself. It’s...
We definitely introduce guests to one another, at our weekly pizza party where guests get to meet up and we all make pizza together (not this year of course) - taking it in turns to roll out the dough, top it with ingredients, cook it in the outdoor...
As children, we’re told not to be picky. "Don’t be a picky eater." "It’s only a summer job, don’t be so picky." As we enter adulthood, being picky starts to be a good thing. "Be picky with your accountant." "Be picky when choosing your spouse." And as vacation rental pros in this unprecedented moment, being picky isn’t just recommended. It’s a requirement. Let me tell you why… To those observing our...
As children, we’re told not to be picky. "Don’t be a picky eater." "It’s only a summer job, don’t be so picky." As we enter adulthood, being picky starts to be a good...
I’ve always been inspired by small business owners. Specifically, those who have used small business to create a lifestyle that fulfills. Cajun Claws, for instance. A small crawfish restaurant in Abbeville, Louisiana, which seats a total of about 30 tables per evening. After waiting in line for several hours, I eventually get seated in what more resembled my grandmas living room and served by what was actually...
I see the main commonality is they made their "customers" feel special and appreciated. It is hard to reach everyone that comes thru...

Welcome to VRMB!

I’m Matt Landau, the founder of this forum. It was created in 2016 when a group of us wanted a safe space to discuss our growing STR businesses.

Today, you can join our community of 1,000+ creative, thoughtful, and generous members who believe in a better future.

Go Premium

Spotlight

Discover "Unlocked: The Intermission" - a captivating 6-part podcast series featuring the individuals who have shaped Matt Landau's horseradish in the past 6 months.

Listen now.

Back