• Vacation rentals can be life-changing. But due to a surge in popularity, the requirements of the job are more challenging than ever. VRMB Communities is a private forum that helps thoughtful owners & managers automate and delegate tasks, so you can focus on the activities that win loyalty and direct bookings. Preview Private Forum Here

A Road Map to Your Environmentally Sustainable Business

Is there a business, in any sector, that would not want to continue to grow and yet be greener and have a lighter impact on the environment? particularly if it can do so with no/low impact on costs. Add into the mix that a business could actually see benefits in terms of:
additional customers, improved bottom line, enhanced reputation, strengthened customer approval, improved branding, differentiation from competitors etc. not to mention being recognised as socially responsible. Seems like a no brainer doesn’t it? So why don't more businesses take action?

Maybe the topic never quite gets to the top of the to-do list or maybe you don’t know where to start.

I strongly believe that building environmentally sustainable into how you operate is a no-lose part of your business plan. Increasingly you will be encouraged to be more sustainable by your guests, by the market and ultimately when looking at what others are doing in your region.

So over the coming weeks I intend to give you a road map, introducing you to some small easy steps that you can take to make your business more environmentally sustainable. Along the way I will also flag up some of the trends/commentary/surveys in our industry that signal why environmental sustainability equals business success.

Each week I am going to post one single action that you can take and explain why it is important. The suggestions are not rocket science and probably you will have heard of most of them before. They are usually easy and they will all make business sense.

Finally before we get started I don’t claim to be an expert by any means so please jump in with your perspectives, ideas and challenges.

Step One - Green Energy Tariff

Most of us don’t review our power supplier often or our tariff with that supplier. Historically most energy comes from fossil fuels which damage our environment and heats up our atmosphere. Switching to a green tariff is easy, often cheaper, great for the planet and makes your business more environmentally sustainable.

Action: Switch to a different energy tariff based on renewable sources.
  • Check your energy bill and see what it says about how the energy was created. There will often be a breakdown explaining the mix of sources of the power e.g. carbon, wind, solar etc
  • If you are not on a fully green tariff contact your supplier and ask about a renewable energy tariff. Remember they are used to these questions and should be able explain your options.
  • If they don’t have an effective green tariff, look for an alternative supplier in your region. In the majority of places there is competition and other companies want your business.
  • Search for ‘green energy’ adding your city, state or country to find suitable suppliers or check out organisations that make comparisons for you
  • Don’t be put off by warnings of the difficulty of changing suppliers. Suppliers rely on you being lazy or scared of change. Inertia in the market hinders innovation and allows suppliers to be unresponsive to changing market forces.
  • Ask around via friends or on social media. People are usually very open to sharing their success stories in finding great green deals.
  • Make the switch and be public about it, it is something to be proud of.
  • Start a list of what makes your business green. Once you have a few steps under your belt you might want to promote your efforts and reap the benefits of being environmentally sustainable. Your guests and clients will love what you are doing. Why wouldn’t they?
This article explains the different levels of green tariffs (some are better than others) and why choosing one sends a powerful message to the energy industry.

If anybody wants my help, just ask.

Last edited:

SScurlock

Envoy
Inner Circle
Yellow Jersey
Have you checked your home power factor?

Thanks for the tip! I will call my power company tomorrow and request they check it. I suspect it may be an issue as the electric bill for our home is always more than that for our son's same-size, similarly built home that is also on the farm, and they keep their temperature several degrees lower than we do.

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
GreenGeeks makes the process pretty simple from my standpoint...although you will need to be familiar with your current hosting c-panel/ftp areas and get that information to them. At that point the carry out the migration for you. They will also handle switching over any domain email accounts also but again will need some technical information from you to handle it for you.

So I'm guessing most who are not familiar with the technical stuff would need about 1 hour's worth of time from the developer of their choice to work with GreenGeeks support and be present to respond to any issues and ensure things get resolved smoothly.

I do this all the time with them for people with live sites rolling and there is minimal to no interruption. Basically we make a copy of the live website and database, move that over, test it and then just reset the domain nameservers to point from the old copy to the new copy.

So no sites are harmed during the migration process, lol.
I came across this interesting site. Enter a a web address and see instantly if the host is powered using renewable energy. If you come up grey then you know to investigate further or consider a switch to an alternative supplier. If you come up green then you get a badge you can put on your website to show the world what you are doing. https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org

Attachments

• 48C42C63-CEF9-456A-9D43-05B39ED89263_4_5005_c.jpeg
    48C42C63-CEF9-456A-9D43-05B39ED89263_4_5005_c.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 0

Debra Dresbach

Envoy
Inner Circle
Is there a business, in any sector, that would not want to continue to grow and yet be greener and have a lighter impact on the environment? particularly if it can do so with no/low impact on costs. Add into the mix that a business could actually see benefits in terms of:
additional customers, improved bottom line, enhanced reputation, strengthened customer approval, improved branding, differentiation from competitors etc. not to mention being recognised as socially responsible. Seems like a no brainer doesn’t it? So why don't more businesses take action?

Maybe the topic never quite gets to the top of the to-do list or maybe you don’t know where to start.

I strongly believe that building environmentally sustainable into how you operate is a no-loose part of your business plan. Increasingly you will be encouraged to be more sustainable by your guests, by the market and ultimately when looking at what others are doing in your region.

So over the coming weeks I intend to give you a road map, introducing you to some small easy steps that you can take to make your business more environmentally sustainable. Along the way I will also flag up some of the trends/commentary/surveys in our industry that signal why environmental sustainability equals business success.

Each week I am going to post one single action that you can take and explain why it is important. The suggestions are not rocket science and probably you will have heard of most of them before. They are usually easy and they will all make business sense.

Finally before we get started I don’t claim to be an expert by any means so please jump in with your perspectives, ideas and challenges.

Step One - Green Energy Tariff

Most of us don’t review our power supplier often or our tariff with that supplier. Historically most energy comes from fossil fuels which damage our environment and heats up our atmosphere. Switching to a green tariff is easy, often cheaper, great for the planet and makes your business more environmentally sustainable.

Action: Switch to a different energy tariff based on renewable sources.
  • Check your energy bill and see what it says about how the energy was created. There will often be a breakdown explaining the mix of sources of the power e.g. carbon, wind, solar etc
  • If you are not on a fully green tariff contact your supplier and ask about a renewable energy tariff. Remember they are used to these questions and should be able explain your options.
  • If they don’t have an effective green tariff, look for an alternative supplier in your region. In the majority of places there is competition and other companies want your business.
  • Search for ‘green energy’ adding your city, state or country to find suitable suppliers or check out organisations that make comparisons for you
  • Don’t be put off by warnings of the difficulty of changing suppliers. Suppliers rely on you being lazy or scared of change. Inertia in the market hinders innovation and allows suppliers to be unresponsive changing market forces.
  • Ask around via friends or on social media. People are usually very open to sharing their success stories in finding great green deals.
  • Make the switch and be public about it, it is something to be proud of.
  • Start a list of what makes your business green. Once you have a few steps under your belt you might want to promote your efforts and reap the benefits of being environmentally sustainable. Your guests and clients will love what you are doing. Why wouldn’t they?
This article explains the different levels of green tariffs (some are better than others) and why choosing one sends a powerful message to the energy industry.

If anybody wants my help, just ask.
Okay, so I googled green energy for Los Angeles and found a wonderful organization called Food & Water Watch, which has a blueprint for writing our mayor to get us on renewable energy by 2030. So I just tweeted that message to Mayor Garcetti. We're choking in smoke here in Cali. Same in Montana. Nearly lost the family farm in Oregon to fire the night before last. I've had it!

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
The fires are truly shocking and my heart goes out to all those affected.
nice work @Debra Dresbach Seems California is already at over 30% powered by renewables. Looks like you have several big players in the green energy space in your area including Deep Green. Each sign up sends a message - to the industry, to the politicians and to your customers.

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
Hey community member, don't skim past this post because it is all about you!

Today the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) produced their latest scientific report on the heating of the planet. This report by 3,000 scientists, based on 14,000 studies and approved by 195 countries alerts 'a code red for humanity'.

There is no bigger threat to your way of life (and your business) and that of your children and grandchildren.

If your house were on fire you'd take drastic action, of course! So what is stopping you on the climate emergency?

I politely ask are you waiting for someone to hand you a solution on a plate?, to tell you what to do? Or perhaps you are confused by what you read and hear? What additional facts are you looking for? You have the capacity to look beyond the next 5 years.

The time is now to take personal responsibility for the things that are within your control and there is so much that you can do, and easily within your business

In this community we have some of the smartest people in our industry. So please act smart on this topic.

If your child or grandchild was in imminent danger you would act immediately to protect them, right? Well they are in serious danger from a creeping threat that will massively affect their lives. All I ask is that look further than now and think about 2030 and beyond.

Your children and grandchildren are relying on you. What more is there to say!

Debra

Casale Prato delle Coccinelle
Inner Circle
@Henrietta here are some of the key green energy suppliers in Italy. I am NOT recommending them all but you can see there is good competition for your green euros.

Dolomiti Energia
È Nostra
Sorgenia
Energia-positiva
NWG
Weforgreen
E-On

Don’t forget to search for a local agency/charity who are set up to advise businesses and individuals go green.
Thank you BobG, for your generosity!

AShenkin

Attaché
Inner Circle
Hi all,
I'm new here, and new to hosting. I'm just getting my property off the ground in Panama, and am keen to hook it into initiatives that benefit locals and benefit local ecosystem conservation there. I have some sniffing around to do, but I think that having local environmental feedbacks as opposed to more abstract (and possibily ineffective) carbon offset schemes makes sense in my case... I'll report back!

BobG

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Wing Fighter
Hi all,
I'm new here, and new to hosting. I'm just getting my property off the ground in Panama, and am keen to hook it into initiatives that benefit locals and benefit local ecosystem conservation there. I have some sniffing around to do, but I think that having local environmental feedbacks as opposed to more abstract (and possibily ineffective) carbon offset schemes makes sense in my case... I'll report back!
Let me know if you need some support