• Vacation rentals can be life-changing. But due to a surge in popularity, the requirements of the job are more challenging than ever. VRMB Communities is a private forum that helps thoughtful owners & managers automate and delegate tasks, so you can focus on the activities that win loyalty and direct bookings. Preview Private Forum Here

A Road Map to Your Environmentally Sustainable Business

Is there a business, in any sector, that would not want to continue to grow and yet be greener and have a lighter impact on the environment? particularly if it can do so with no/low impact on costs. Add into the mix that a business could actually see benefits in terms of:
additional customers, improved bottom line, enhanced reputation, strengthened customer approval, improved branding, differentiation from competitors etc. not to mention being recognised as socially responsible. Seems like a no brainer doesn’t it? So why don't more businesses take action?

Maybe the topic never quite gets to the top of the to-do list or maybe you don’t know where to start.

I strongly believe that building environmentally sustainable into how you operate is a no-lose part of your business plan. Increasingly you will be encouraged to be more sustainable by your guests, by the market and ultimately when looking at what others are doing in your region.

So over the coming weeks I intend to give you a road map, introducing you to some small easy steps that you can take to make your business more environmentally sustainable. Along the way I will also flag up some of the trends/commentary/surveys in our industry that signal why environmental sustainability equals business success.

Each week I am going to post one single action that you can take and explain why it is important. The suggestions are not rocket science and probably you will have heard of most of them before. They are usually easy and they will all make business sense.

Finally before we get started I don’t claim to be an expert by any means so please jump in with your perspectives, ideas and challenges.

Step One - Green Energy Tariff

Most of us don’t review our power supplier often or our tariff with that supplier. Historically most energy comes from fossil fuels which damage our environment and heats up our atmosphere. Switching to a green tariff is easy, often cheaper, great for the planet and makes your business more environmentally sustainable.

Action: Switch to a different energy tariff based on renewable sources.
  • Check your energy bill and see what it says about how the energy was created. There will often be a breakdown explaining the mix of sources of the power e.g. carbon, wind, solar etc
  • If you are not on a fully green tariff contact your supplier and ask about a renewable energy tariff. Remember they are used to these questions and should be able explain your options.
  • If they don’t have an effective green tariff, look for an alternative supplier in your region. In the majority of places there is competition and other companies want your business.
  • Search for ‘green energy’ adding your city, state or country to find suitable suppliers or check out organisations that make comparisons for you
  • Don’t be put off by warnings of the difficulty of changing suppliers. Suppliers rely on you being lazy or scared of change. Inertia in the market hinders innovation and allows suppliers to be unresponsive to changing market forces.
  • Ask around via friends or on social media. People are usually very open to sharing their success stories in finding great green deals.
  • Make the switch and be public about it, it is something to be proud of.
  • Start a list of what makes your business green. Once you have a few steps under your belt you might want to promote your efforts and reap the benefits of being environmentally sustainable. Your guests and clients will love what you are doing. Why wouldn’t they?
This article explains the different levels of green tariffs (some are better than others) and why choosing one sends a powerful message to the energy industry.

If anybody wants my help, just ask.

Last edited:

Catherine

Envoy
Inner Circle
Hi, Bo
Plastic is such an insidious if useful product. Can there be anybody left in our industry, or any other, who is not aware of the wastefulness of this product and the damage it is doing to the environment?

Each week there is something in the serious press talking about what the tourist can do in choosing a greener holiday. Of course there are many aspects to an environmentally sustainable holiday but one of the key factors is the accommodation.

More and more travellers are expecting you to be taking some steps to be greener and a significant minority include sustainability in their search criteria.

Here are three facts about plastics:
  • Between 1950 and 2017 we created 9.2 billion tons of plastic.
  • Of that, more than 6.9 billion tons have become waste. Of that waste, a staggering 6.3 billion tons never made it to a recycling bin.
  • Once discarded plastic eventually breaks down into micro-plastic which takes centuries to fully disintegrate
Plastic pollution is perhaps the poster child of environment sustainability. Its negative impact is very widely understood by the public and increasingly vacation rentals hosts will be judged on what they are doing to make a difference on this subject.

Countries, regions and states are introducing bans or limits on single use plastic. Do you know what is coming down the line in your area?

Step Three - Reduce Your Plastic Consumption

Plastic is everywhere and it is extremely difficult to live in the modern world without it. But that does not mean that you can’t be highly selective about when and why you use it.

'The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it' (Robert Swan)

Action: Eliminate single use plastic in your home and business
  • Bottled water is one of the biggies. Use filter jugs, fitted filters and sparkling machines to remove the need for guests to buy bottled water
  • Support your initiatives with a branded long-life water bottle as a gift to your guests. There are so many companies but I like Jerry*
  • If the coffee culture is big in your area consider a branded cup as a gift for your guest. Half a trillion cups are thrown away each year!
  • Cleaning products usually come in single use dispensers and are incredibly wasteful. Find a supplier that sells in bulk so you can reuse the dispensers. Even better if the product comes dehydrated as it’s transport carbon footprint is much lower
  • Stop using toiletries in bottles and instead fix permanent dispensers in your bathrooms that are refillable
  • Look for other single use plastic items you provide like straws or single use non-compostable bags. Find alternatives or eliminate them
  • Where you use plastic, find out which types are actually recycled/composted in your area. Use that type and recycle it. Only 9% of plastic globally is recycled.
  • Educate your guests about the changes you have made and why relating to single use plastic. They will support you and appreciate your efforts
  • Start a list of what makes your business green. Once you have a few steps under your belt you might want to promote your efforts and reap the benefits of being environmentally sustainable. Your guests and clients will love what you are doing. Why wouldn’t they?
This article explains many of the issues around plastic and makes suggestions of changes that you could incorporate into your personal lifestyle and your business.

* If you are going to work with a company then why not choose one with a social conscious? Jerry gives 100% of their profits to fund water projects around the world.

Just ordered 2 Jerry containers. I'm thinking of maybe putting my rental name on them and giving one to a guest as a prize, of sorts...

Dawn

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Thanks @Catherine ( and @Dawn ) I hadn’t heard of them. I timely reminder to check on any supplier and ask them about their green strategy. It’s all about holding everyone accountable and asking them to play their part. https://www.greengeeks.com/

I recommend GreenGeeks to people because they have such great support and a reasonable price point and they are a "Carbon Neutral" hosting service too. I also have personal ear of the CEO, which is nice. Here's their page on their green hosting: https://www.greengeeks.com/going-green

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
I recommend GreenGeeks to people because they have such great support and a reasonable price point and they are a "Carbon Neutral" hosting service too. I also have personal ear of the CEO, which is nice. Here's their page on their green hosting: https://www.greengeeks.com/going-green
Thanks for this @Dawn for those of us nervous about switching hosting suppliers can you give any advice to achieve a pain free switch?

Dawn

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Thanks for this @Dawn for those of us nervous about switching hosting suppliers can you give any advice to achieve a pain free switch?

GreenGeeks makes the process pretty simple from my standpoint...although you will need to be familiar with your current hosting c-panel/ftp areas and get that information to them. At that point the carry out the migration for you. They will also handle switching over any domain email accounts also but again will need some technical information from you to handle it for you.

So I'm guessing most who are not familiar with the technical stuff would need about 1 hour's worth of time from the developer of their choice to work with GreenGeeks support and be present to respond to any issues and ensure things get resolved smoothly.

I do this all the time with them for people with live sites rolling and there is minimal to no interruption. Basically we make a copy of the live website and database, move that over, test it and then just reset the domain nameservers to point from the old copy to the new copy.

So no sites are harmed during the migration process, lol.

Dawn

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Weird, I don't see any way to edit my last comment.... So, I certainly can and do migrate sites manually but it's sure nice to have someone else handle that part for me (since I launch a lot of sites) and just oversee it...

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
What is the environmental cost of the products you are using?

Almost every product we buy takes some form of energy to produce, transport, sell, consume and dispose of. But not all products for the same purpose are equal in each of these categories. Neither do they all have the same ingredients or the same impact on the environment.

Ingredients - what is included in the product and do they have a negative impact on the environment? e.g. toxins, palm oil, microbeads etc
Production - do you know how and where the product was created? What were the conditions of production for those employed?
Packaging - how is the product packaged? such as single use plastic or excess packaging
Transportation - transport uses carbon, the heavier the item and the greater the distance, the greater the carbon cost
Consumption - How do you use the product, is it efficient and effective in what it does? through the design do you use more of it than is necessary?
Disposal - Once you have used the product what is left? packaging, single use plastic, no recyclable materials?
Company social responsibility - what claims, if any, do the manufacturers make it terms of being responsible to their staff, community and the environment. Do they fund effective works in the community or give away a percentage of profits ? what environmental claims do they make and do they seem credible?

Being environmentally sustainable is not just about the big ticket items like solar panels, sophisticated heating and cooling systems, electric car chargers etc. It is also about the smaller things that you consume and to whom you give your business. These smaller actions are meaningful because they demonstrate that you genuinely care about the environment.

Step Six - Review the products you use and who produces them

Every product we use has consequences for people, communities, nature and the wider environment that we often never come into contact with. They may be out of sight but they don’t have to be out of mind. You have the power to influence what businesses produce and sell. Use your purchasing power with forethought.

Action: Change to products with a lighter environmental footprint from companies that really care
  • Review your consumables against the criteria checklist above, choose alternatives that have a better record
  • Look for products that you rehydrate or use dry concentrated - they weigh much less so have a lower carbon footprint e.g. Splosh, TruEarth
  • Look for companies that minimise packaging and eliminate plastic
  • Look for companies which encourage reuse of the dispenser (a plastic cleaning dispenser has a long life and should not be single use)
  • Look for companies that take lightly from the environment and give back significant profits for social good e.g.Who Gives A Crap toilet paper
  • Look for companies that are certified by external independent organisations who have verified their claims e.g.GreenScents
  • Avoid items with a high environmental impact which also can’t be recycled. e.g. kitchen cleaning scourers often contain oil derivatives and can’t be recycled.
  • Look for companies that are committed to being carbon neutral in their operations e.g. A Good Company
  • Find ethical websites set up to help you evaluate greener products and navigate through the options and criteria e.g My Green Pod or Ethical Consumer
  • Choose products that have demonstrable evidence that they have not been tested on animals
This past thread discusses some issues around eco friendly products - https://community.vrmb.com/index.ph...s-toilet-paper-paper-towels-shampoo-etc.5023/

Last edited:

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
GreenGeeks makes the process pretty simple from my standpoint...although you will need to be familiar with your current hosting c-panel/ftp areas and get that information to them. At that point the carry out the migration for you. They will also handle switching over any domain email accounts also but again will need some technical information from you to handle it for you.
Thanks for this suggestion Dawn, we are planning our switch to Green Geeks. I will report back on how it went.

Catherine

Envoy
Inner Circle
Windows and in-ground sprinkler systems...and then there's my hi-efficiency washing machine that seems to use a lot of water?? ( bought in 2006. No drum, so you can put a comforter in there. Electric. ** IF I replaced it- any suggestions?
So, I spent $400 on an energy audit. The one where the guy uses a huge fan installed at the front door and sucks air through the house to see where air is leaking..this determines how much you are heating and cooling the outside. Very, very informative, and includes a proposal showing every tiny place that air is leaking through light fixtures, windows, etc. I also received recommendations on various solutions to these problems. I highly recommend having this done.
I had it done in 2006 for the home that is now my rental property. I ended up replacing all of my old, wood sash windows with the double pane argon gas kind. Easy to open in case of fire, too! ( I replaced all 13 windows. No regrets)
My in-ground sprinkler system came with the house. It's a 3-zone kind, and when the pop-up heads worked, I set it on every morning around 530 AM 2-3 times per week for about 20 minutes each time. The only problem are the heads. If you aerate, the machine can tear up a head. I marked each head with a little flag, but they were moved/destroyed, don't know.
Since I manage remotely, I can't monitor the system, and my Host just can't seem to figure out the mechanics of it.
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR REPLACEMENT? I sure would love an affordable system that I could manage remotely.
One day I will blog how difficult it is to manage a STR remotely!!!!
Thanks for reading! cp
And, @BobG , I cannot (y) ( thank you) enough for your suggestions and feedback. You really are a priceless resource for this topic! :giggle:

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
You may have noticed a theme running through this thread on making your business environmentally sustainable - the actions are usually very easy and cost you little or normally save you money! They also create a new and exciting aspect to your brand that lets you attract an audience that you didn’t appeal to before.

The topic this week is about avoiding waste.

According to the Oxford English dictionary waste is ‘to use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose'

When you waste a resource it is not only costing you money but it has a negative impact on the planet. Everything we use or consume took some form of energy to create, package, deliver etc. If we minimise what we waste we consume less and so reduce our carbon footprint.

Here is a typical eco site aimed at the green traveller, check out what language they use and the tips they give to travellers looking for eco-friendly aspects to their trip.

Step Seven - Where is there waste in your business?

Action:
Examine the topics below, where you are wasting resources that you have paid for?
  • Water - fit water restrictors on your taps and showers and follow these other steps
  • HVAC - review how effective your systems are and follow this advice
  • Food - we waste about a third of all food produced for human consumption. Here are some actions you can take to reduce this and help others
Here are 8 ways to reduce waste in your business

Last edited:

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
Windows and in-ground sprinkler systems...and then there's my hi-efficiency washing machine that seems to use a lot of water?? ( bought in 2006. No drum, so you can put a comforter in there. Electric. ** IF I replaced it- any suggestions?
So, I spent $400 on an energy audit.
And, @BobG , I cannot (y) ( thank you) enough for your suggestions and feedback. You really are a priceless resource for this topic! :giggle:
I have read about home energy audits and watched the videos but it is interesting to hear your perspective and the actions you took - a brilliant green action to shout about!
As we all know the science and effectiveness of appliances like washing machines has changed massively even in the last 10 years. Here is a site which gives comparisons between different rated washing machines in terms of power used and water saved. The results are amazing. Of course you have to factor in the energy expended in building the machine so there is a judgement to be made about when one should replace equipment. (note the site is from the UK so the measurements are in KGs but you can do the maths)

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
Almost of the topics mentioned so far in this thread have involved relatively small changes in your business, even though their impacts can be significant. But there are some more substantial changes that you can make that set you apart as a seriously environmentally sustainable business.

We can define these as an investment in the technological kit which loosens your ties or dependence to traditional energy sources.

If you are starting out with a new property it is of course so easy to build this technology into the building at a competitive cost. But most of us aren’t in that situation so some of these innovations are best instigated when it is time to renew or overhaul the existing systems or when grants are available.

And remember many of these systems are still designed to save you money when you consider the savings made over the lifetime of the equipment or installation.

Look out for Government/state/city incentives that periodically come around to encourage you to move to greater environmental sustainability.

Here is a typical article on how the public can choose eco-friendly accommodation. Take a look and see what a growing segment of the travel market is looking for and see how you compare.

Step Eight - What are the bigger ticket environmental changes you could make in your business?

Action
: Explore some of the technologies that will be both environmentally friendly and cut your ongoing costs.
  • Solar panels - a technology that continues to get more efficient and cheaper to buy and install
  • Heat pumps - like an AC unit only in reverse, changing cold air into warm
  • Electric vehicle charger - more of your guests will be driving an EV and will be looking for hosts who can accommodate them
  • Domestic heat exchanger - cross ventilation in a home
  • Insulation and draft-proofing - without effective insulation you are wasting money heating or cooling a home
Here is an article with 9 green technologies to consider when building a new home (or even upgrading an existing property)

Last edited:

Catherine

Envoy
Inner Circle
@Bob a friend installed some solar panels on her roof last year. I'll have to ask her about the cost savings, etc. It's on my 5- year wish list.
Your suggestion for looking in to green initiatives offered by the power company is spot on! We have various options, as I just learned, to go greener with our electricity. I will investigate further.
Further research is required regarding my washing machine as I don't have the funds to replace it. Don't want to anyway. Just wanted your advice, as always ..lol!
Side note- my current guest somehow messed up my dishwasher so it leaks...off and on. Hope it's just a "user error"..o_O:poop:

Catherine

Envoy
Inner Circle
@Bob a friend installed some solar panels on her roof last year. I'll have to ask her about the cost savings, etc. It's on my 5- year wish list.
Your suggestion for looking in to green initiatives offered by the power company is spot on! We have various options, as I just learned, to go greener with our electricity. I will investigate further.
Further research is required regarding my washing machine as I don't have the funds to replace it. Don't want to anyway. Just wanted your advice, as always ..lol!
Side note- my current guest somehow messed up my dishwasher so it leaks...off and on. Hope it's just a "user error"..o_O:poop:
"Heat pumps - like an AC unit only in reverse, changing cold air into warm"
My experience with a heat pump was not good. It seems that a high-humidity environment tends to freeze the coils in super cold weather...Atlanta super cold is low 'teens...???

JPrugh

Envoy
Inner Circle
I agree @BobG that planting trees is crucial. Not to be the t**d in the punchbowl, but while trees are excellent at converting carbon dioxide through photosynthesis (see rudimentary diagram), carbon dioxide is released again when they die from age, disease or fire. That's why planting expansive forests (and protecting the existing ones) is so important. And our ocean's phytoplankton are arguably even more vital in soaking up CO2.

Attachments

• Photosynthesis.jpg
    Photosynthesis.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 0

JPrugh

Envoy
Inner Circle
Thanks @BobG for these recommendations. For anyone looking at installing solar panels (and I have a few!), just be aware that when first installed, they generate much more electricity than they are rated for. That's normal. What is also normal is that over time, they degrade becoming less efficient over the years. Solar panels, like wind turbines, generate direct current (DC) that must be go through a converter to provide alternating current (AC), so there's a small drop in efficiency there. In my experience, you aren't mandated to use a solar PV installation company as any relatively skilled contractor and electrician can install panels. Sadly I've seen homes with solar panels with large trees that cast shadows on a couple of the panels. If all the panels are wired together to act as one, their efficient drops markedly. Shadows on solar panels show that the installer was either dumb or dishonest!! And wash them off occasionally too.

Heat pumps, like air conditioning, operate on the refrigeration cycle, which is designed to move heat. ("Cold" doesn't really exist - think of it as the absence of heat.) This means that any refrigerant must convert from liquid to gas and back to liquid. In the past, ammonia and propane were used because they were cheap, but would poison or burn if they leaked out. Freon damaged the ozone layer. R-32 is the new refrigerant on the block. But be aware that you simply can't put the new refrigerant into an older A/C or heat pump system. Everyone must have a very knowledgable and honest HVAC tech available who really knows the ins and outs of all the different systems out there. Property managers should have detailed information on each property's HVAC system (age, manufacturer model and serial number, type of system, location).

If the heat pump or A/C unit isn't working as well as it used to, clean out the heat exchanger if clogged with dirt, dust or debris. Or see if there's a small leak. If your HVAC system is pushing 15 years old, it may be time for a new one. Look for the highest SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) system that you can afford - the higher ratings become much more expensive.

Hint on insulation and draft-proofing: If you have single or even double-pane windows, consider installing external storm windows or Indow which are storm windows on the inside of the window. This may not work if you have screened windows that crank open. But for larger plate glass windows, see if tinted windows that block UV light are available in your area. Insulated walls and roofs block heat transfer; windows, not much at all.

Attachments

• refrigeration cycle.jpg
    refrigeration cycle.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0

JPrugh

Envoy
Inner Circle
High-humidity environment during high outdoor temperature can tax any refrigeration system, freezing the coils - I saw it in Illinois several years ago. But that's just because there's so much water in the air. Installing an on-demand dehumidifier should take care of the freezing issue. It's not the fault of the heat pump system, which is essentially the same as your typical A/C unit. It's science! ;)

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
Almost without fail the first thing most people mention when talking about being environmentally friendly is that they recycle. It is the first baby step that most of us take to be responsible to our community and the planet. But so many of us don't get it right (within the constraints of what our local authority permits)

From the articles below you can see that much of what we recycle is either not appropriate or ends up in landfill. So following the local rules is important as is demanding that our local council effectively deals with all the rubbish we produce in a sustainable way.

Also perhaps think about recycling as the last thing you do, the last resort when every other possibility has been exhausted. If you reduce what you buy, reuse what you have, refuse excess packaging then recycle what you have left.

Here is what Guesty has to say about making your STR property eco-friendly.

Step Nine - Recycle effectively and understand your impact on the world

Action:
Check that your recycling is effective and the last (not the first) thing that you do
  • Understand the basic facts about recycling, it’s not as obvious as you might think! 11 facts
  • Be aware of the four Rs - Reduce, Re-use, Refuse & Recycle - an action plan
Here is an article with some detailed stats on recycling in the USA

Last edited:

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
High-humidity environment during high outdoor temperature can tax any refrigeration system, freezing the coils - I saw it in Illinois several years ago. But that's just because there's so much water in the air. Installing an on-demand dehumidifier should take care of the freezing issue. It's not the fault of the heat pump system, which is essentially the same as your typical A/C unit. It's science! ;)
Thanks for your posts @JPrugh you are clearly the technical person that I am not! We need these differences in the world. Your insights on the detailed nature of these technologies is fantastic.

JPrugh

Envoy
Inner Circle
Sorry to be a buttinsky again. Your recommendations are comprehensive and absolutely spot on! A couple of suggestions: ask each IC member to understand deeply the local opportunities and limits on recycling in their area. For instance, I heard, but can't substantiate at the moment, that most of the glass recycled in the Denver area ends up in the landfill because the local demand for recycled glass is minimal at best. Denver has gone to a single-stream recycling, so no sorting is required. That said, it is vitally important to keep the non-recyclables out especially Styrofoam, boxes that have greasy food stains, etc. Even in eco-conscious Denver, the recycling levels are not great (30% as I recall). On a somewhat related issue, enjoy this article about NYC's waste.

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
So this is the last in this series of posts focusing on how you can make your VR business more environmentally sustainable. I have tried to focus on what is easy and achievable whilst still making a significant difference to your impact on the planet.

My purpose has been threefold:
  • To raise awareness of the growing trend and market for STRs that are more environmentally friendly
  • To flag up the joint impact of our industry on the planet and what we can do about it
  • To build your brand to appeal to this growing section of the market

Please remember this is not about being perfect or comparing your actions with what someone else is doing. As George Mobiot says “Hypocrisy is the gap between your aspirations and your actions”. We are all hypocrites in this sense but I believe taking some simple environmental steps is within everybody’s grasp.

Step Ten - Pulling it all together

Action:
Understand your carbon footprint, take action and get an accreditation for your business
  • Take a test to understand your carbon footprint (CF) to see where to can make a change
  • Compare your personal CF with the average of someone in your country or in another country (in very many countries the average CF is very low)
  • Develop a plan to reduce your CF
  • Contact one of the specialist OTAs/accreditaion sites and sign up so you can demonstrate to the world your green credentials. There are many to choose from and we discussed them here. For bookings I am currently loving Ecobnb which has worked brilliantly for me this year.
  • Sign up to Tourism Declares. It is free and it sets you on the road to reducing your emissions with support and guidance
  • Use the list you have created of what makes your business green. Take some steps and the start to promote your achievements. Guests and clients will love what you are doing and you will reap the benefits in terms of new clients, more repeat business, fabulous reviews and even press articles.
My purpose in this thread has not been to talk about the science or to attempt to convince you of why we all need to change our behaviour and act. I have assumed that this is generally understood and accepted. For those who want to learn more about why we must adapt and the consequences if we do not, I highly recommend this book which lays out our choices in a clear and easily understood way.
The Future we choose

This thread could continue with many other topics but what we have covered goes a long way to making a huge difference. If I can help anyone then just post here or DM me as many of you have already. Here is the main environment page on my website. If you are not convinced that this strategy works then take a look at my press page or reviews. Good luck with your environmental journey.

I start the next phase of my learning starting this weekend with an intensive 2 week course on climate change and what we need to change to win.

Last edited: