Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Re-allocate Your Marketing Dollars Towards Creative Hospitality in 2024

Back in 2009, with the listing sites (and our category in general) starting to gain momentum, the members of this community and myself predicted that "listing site independence" (ie. marketing diversification for vacation rental pros) would be the north star to follow. In the years that followed, plenty of direct booking movements spawned and a legitimate trend was formed.

The theory of "Limited Edition" was born in 2018, and has since become a chosen gold standard for operators around the world (plenty of whom were already running limited edition businesses). The phrase "limited edition" has worked its way into modern day industry vernacular.

And today I wanted to share a BIG trend (one I consider as big if not bigger than LSI and Limited Edition) as we enter uncertain STR futures: Hospitality gestures are the "new" marketing.

The truth is that listing sites have become so proficient at generating new inquiries for owners and managers, we have no choice but to let them generate new inquiries for us! HOWEVER, we must then re-focus time, energy, and marketing resources on the activities whose exponential ROI are much within our control: setting expectations, then meeting and exceeding those expectations in-stay (ie. in the home).

The vacation home experience has always been our unique chance to interact with guests and build relationships (a kind of social capital in vacation rental branding): this much is not new. But when you break the guest journey down into parts and select the most important inflection point that drives repeat/referral direct bookings (with the help of listing sites), you are left irrefutably with hospitality. These hospitality gestures form the interrelationships and main drivers of loyalty. I would like for you to think of them as marketing.

But here's the important part: hospitality gestures (as the new marketing) COST money and time (at least, more than you previously estimated). So this requires shifting mindsets and seeing the value (aka. bigger picture) of any single guest (or homeowner) interaction as it fractals into the future.

Here are some hospitality gestures that could serve as your new marketing expenditures:
- Phone calls (or in-person interactions) whenever possible
- More thoughtful welcome gifts & hand-written notes
- More personal introductions to local businesses
- Special offers for local experiences
- Quick response times
- Upgraded amenities like soaps/shampoos
- Better note-taking prior to arrival (aka. better use of CRM ... because note-taking is the mother of personalization)
- Creative solutions to questions or problems

How about some case studies?
- Durrette Durrette and EmilyRead EmilyRead and Cozi Vacation Rentals (aka. 'the quintessential waveriders') and the emphasis they place on in-stay marketing ROI in one of the most explosive markets (Texas Wine Country).
- Relationship building, judgement calls, housekeeping/maintenance interactions as some of our favorite "unscalable investments"
- Quality branded IP as the best way to protect from disruption (according to Bob Iger)

So fam, who's with me?
Who is willing to increase their hospitality gestures budget?!?!
P.S. Feel free to share any hospitality gestures (that act like marketing) you are already doing for inspo!

Last edited:
This is such an amazing concept and while I “thought” we offered these items, there are several that I am missing. From November until March is such an unsettling time in this business for us because there is little on the books at this point. Usually our guests seem to get together during the holidays and then start thinking about vacations. We pray that they book up and that the bank account starts growing again. This has happened every one of the 16 years that I have had STRs and I still get nervous about the calendar. I know they will come… just like, if you build it they will come!!

I can’t agree with this more AND it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money but every dollar spent on these efforts has given us excellent return.

—We greet every guest with a personalized video greeting a few days before their arrival. We use Bombbomb for this service and have been pleased with their software and thrilled with guest engagement and feedback from the simple personalized inidviualized greetings. This starts out the journey on a positive and personal note. We also ask the guest if they are celebrating any special occasions.
—Which leads to the next action point—celebrate with your guests. Regardless of the occasion we celebrate with them through hand written notes on our branded post cards and many times include a loaf of cinnamon bread ($6) from our favorite donut shop that’s been in business as long as we have—50 years. We want to associate with other like minded business that are limited edition and this is a great pairing. We also defer to local chocolate and cakes for extra special occasions.
—Use their names as much as possible. Guest want to be known and seen and our repeat guests have become like family over the generations. Simply engaging with them on social media and replying to their comments goes a long way to establishing that relationship.
—Reward repeat guests. We established the Family First program 10 years ago and have 2300 families that qualify. They have to stay with us 5 or more times. 20% of our bookings come from this group of repeat guests. What does it take to get them to come back? Not 10% off, not a free night, not free meals or points or home upgrades. We simply just remembering their names and treat them like family. They do get a free bundle of firewood for every night they stay and a free MLC t-shirt, shirt or mug when they arrive. We also allow them to only deposit one nights rent for their advanced bookings. The cost is minimal. They are part of a tribe, Family First.
—Engage with guests between stays. Social media is the easiest and most cost efficient way. This year we sent an office Christmas card to our 2300 Family First members. And we asked them to send us theirs for a chance to win a free two night stay.

Every booking should have as its goal to create a repeat guest and in our case we treat every guest as a potential new Family First member on their way to five stays with us.

Limited Edition defines us and I’m thankful for this new season of opportunity we have in the VRM world to stand out as true hospitality professionals.

Yes, yes and yes...

These are not new ideas for us at Moving Mountains, but I love the reminder to double down on this in 2023. Why? Because it absolutely works! If you want to differentiate yourself from your competitors, this is the path to enlightenment.

We use the following:

• Phone or email thanking guests for the reservation - especially when from an OTA
  • In-person check-in/home tour
  • Extra special welcome amenity (nice bottle of wine, snacks, small swag)
  • Teddy bears and coloring books for kids
  • Refillable branded all-natural toiletries in all homes
  • Regular check-ins by text during the stay
  • And our latest triumph... customized instructional videos to help newbies conquer the challenges of visiting a new ski resort

Build these into your process, and you will have repeat guests for life!

And our latest triumph... customized instructional videos to help newbies conquer the challenges of visiting a new ski resort
I really love the simplicity of these videos. And how the new iphone (and likely other smartphones) can do duel camera shots (for anyone considering video instructions please watch this and then hand it off to a team member!

I agree with all the comments. We have been doing this for years now and it does put us 'in front of the game' with regard to our competitors. We recently started adding personalised gift boxes with handwritten notes at their accommodation or the guest's home address if there is enough time. We have a sliding scale of the gift box $$ depending on the value of the reservation.
A great video and book to read is Will Guidara's - Unreasonable Hospitality. He definitely echoes this thread.

Yes, yes and yes...

These are not new ideas for us at Moving Mountains, but I love the reminder to double down on this in 2023. Why? Because it absolutely works! If you want to differentiate yourself from your competitors, this is the path to enlightenment.

We use the following:

• Phone or email thanking guests for the reservation - especially when from an OTA
  • And our latest triumph... customized instructional videos to help newbies conquer the challenges of visiting a new ski resort

Ditto - loved the instructional videos and your many ideas!

Note: Hospitality Gestures: The "New" Marketing will be featured in VRMB's 2023 Trends Report, which drops first week of January. Early bird specials via newsletter sign-up here.

Back in 2009, with the listing sites (and our category in general) starting to gain momentum, the members of this community and myself predicted that "listing site independence" (ie. marketing diversification for vacation rental pros) would be the north star to follow. In the years that followed, plenty of direct booking movements spawned and a legitimate trend was formed.

The theory of "Limited Edition" was born in 2018, and has since become a chosen gold standard for operators around the world (plenty of whom were already running limited edition businesses). The phrase "limited edition" has worked its way into modern day industry vernacular.

And as we close out 2022, I wanted to share a BIG trend (one I consider as big if not bigger than LSI and Limited Edition) for 2023 as we enter uncertain economic times: Hospitality gestures are the "new" marketing.

The truth is that listing sites have become so proficient at generating new inquiries for owners and managers, we have no choice but to let them generate new inquiries for us! HOWEVER, we must then re-focus time, energy, and marketing resources on the activities whose exponential ROI are much within our control: setting expectations, then meeting and exceeding those expectations in-stay (ie. in the home).

The vacation home experience has always been our unique chance to interact with guests and build relationships (a kind of social capital in vacation rental branding): this much is not new. But when you break the guest journey down into parts and select the most important inflection point that drives repeat/referral direct bookings (with the help of listing sites), you are left irrefutably with hospitality. These hospitality gestures form the interrelationships and main drivers of loyalty. I would like for you to think of them as marketing.

But here's the important part: hospitality gestures (as the new marketing) COST money and time (at least, more than you previously estimated). So this requires shifting mindsets and seeing the value (aka. bigger picture) of any single guest (or homeowner) interaction as it fractals into the future.

Here are some hospitality gestures that could serve as your new marketing expenditures:
- Phone calls (or in-person interactions) whenever possible
- More thoughtful welcome gifts & hand-written notes
- More personal introductions to local businesses
- Special offers for local experiences
- Quick response times
- Upgraded amenities like soaps/shampoos
- Better note-taking prior to arrival (aka. better use of CRM ... because note-taking is the mother of personalization)
- Creative solutions to questions or problems

If your hospitality gestures are not a priority in 2023, I think it will be disproportionately consequential than ever before.

How about some case studies?
- Durrette Durrette and EmilyRead EmilyRead and Cozi Vacation Rentals (aka. 'the quintessential waveriders') and the emphasis they place on in-stay marketing ROI in one of the most explosive markets (Texas Wine Country).
- Relationship building, judgement calls, housekeeping/maintenance interactions as some of our favorite "unscalable investments"
- Quality branded IP as the best way to protect from disruption (according to Bob Iger)

So fam, who's with me?
Who is willing to increase their hospitality gestures budget for 2023?!?!
P.S. Feel free to share any hospitality gestures (that act like marketing) you are already doing for inspo!
We have thinking about this the last month as I really can't lower fees due to all the increased costs we are experiencing. One idea I will be throwing out is 2pm check in and noon check out (summer not included) this will give people more time in the homes making the rates and fees not as big of a barrier(I hope), doesn't cost me anything, will be a little tight if any random back to backs but we can push through on those and of course worse case we will have the fine print.

I can’t agree with this more AND it doesn’t have to cost a lot of money but every dollar spent on these efforts has given us excellent return.

—We greet every guest with a personalized video greeting a few days before their arrival. We use Bombbomb for this service and have been pleased with their software and thrilled with guest engagement and feedback from the simple personalized inidviualized greetings. This starts out the journey on a positive and personal note. We also ask the guest if they are celebrating any special occasions.
—Which leads to the next action point—celebrate with your guests. Regardless of the occasion we celebrate with them through hand written notes on our branded post cards and many times include a loaf of cinnamon bread ($6) from our favorite donut shop that’s been in business as long as we have—50 years. We want to associate with other like minded business that are limited edition and this is a great pairing. We also defer to local chocolate and cakes for extra special occasions.
—Use their names as much as possible. Guest want to be known and seen and our repeat guests have become like family over the generations. Simply engaging with them on social media and replying to their comments goes a long way to establishing that relationship.
—Reward repeat guests. We established the Family First program 10 years ago and have 2300 families that qualify. They have to stay with us 5 or more times. 20% of our bookings come from this group of repeat guests. What does it take to get them to come back? Not 10% off, not a free night, not free meals or points or home upgrades. We simply just remembering their names and treat them like family. They do get a free bundle of firewood for every night they stay and a free MLC t-shirt, shirt or mug when they arrive. We also allow them to only deposit one nights rent for their advanced bookings. The cost is minimal. They are part of a tribe, Family First.
—Engage with guests between stays. Social media is the easiest and most cost efficient way. This year we sent an office Christmas card to our 2300 Family First members. And we asked them to send us theirs for a chance to win a free two night stay.

Every booking should have as its goal to create a repeat guest and in our case we treat every guest as a potential new Family First member on their way to five stays with us.

Limited Edition defines us and I’m thankful for this new season of opportunity we have in the VRM world to stand out as true hospitality professionals.
Well done Tom! I love the idea of the Family First program and will consider adapting to our VIPs.
- Deana

Yes, yes and yes...

We use the following:

I love the videos! I was creating GIFs for my check in slideshows but this video utilization is genius.

In my region, we have a little lake monster called Ogopogo (aka lake guardian if the kids are young) and I bring these for the kids and/or the dogs either on arrival or departure. I have found the gift baskets and fridges full of refreshments don't bring the same smile I get from gifting the kids and the dogs! I have whole pile of these little guys. $5/each

I'm considering departure gifts this year to leave a final impression on the guest. When I stay at a premium hotel and the valet leaves water in my car on our final departure it sticks with me and reminds me I am being pampered.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    292.3 KB
"Counting Your Vacation Days" vs. "Making Your Vacation Days Count"

Kansas, like every state, has a tourism. “The time to reclaim vacation in now. The place to do it is Kansas." was released on Kansas Day (January 29th) to help Kansans and everyone else realize that they can go on vacation there. Kansas is not “in the middle of nowhere” as some might say - it is another vibrant and exciting destination. The video takes a jab at what planning and taking a vacation has become.

Much of this thread about marketing is spot on. And looking inward. Why? I suspect that virtually everyone on VRMB has their destination marketing done for them. If your destination revolves around skiing in the Rockies or strolling along the beach or taking in the view of the ocean, then property managers and owners in these destinations have much more time and resources to dedicate toward guest marketing. They don’t have to wonder for a second, “How can I convince someone to visit here?"

Don’t get me wrong - I look inward too. With properties scattered along a small town’s Main Street and in the adjacent neighborhood, I don’t have a view, a hot tub, a pool, a chef on call or a Disney-themed property. Airbnb and VRBO will NEVER feature my properties - and I have come to terms with that. I have to make the best of what I have to work with.

That is why I work so very, very closely with the city and its CVB and small businesses in town to make Lindsborg a destination worth considering. I have dug into my own personal (not my small business) pocket to help fund billboards, travel bloggers and more (our CVB passes the hat among the town’s small businesses and aggressively seeks grant money).

These efforts are paying off. AARP (Dec 2023 / Jan 2024) mentioned Lindsborg as one of six “Great Cities to Live” along with Boise and Traverse City. We were recently nominated for Newsweek’s 2024 Readers’ Choice for “Best Small-town Arts Scene."

I’d like everyone reading this post to ponder, for a minute, just how incredibly fortunate your property management business to be in your destination. Your destination is THE key to your success.

I'm all for increasing hospitality gestures for non-material items. I already feel like I'm maxed out on the amenities I offer. This year we're creating a guidebook as a landing page, and we've created several templates to go out to incoming guests, such as events during their stay, and things to remember when packing. We also do a monthly newsletter that includes stargazing events, things to do for the month, upcoming considerations, and 1-2 homes to focus on and why they are so great (what they offer). It does feel like treading water sometimes, however, when trying to carve out from the big guys.

I love this! I have been thinking that we (as hosts) miss such an important window to earn guest love and loyalty. That is the time after they book until the stay occurs. A lot of our marketing is done to get the booking and then after they leave. Some guests book almost a year in advance. They are planning their trip during this time. This is when they appreciate hearing from us with hints, timelines, discounts, deals. I take photos of all local discounted cards available at costco, it saves them 20% at a few restaurants and coffee shops like this one that costs $40 for 2- $25 cards, I offer to pick them up for them. If I feel generous I will leave them with a note as a gift.

other ideas- a local library card, supermarket discount cards, a list of places you get senior citizen/military discounts, golf discounts, places you can order groceries online and pick up, the best local butcher to order from so it is ready when they arrive.

Attachments

• 20231219_165954.jpg
    20231219_165954.jpg
    394.5 KB
And now, in 2024, we have a new "guidebook" to these hospitality gestures. Matt Landau Matt Landau you have been one-upped. It's called "Unreasonable Hospitality", the book by Will Guidara.

If you haven't read this book, you must. It's a great read and a virtual manual of inspirational ideas about how to deliver exceptional experiences through unreasonable gestures, that are very much attainable and within our grasp. It requires a mindset shift instead of always thinking, "We can't afford that..." you could begin thinking, "Now that is a great idea, now let's figure out how to make it happen..."

Read this book, then read it again. It will help you improve your business, and you will fall in love with this hospitality industry again when you start to implement these types of ideas and see how it works.

We are reading the book as a company and have our first meeting this Friday to discuss the first 8 Chapters! We will discuss what it means to deliver Unreasonable Hospitality at every level of our business. We are also doing a complete overhaul of our entire messaging to guests. I put large sticky notes in my office that said booking, day after booking, months before arrival, 10 days out, 48 hours, 24 hours, day after arrival and departure. Then I wrote Guest and Business. I had my office staff come through and write what they want the guest to know from the business perspective and then had them write as if they were a guest and what they wanted to know. We are now going to take all that info to rewrite our entire guest messages going out. We will also add videos to almost every message as we feel guests will watch videos over reading emails.

About the author

Back