Oldies but Goodies
  1. Oldies but Goodies
BobG

A Road Map For Environmentally Sustainable Vacation Rentals

Are you wondering if making your VR business more environmentally sustainable is relevant to you? then take a look at these two statistics from Booking.com 2019 Sustainable Travel Report

73% of global travellers intending to stay at least once in an eco-friendly or green accommodation when looking at the year ahead.

70% of global travelers say they would be more likely to book an accommodation knowing it was eco-friendly, whether they were looking for a sustainable stay or not.

So why not tap into this market by taking some very simple steps to meet this growing demand?

Baking some sustainable actions into your business now doesn’t need to be complicated or costly and is forward thinking when considering the market changes coming down the line.

Step Two - Energy Efficient Lighting

This is such an easy step and really is a no-brainer of you want to save money, do the right thing for the environment and attract the increasing number of guests looking to make their holiday more sustainable.

Action: Switch out your light bulbs to LED.
  • LED (Light Emitting Diode) light bulbs are the latest technology in bulbs replacing tungsten, fluorescent and halogen incandescent bulbs.
  • Research shows that in a typical home, lighting accounts for 15% of all energy use
  • LED bulbs are the most efficient - lasting up to 20 times longer than a halogen bulb and up to 50 times longer than a incandescent light bulb
  • LED bulbs use only a fraction of the power consumed by other light bulbs - saving you money and causing less damage to the environment
  • Using LED bulbs means less maintenance - they don’t give out so often and so don’t need to be replaced by your staff
  • In Europe and other regions old style light bulbs are being phased out by law in favour of LED
  • The average home in the US has 40 light bulbs. Replacing them with LED could save up to $300 a year in energy costs
  • Start a list of what makes your business green. Once you have a few steps under your belt you might want to promote your efforts and reap the benefits of being environmentally sustainable. Your guests and clients will love what you are doing. Why wouldn’t they?
This article explains everything you will need to know about selecting low energy lighting, the costs, comparisons and the science

Last edited:
Is there a business, in any sector, that would not want to continue to grow and yet be greener and have a lighter impact on the environment? particularly if it can do so with no/low impact on costs. Add into the mix that a business could actually see benefits in terms of:
additional customers, improved bottom line, enhanced reputation, strengthened customer approval, improved branding, differentiation from competitors etc. not to mention being recognised as socially responsible. Seems like a no brainer doesn’t it? So why don't more businesses take action?

Maybe the topic never quite gets to the top of the to-do list or maybe you don’t know where to start.

I strongly believe that building environmentally sustainable into how you operate is a no-lose part of your business plan. Increasingly you will be encouraged to be more sustainable by your guests, by the market and ultimately when looking at what others are doing in your region.

So over the coming weeks I intend to give you a road map, introducing you to some small easy steps that you can take to make your business more environmentally sustainable. Along the way I will also flag up some of the trends/commentary/surveys in our industry that signal why environmental sustainability equals business success.

Each week I am going to post one single action that you can take and explain why it is important. The suggestions are not rocket science and probably you will have heard of most of them before. They are usually easy and they will all make business sense.

Finally before we get started I don’t claim to be an expert by any means so please jump in with your perspectives, ideas and challenges.

Step One - Green Energy Tariff

Most of us don’t review our power supplier often or our tariff with that supplier. Historically most energy comes from fossil fuels which damage our environment and heats up our atmosphere. Switching to a green tariff is easy, often cheaper, great for the planet and makes your business more environmentally sustainable.

Action: Switch to a different energy tariff based on renewable sources.
  • Check your energy bill and see what it says about how the energy was created. There will often be a breakdown explaining the mix of sources of the power e.g. carbon, wind, solar etc
  • If you are not on a fully green tariff contact your supplier and ask about a renewable energy tariff. Remember they are used to these questions and should be able explain your options.
  • If they don’t have an effective green tariff, look for an alternative supplier in your region. In the majority of places there is competition and other companies want your business.
  • Search for ‘green energy’ adding your city, state or country to find suitable suppliers or check out organisations that make comparisons for you
  • Don’t be put off by warnings of the difficulty of changing suppliers. Suppliers rely on you being lazy or scared of change. Inertia in the market hinders innovation and allows suppliers to be unresponsive to changing market forces.
  • Ask around via friends or on social media. People are usually very open to sharing their success stories in finding great green deals.
  • Make the switch and be public about it, it is something to be proud of.
  • Start a list of what makes your business green. Once you have a few steps under your belt you might want to promote your efforts and reap the benefits of being environmentally sustainable. Your guests and clients will love what you are doing. Why wouldn’t they?
This article explains the different levels of green tariffs (some are better than others) and why choosing one sends a powerful message to the energy industry.

If anybody wants my help, just ask.

Last edited:
This is an absolute blast!
I value the IC precisely for the type of help, mentoring and thorough info you are just offering Bob.
I am committed to build a sustainable and socially responsible business, and can't wait to go through the step-by-step guide weekly!
I am starting a list about what makes our business green, and it is a challenge with the high end properties.
Energy is a crucial part, I'm curious if in Rome there's anything available to go greener.
I'd also love to hear experience /best practices of urban destination VRs for going green(er)!

This step has a triple win - it is one of the easiest actions you can take, it is one of the most beautiful and it also has an amazing benefit for the planet. Plant some trees.

Trees are superb at sucking carbon out of the atmosphere and storing it in the tree itself and in the ground (where it originally came from). Trees are the lungs of the planet and are essential for maintaining the healthy air that we breathe. They are a significant tool in mitigating the heating of the climate.

Here is a recent article by Rentals United explaining the growing trend for sustainable travel and vacation rentals. Planting trees is a superb way of making your business more environmentally sustainable.

Step Four - Plant Trees
By planting trees, you can help clean the air and fight climate change!

'The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now' (Chinese Proverb)

Action: Plant your own trees or subscribe to an organisation who will do it on your behalf
  • At your home or your business property plant some trees
  • There are over 60,000 varieties of tree. Choose trees not just by their beauty but ones best suited to your local environment
  • Where possible choose trees that grow quickly so that they can all the sooner suck up more carbon
  • Start to finance tree planting through one of the many organisations set up for this purpose. But choose wisely who you support
  • Introduce a carbon offset scheme for your guests. It is NOT a perfect solution that absolves you and your guests of all responsibility but it is a step in the right direction. Your guests will participate and will appreciate your efforts in helping to green their vacation.
  • Use a site like this to calculate your carbon use and plan how you can reduce it
  • Consider gifting a tree to someone. Most of the organisations working in this area can help you.
This article explains the science behind tree planting to combat the climate crisis.

Last edited:
Plastic is such an insidious if useful product. Can there be anybody left in our industry, or any other, who is not aware of the wastefulness of this product and the damage it is doing to the environment?

Each week there is something in the serious press talking about what the tourist can do in choosing a greener holiday. Of course there are many aspects to an environmentally sustainable holiday but one of the key factors is the accommodation.

More and more travellers are expecting you to be taking some steps to be greener and a significant minority include sustainability in their search criteria.

Here are three facts about plastics:
  • Between 1950 and 2017 we created 9.2 billion tons of plastic.
  • Of that, more than 6.9 billion tons have become waste. Of that waste, a staggering 6.3 billion tons never made it to a recycling bin.
  • Once discarded plastic eventually breaks down into micro-plastic which takes centuries to fully disintegrate
Plastic pollution is perhaps the poster child of environment sustainability. Its negative impact is very widely understood by the public and increasingly vacation rentals hosts will be judged on what they are doing to make a difference on this subject.

Countries, regions and states are introducing bans or limits on single use plastic. Do you know what is coming down the line in your area?

Step Three - Reduce Your Plastic Consumption

Plastic is everywhere and it is extremely difficult to live in the modern world without it. But that does not mean that you can’t be highly selective about when and why you use it.

'The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it' (Robert Swan)

Action:
Eliminate single use plastic in your home and business
  • Bottled water is one of the biggies. Use filter jugs, fitted filters and sparkling machines to remove the need for guests to buy bottled water
  • Support your initiatives with a branded long-life water bottle as a gift to your guests. There are so many companies but I like Jerry*
  • If the coffee culture is big in your area consider a branded cup as a gift for your guest. Half a trillion cups are thrown away each year!
  • Cleaning products usually come in single use dispensers and are incredibly wasteful. Find a supplier that sells in bulk so you can reuse the dispensers. Even better if the product comes dehydrated as it’s transport carbon footprint is much lower
  • Stop using toiletries in bottles and instead fix permanent dispensers in your bathrooms that are refillable
  • Look for other single use plastic items you provide like straws or single use non-compostable bags. Find alternatives or eliminate them
  • Where you use plastic, find out which types are actually recycled/composted in your area. Use that type and recycle it. Only 9% of plastic globally is recycled.
  • Educate your guests about the changes you have made and why. They will support you and appreciate your efforts
This article explains many of the issues around plastic and makes suggestions of changes that you could incorporate into your personal lifestyle and your business.

* If you are going to work with a company then why not choose one with a social conscious? Jerry gives 100% of their profits to fund water projects around the world.

Last edited:
@Henrietta here are some of the key green energy suppliers in Italy. I am NOT recommending them all but you can see there is good competition for your green euros.

Dolomiti Energia
È Nostra
Sorgenia
Energia-positiva
NWG
Weforgreen
E-On

Don’t forget to search for a local agency/charity who are set up to advise businesses and individuals go green.

Found this website: http://competitiveenergy.org for USA. Click on your state and find out if electricity or gas can be sourced from outside your local utility. There may be other websites too.

All my properties have LED lighting, many buildings have solar PV systems, beaucoup insulation, EV charging, etc. My "burr under the saddle" with green advocacy groups is that they never think of fixing up an existing building as "green." National Trust for Historic Preservation has long maintained that the greenest building is the one that has already been built.

Have you checked your home power factor? Inductive load could knock you down to 50-60% effective power. This means you would pay for 2x what you use. Most power companies can set a meter and do a study.
As I understand it, I am not an electrical engineer, modern LED lightbulbs are designed to have a low inductive load and so this should not be an issue in a non commercial building i.e. a residential home or VR. Of course your power company or electrician can advise you if you are concerned. Remember if your lightbulbs are giving out heat that is energy wasted in converting power to light!

JPrugh JPrugh thanks for the useful link. Absolutely, existing properties made greener are usually the best use of resources - spot on.

Sherry Sherry - wow that is a huge electricity bill and where you are based you have the sun to make solar well worthwhile. Is the conversion in your plan?

@Bob, yes going solar is/was on my list of things to do this year but with COVID I've not been able to go to Jamaica and interview the possible vendors myself. Have to be careful with people who claim they are experts. Once travel opens up that's on my list of things to do. Kind of difficult because when things open up I really need to be taking bookings as opposed to being closed to put in a solar system. So much to think about.

We did put in 2 solar water heaters last Summer and that did help. I have changed out some of the older AC units to newer more energy efficient models and have maybe 3 or so more to go. I do need some solar outdoor lights.

A big part of the problem is that the power company has a monopoly. The solar option that I am looking into will allow me to put any extra power back onto the grid. Over time, I want to add more batteries to be able to largely get off the grid. I need to learn more of course.

• Introduce a carbon offset scheme for your guests. It is NOT a perfect solution that absolves you and your guests of all responsibility but it is a step in the right direction. Your guests will participate and will appreciate your efforts in helping to green their vacation.
  • Use a site like this to calculate your carbon use and plan how you can reduce it
absolutely on our list, working on a gif card / booking voucher system where the carbon offset of a flight would be covered by us. still elaborating, but I believe this is something also travellers will pay more attention in the future.

'Save carbon, save money’ says Michael Driedger from Operto who won the 2019 VRTech Start Up competition at the Vacation Rental World Summit. A property management company using technology to help hosts and managers manage remotely.

This topic is about using technology wisely in your vacation rental business to operate more efficiently, communicate your ethos, lower your costs and reduce your impact on the environment.

1. According to Airbnb, 88% of its hosts incorporate some form of green practice into their business. The company says it has seen an “overwhelming desire” from both hosts and guests to take steps to support sustainable travel.
  2. Vacasa, the booking platform has a policy of instigating green initiatives with hosts and plans to introduce property energy audits.
  3. A survey by Travel Technology Europe reveals that 53% of those polled put economic conditions at the top of the list of concerns followed by sustainable travel at 45% and climate change at 44%. The survey, which was completed by travel technology companies, tour operators, travel agents, hoteliers and travel management companies, also reveals that 47% say customers are asking for more "eco-friendly, sustainable travel options."

So there is increasing evidence from surveys and serious players in the market that there is a demand for VRs to be more environmentally sustainable.

Step Five - Which technologies will help your business and be environmentally sustainable
Action:
Seek out technologies to automate your business processes and communicate your ethos.
  • Smart thermostats allow you to control the heating or cooling remotely - reducing your power consumption
  • Voice Assistance Devices like Alexa or Google Assistant can control your smart locks, HVAC, camera, appliances, lights etc (as well as an interactive voice assistance on so many topics for your guests) @DanaY is one of the experts in this field with his company The Virtual Concierge
  • Use a digital guide like TouchStay to inspire your guest post booking and to communicate all your green initiatives. Explain what you are doing and why and seek guests' support during their stay. Highlight other business, activities or experiences that compliment your environmental sustainability. Of course it's digital so less paper used too!

This recent article by PhocusWire is entitled How technology and eco friendly practices are helping short-term rentals go green.

Last edited:
LEDs, smart thermostats, etc. are all fantastic! I'm going to suggest PM$, defined as preventive maintenance makes money. Here are a few examples.
  • All of our properties are heated and cooled with mini splits, which are very efficient heat pumps. A heat pump is exactly that; it pumps heat from the outside to the inside (during the colder seasons) and from the inside to outside (during the warmer season).
  • Some of you may have "swamp coolers" which are use water evaporation to draw heat from inside a building to outside.
  • Some may have window air conditioner, which are frankly "meh" - you can probably do better than that.
  • In every case, set up a maintenance schedule to ensure that your climate control system is working as efficiently as possible. Your maintenance staff should know how to check the level of refrigerant with a pressure gauge. And I hope to high heaven that none of you have Freon anymore as that refrigerant is particularly harmful to the environment - H134A is the standard now, but even that may change soon.
  • We also have the condenser coil which has a fan to blow the heat from the house into your surroundings. Keep in mind that the compressor is usually inside there. If the compressor goes out, you'll know right away when your guests call in a panic.
  • In our neck of the woods, cottonwood "cotton" (its seeds love to drift through the breezes and clog up the condenser fins, drastically reducing its efficiency, so the condensers are cleaned every six weeks or so during the "cotton" season. If you're tempted to flush the condenser with water, wash from the inside to the outside. If you flush from the outside to the inside, dirt particles will become lodged between the thin aluminum fins and permanently reduce efficiency.
For property managers, consider offering a system check for all of your properties. Charge enough to cover your cost and a little more to ensure that the heating/air conditioning systems are working well. This service should be done twice each year: in the cooling season and again for the heating season.

On a side note, if you heat water with electricity, look into those that include a heat pump. The heat pump pulls heat from the air to help heat the water and reduce your electricity usage.

I have a tip that I received from Dawn Dawn when I was discussing moving from GoDaddy to another web site Host- she mentioned Green Geeks. They monitor their carbon footprint, and ( i can't remember the technical stuff), they are supposed to be more green than other Hosts.

Obviously I cannot explain it, but bottom- line, they're green. I went with them, but I was starting out, just building my site, so transition was easy.

I have a tip that I received from Dawn Dawn when I was discussing moving from GoDaddy to another web site Host- she mentioned Green Geeks. They monitor their carbon footprint, and ( i can't remember the technical stuff), they are supposed to be more green than other Hosts.

Thanks Catherine Catherine ( and Dawn Dawn ) I hadn’t heard of them. I timely reminder to check on any supplier and ask them about their green strategy. It’s all about holding everyone accountable and asking them to play their part. https://www.greengeeks.com/

And I just listened to Matt Landau Matt Landau 's latest unlocked interview with Chip Conley which is well worth a listen. I noted another key player in this market - Point Central. A company who specialise in Home automation which includes controlling utilities bills by limiting guests' ability to make extreme changes in temperature at the VR.

And I just listened to Matt Landau Matt Landau 's latest unlocked interview with Chip Conley which is well worth a listen. I noted another key player in this market - Point Central. A company who specialise in Home automation which includes controlling utilities bills by limiting guests' ability to make extreme changes in temperature at the VR.

My Ecobee thermostat gives me remote access, has sensors for each room, allows you to set up a temperature- change schedule, etc. It generates reports, too, telling you what you've saved.
Oh, I can also set a max cool temp that guests cannot override.
I set a sleep temp, away temp, home temp, etc. It let's you control how long guests can set a temp change, too. Very smart.:geek:

Hi, Bo
Plastic is such an insidious if useful product. Can there be anybody left in our industry, or any other, who is not aware of the wastefulness of this product and the damage it is doing to the environment?

Each week there is something in the serious press talking about what the tourist can do in choosing a greener holiday. Of course there are many aspects to an environmentally sustainable holiday but one of the key factors is the accommodation.

More and more travellers are expecting you to be taking some steps to be greener and a significant minority include sustainability in their search criteria.

• Of that, more than 6.9 billion tons have become waste. Of that waste, a staggering 6.3 billion tons never made it to a recycling bin.
  • Once discarded plastic eventually breaks down into micro-plastic which takes centuries to fully disintegrate
Plastic pollution is perhaps the poster child of environment sustainability. Its negative impact is very widely understood by the public and increasingly vacation rentals hosts will be judged on what they are doing to make a difference on this subject.

Countries, regions and states are introducing bans or limits on single use plastic. Do you know what is coming down the line in your area?

Step Three - Reduce Your Plastic Consumption

Plastic is everywhere and it is extremely difficult to live in the modern world without it. But that does not mean that you can’t be highly selective about when and why you use it.

'The greatest threat to our planet is the belief that someone else will save it' (Robert Swan)

Action: Eliminate single use plastic in your home and business
  • Bottled water is one of the biggies. Use filter jugs, fitted filters and sparkling machines to remove the need for guests to buy bottled water
  • Support your initiatives with a branded long-life water bottle as a gift to your guests. There are so many companies but I like Jerry*
  • If the coffee culture is big in your area consider a branded cup as a gift for your guest. Half a trillion cups are thrown away each year!
  • Cleaning products usually come in single use dispensers and are incredibly wasteful. Find a supplier that sells in bulk so you can reuse the dispensers. Even better if the product comes dehydrated as it’s transport carbon footprint is much lower
  • Stop using toiletries in bottles and instead fix permanent dispensers in your bathrooms that are refillable
  • Look for other single use plastic items you provide like straws or single use non-compostable bags. Find alternatives or eliminate them
  • Where you use plastic, find out which types are actually recycled/composted in your area. Use that type and recycle it. Only 9% of plastic globally is recycled.
  • Educate your guests about the changes you have made and why relating to single use plastic. They will support you and appreciate your efforts
This article explains many of the issues around plastic and makes suggestions of changes that you could incorporate into your personal lifestyle and your business.

* If you are going to work with a company then why not choose one with a social conscious? Jerry gives 100% of their profits to fund water projects around the world.

Just ordered 2 Jerry containers. I'm thinking of maybe putting my rental name on them and giving one to a guest as a prize, of sorts...

Thanks Catherine Catherine ( and Dawn Dawn ) I hadn’t heard of them. I timely reminder to check on any supplier and ask them about their green strategy. It’s all about holding everyone accountable and asking them to play their part. https://www.greengeeks.com/

I recommend GreenGeeks to people because they have such great support and a reasonable price point and they are a "Carbon Neutral" hosting service too. I also have personal ear of the CEO, which is nice. Here's their page on their green hosting: https://www.greengeeks.com/going-green

I recommend GreenGeeks to people because they have such great support and a reasonable price point and they are a "Carbon Neutral" hosting service too. I also have personal ear of the CEO, which is nice. Here's their page on their green hosting: https://www.greengeeks.com/going-green
Thanks for this Dawn Dawn for those of us nervous about switching hosting suppliers can you give any advice to achieve a pain free switch?

Thanks for this Dawn Dawn for those of us nervous about switching hosting suppliers can you give any advice to achieve a pain free switch?

GreenGeeks makes the process pretty simple from my standpoint...although you will need to be familiar with your current hosting c-panel/ftp areas and get that information to them. At that point the carry out the migration for you. They will also handle switching over any domain email accounts also but again will need some technical information from you to handle it for you.

So I'm guessing most who are not familiar with the technical stuff would need about 1 hour's worth of time from the developer of their choice to work with GreenGeeks support and be present to respond to any issues and ensure things get resolved smoothly.

I do this all the time with them for people with live sites rolling and there is minimal to no interruption. Basically we make a copy of the live website and database, move that over, test it and then just reset the domain nameservers to point from the old copy to the new copy.

So no sites are harmed during the migration process, lol.

What is the environmental cost of the products you are using?

Almost every product we buy takes some form of energy to produce, transport, sell, consume and dispose of. But not all products for the same purpose are equal in each of these categories. Neither do they all have the same ingredients or the same impact on the environment.

Ingredients - what is included in the product and do they have a negative impact on the environment? e.g. toxins, palm oil, microbeads etc
Production - do you know how and where the product was created? What were the conditions of production for those employed?
Packaging - how is the product packaged? such as single use plastic or excess packaging
Transportation - transport uses carbon, the heavier the item and the greater the distance, the greater the carbon cost
Consumption - How do you use the product, is it efficient and effective in what it does? through the design do you use more of it than is necessary?
Disposal - Once you have used the product what is left? packaging, single use plastic, no recyclable materials?
Company social responsibility - what claims, if any, do the manufacturers make it terms of being responsible to their staff, community and the environment. Do they fund effective works in the community or give away a percentage of profits ? what environmental claims do they make and do they seem credible?

Being environmentally sustainable is not just about the big ticket items like solar panels, sophisticated heating and cooling systems, electric car chargers etc. It is also about the smaller things that you consume and to whom you give your business. These smaller actions are meaningful because they demonstrate that you genuinely care about the environment.

Step Six - Review the products you use and who produces them

Every product we use has consequences for people, communities, nature and the wider environment that we often never come into contact with. They may be out of sight but they don’t have to be out of mind. You have the power to influence what businesses produce and sell. Use your purchasing power with forethought.

Action: Change to products with a lighter environmental footprint from companies that really care
  • Review your consumables against the criteria checklist above, choose alternatives that have a better record
  • Look for products that you rehydrate or use dry concentrated - they weigh much less so have a lower carbon footprint e.g. Splosh, TruEarth
  • Look for companies that minimise packaging and eliminate plastic
  • Look for companies which encourage reuse of the dispenser (a plastic cleaning dispenser has a long life and should not be single use)
  • Look for companies that take lightly from the environment and give back significant profits for social good e.g.Who Gives A Crap toilet paper
  • Look for companies that are certified by external independent organisations who have verified their claims e.g.GreenScents
  • Avoid items with a high environmental impact which also can’t be recycled. e.g. kitchen cleaning scourers often contain oil derivatives and can’t be recycled.
  • Look for companies that are committed to being carbon neutral in their operations e.g. A Good Company
  • Find ethical websites set up to help you evaluate greener products and navigate through the options and criteria e.g My Green Pod or Ethical Consumer
  • Choose products that have demonstrable evidence that they have not been tested on animals
This past thread discusses some issues around eco friendly products - https://community.vrmb.com/index.ph...s-toilet-paper-paper-towels-shampoo-etc.5023/

Last edited:
GreenGeeks makes the process pretty simple from my standpoint...although you will need to be familiar with your current hosting c-panel/ftp areas and get that information to them. At that point the carry out the migration for you. They will also handle switching over any domain email accounts also but again will need some technical information from you to handle it for you.
Thanks for this suggestion Dawn, we are planning our switch to Green Geeks. I will report back on how it went.

Windows and in-ground sprinkler systems...and then there's my hi-efficiency washing machine that seems to use a lot of water?? ( bought in 2006. No drum, so you can put a comforter in there. Electric. ** IF I replaced it- any suggestions?
So, I spent $400 on an energy audit. The one where the guy uses a huge fan installed at the front door and sucks air through the house to see where air is leaking..this determines how much you are heating and cooling the outside. Very, very informative, and includes a proposal showing every tiny place that air is leaking through light fixtures, windows, etc. I also received recommendations on various solutions to these problems. I highly recommend having this done.
I had it done in 2006 for the home that is now my rental property. I ended up replacing all of my old, wood sash windows with the double pane argon gas kind. Easy to open in case of fire, too! ( I replaced all 13 windows. No regrets)
My in-ground sprinkler system came with the house. It's a 3-zone kind, and when the pop-up heads worked, I set it on every morning around 530 AM 2-3 times per week for about 20 minutes each time. The only problem are the heads. If you aerate, the machine can tear up a head. I marked each head with a little flag, but they were moved/destroyed, don't know.
Since I manage remotely, I can't monitor the system, and my Host just can't seem to figure out the mechanics of it.
ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR REPLACEMENT? I sure would love an affordable system that I could manage remotely.
One day I will blog how difficult it is to manage a STR remotely!!!!
Thanks for reading! cp
And, BobG BobG , I cannot (y) ( thank you) enough for your suggestions and feedback. You really are a priceless resource for this topic! :giggle:

You may have noticed a theme running through this thread on making your business environmentally sustainable - the actions are usually very easy and cost you little or normally save you money! They also create a new and exciting aspect to your brand that lets you attract an audience that you didn’t appeal to before.

The topic this week is about avoiding waste.

According to the Oxford English dictionary waste is ‘to use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose'

When you waste a resource it is not only costing you money but it has a negative impact on the planet. Everything we use or consume took some form of energy to create, package, deliver etc. If we minimise what we waste we consume less and so reduce our carbon footprint.

Here is a typical eco site aimed at the green traveller, check out what language they use and the tips they give to travellers looking for eco-friendly aspects to their trip.

Step Seven - Where is there waste in your business?

Action:
Examine the topics below, where you are wasting resources that you have paid for?
  • Water - fit water restrictors on your taps and showers and follow these other steps
  • HVAC - review how effective your systems are and follow this advice
  • Food - we waste about a third of all food produced for human consumption. Here are some actions you can take to reduce this and help others
Here are 8 ways to reduce waste in your business

Last edited:
Windows and in-ground sprinkler systems...and then there's my hi-efficiency washing machine that seems to use a lot of water?? ( bought in 2006. No drum, so you can put a comforter in there. Electric. ** IF I replaced it- any suggestions?
So, I spent $400 on an energy audit.
And, BobG BobG , I cannot (y) ( thank you) enough for your suggestions and feedback. You really are a priceless resource for this topic! :giggle:
I have read about home energy audits and watched the videos but it is interesting to hear your perspective and the actions you took - a brilliant green action to shout about!
As we all know the science and effectiveness of appliances like washing machines has changed massively even in the last 10 years. Here is a site which gives comparisons between different rated washing machines in terms of power used and water saved. The results are amazing. Of course you have to factor in the energy expended in building the machine so there is a judgement to be made about when one should replace equipment. (note the site is from the UK so the measurements are in KGs but you can do the maths)

Almost of the topics mentioned so far in this thread have involved relatively small changes in your business, even though their impacts can be significant. But there are some more substantial changes that you can make that set you apart as a seriously environmentally sustainable business.

We can define these as an investment in the technological kit which loosens your ties or dependence to traditional energy sources.

If you are starting out with a new property it is of course so easy to build this technology into the building at a competitive cost. But most of us aren’t in that situation so some of these innovations are best instigated when it is time to renew or overhaul the existing systems or when grants are available.

And remember many of these systems are still designed to save you money when you consider the savings made over the lifetime of the equipment or installation.

Look out for Government/state/city incentives that periodically come around to encourage you to move to greater environmental sustainability.

Here is a typical article on how the public can choose eco-friendly accommodation. Take a look and see what a growing segment of the travel market is looking for and see how you compare.

Step Eight - What are the bigger ticket environmental changes you could make in your business?

Action
: Explore some of the technologies that will be both environmentally friendly and cut your ongoing costs.
  • Solar panels - a technology that continues to get more efficient and cheaper to buy and install
  • Heat pumps - like an AC unit only in reverse, changing cold air into warm
  • Electric vehicle charger - more of your guests will be driving an EV and will be looking for hosts who can accommodate them
  • Domestic heat exchanger - cross ventilation in a home
  • Insulation and draft-proofing - without effective insulation you are wasting money heating or cooling a home
Here is an article with 9 green technologies to consider when building a new home (or even upgrading an existing property)

Last edited:
@Bob a friend installed some solar panels on her roof last year. I'll have to ask her about the cost savings, etc. It's on my 5- year wish list.
Your suggestion for looking in to green initiatives offered by the power company is spot on! We have various options, as I just learned, to go greener with our electricity. I will investigate further.
Further research is required regarding my washing machine as I don't have the funds to replace it. Don't want to anyway. Just wanted your advice, as always ..lol!
Side note- my current guest somehow messed up my dishwasher so it leaks...off and on. Hope it's just a "user error"..o_O:poop:

@Bob a friend installed some solar panels on her roof last year. I'll have to ask her about the cost savings, etc. It's on my 5- year wish list.
Your suggestion for looking in to green initiatives offered by the power company is spot on! We have various options, as I just learned, to go greener with our electricity. I will investigate further.
Further research is required regarding my washing machine as I don't have the funds to replace it. Don't want to anyway. Just wanted your advice, as always ..lol!
Side note- my current guest somehow messed up my dishwasher so it leaks...off and on. Hope it's just a "user error"..o_O:poop:
"Heat pumps - like an AC unit only in reverse, changing cold air into warm"
My experience with a heat pump was not good. It seems that a high-humidity environment tends to freeze the coils in super cold weather...Atlanta super cold is low 'teens...???

I agree BobG BobG that planting trees is crucial. Not to be the t**d in the punchbowl, but while trees are excellent at converting carbon dioxide through photosynthesis (see rudimentary diagram), carbon dioxide is released again when they die from age, disease or fire. That's why planting expansive forests (and protecting the existing ones) is so important. And our ocean's phytoplankton are arguably even more vital in soaking up CO2.

Attachments

• Photosynthesis.jpg
    Photosynthesis.jpg
    184 KB
Thanks BobG BobG for these recommendations. For anyone looking at installing solar panels (and I have a few!), just be aware that when first installed, they generate much more electricity than they are rated for. That's normal. What is also normal is that over time, they degrade becoming less efficient over the years. Solar panels, like wind turbines, generate direct current (DC) that must be go through a converter to provide alternating current (AC), so there's a small drop in efficiency there. In my experience, you aren't mandated to use a solar PV installation company as any relatively skilled contractor and electrician can install panels. Sadly I've seen homes with solar panels with large trees that cast shadows on a couple of the panels. If all the panels are wired together to act as one, their efficient drops markedly. Shadows on solar panels show that the installer was either dumb or dishonest!! And wash them off occasionally too.

Heat pumps, like air conditioning, operate on the refrigeration cycle, which is designed to move heat. ("Cold" doesn't really exist - think of it as the absence of heat.) This means that any refrigerant must convert from liquid to gas and back to liquid. In the past, ammonia and propane were used because they were cheap, but would poison or burn if they leaked out. Freon damaged the ozone layer. R-32 is the new refrigerant on the block. But be aware that you simply can't put the new refrigerant into an older A/C or heat pump system. Everyone must have a very knowledgable and honest HVAC tech available who really knows the ins and outs of all the different systems out there. Property managers should have detailed information on each property's HVAC system (age, manufacturer model and serial number, type of system, location).

If the heat pump or A/C unit isn't working as well as it used to, clean out the heat exchanger if clogged with dirt, dust or debris. Or see if there's a small leak. If your HVAC system is pushing 15 years old, it may be time for a new one. Look for the highest SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio) system that you can afford - the higher ratings become much more expensive.

Hint on insulation and draft-proofing: If you have single or even double-pane windows, consider installing external storm windows or Indow which are storm windows on the inside of the window. This may not work if you have screened windows that crank open. But for larger plate glass windows, see if tinted windows that block UV light are available in your area. Insulated walls and roofs block heat transfer; windows, not much at all.

Attachments

• refrigeration cycle.jpg
    refrigeration cycle.jpg
    79.8 KB
High-humidity environment during high outdoor temperature can tax any refrigeration system, freezing the coils - I saw it in Illinois several years ago. But that's just because there's so much water in the air. Installing an on-demand dehumidifier should take care of the freezing issue. It's not the fault of the heat pump system, which is essentially the same as your typical A/C unit. It's science! ;)

Almost without fail the first thing most people mention when talking about being environmentally friendly is that they recycle. It is the first baby step that most of us take to be responsible to our community and the planet. But so many of us don't get it right (within the constraints of what our local authority permits)

From the articles below you can see that much of what we recycle is either not appropriate or ends up in landfill. So following the local rules is important as is demanding that our local council effectively deals with all the rubbish we produce in a sustainable way.

Also perhaps think about recycling as the last thing you do, the last resort when every other possibility has been exhausted. If you reduce what you buy, reuse what you have, refuse excess packaging then recycle what you have left.

Here is what Guesty has to say about making your STR property eco-friendly.

Step Nine - Recycle effectively and understand your impact on the world

Action:
Check that your recycling is effective and the last (not the first) thing that you do
  • Understand the basic facts about recycling, it’s not as obvious as you might think! 11 facts
  • Be aware of the four Rs - Reduce, Re-use, Refuse & Recycle - an action plan
Here is an article with some detailed stats on recycling in the USA

Last edited:
High-humidity environment during high outdoor temperature can tax any refrigeration system, freezing the coils - I saw it in Illinois several years ago. But that's just because there's so much water in the air. Installing an on-demand dehumidifier should take care of the freezing issue. It's not the fault of the heat pump system, which is essentially the same as your typical A/C unit. It's science! ;)
Thanks for your posts JPrugh JPrugh you are clearly the technical person that I am not! We need these differences in the world. Your insights on the detailed nature of these technologies is fantastic.

Sorry to be a buttinsky again. Your recommendations are comprehensive and absolutely spot on! A couple of suggestions: ask each IC member to understand deeply the local opportunities and limits on recycling in their area. For instance, I heard, but can't substantiate at the moment, that most of the glass recycled in the Denver area ends up in the landfill because the local demand for recycled glass is minimal at best. Denver has gone to a single-stream recycling, so no sorting is required. That said, it is vitally important to keep the non-recyclables out especially Styrofoam, boxes that have greasy food stains, etc. Even in eco-conscious Denver, the recycling levels are not great (30% as I recall). On a somewhat related issue, enjoy this article about NYC's waste.

So this is the last in this series of posts focusing on how you can make your VR business more environmentally sustainable. I have tried to focus on what is easy and achievable whilst still making a significant difference to your impact on the planet.

My purpose has been threefold:
  • To raise awareness of the growing trend and market for STRs that are more environmentally friendly
  • To flag up the joint impact of our industry on the planet and what we can do about it
  • To build your brand to appeal to this growing section of the market

Please remember this is not about being perfect or comparing your actions with what someone else is doing. As George Mobiot says “Hypocrisy is the gap between your aspirations and your actions”. We are all hypocrites in this sense but I believe taking some simple environmental steps is within everybody’s grasp.

Step Ten - Pulling it all together

Action:
Understand your carbon footprint, take action and get an accreditation for your business
  • Take a test to understand your carbon footprint (CF) to see where to can make a change
  • Compare your personal CF with the average of someone in your country or in another country (in very many countries the average CF is very low)
  • Develop a plan to reduce your CF
  • Contact one of the specialist OTAs/accreditaion sites and sign up so you can demonstrate to the world your green credentials. There are many to choose from and we discussed them here. For bookings I am currently loving Ecobnb which has worked brilliantly for me this year.
  • Sign up to Tourism Declares. It is free and it sets you on the road to reducing your emissions with support and guidance
  • Use the list you have created of what makes your business green. Take some steps and the start to promote your achievements. Guests and clients will love what you are doing and you will reap the benefits in terms of new clients, more repeat business, fabulous reviews and even press articles.
My purpose in this thread has not been to talk about the science or to attempt to convince you of why we all need to change our behaviour and act. I have assumed that this is generally understood and accepted. For those who want to learn more about why we must adapt and the consequences if we do not, I highly recommend this book which lays out our choices in a clear and easily understood way.
The Future we choose

This thread could continue with many other topics but what we have covered goes a long way to making a huge difference. If I can help anyone then just post here or DM me as many of you have already. Here is the main environment page on my website. If you are not convinced that this strategy works then take a look at my press page or reviews. Good luck with your environmental journey.

I start the next phase of my learning starting this weekend with an intensive 2 week course on climate change and what we need to change to win.

Last edited:
Have you checked your home power factor?

Thanks for the tip! I will call my power company tomorrow and request they check it. I suspect it may be an issue as the electric bill for our home is always more than that for our son's same-size, similarly built home that is also on the farm, and they keep their temperature several degrees lower than we do.

So I'm guessing most who are not familiar with the technical stuff would need about 1 hour's worth of time from the developer of their choice to work with GreenGeeks support and be present to respond to any issues and ensure things get resolved smoothly.

I do this all the time with them for people with live sites rolling and there is minimal to no interruption. Basically we make a copy of the live website and database, move that over, test it and then just reset the domain nameservers to point from the old copy to the new copy.

So no sites are harmed during the migration process, lol.
I came across this interesting site. Enter a a web address and see instantly if the host is powered using renewable energy. If you come up grey then you know to investigate further or consider a switch to an alternative supplier. If you come up green then you get a badge you can put on your website to show the world what you are doing. https://www.thegreenwebfoundation.org

Attachments

• 48C42C63-CEF9-456A-9D43-05B39ED89263_4_5005_c.jpeg
    48C42C63-CEF9-456A-9D43-05B39ED89263_4_5005_c.jpeg
    15 KB
Is there a business, in any sector, that would not want to continue to grow and yet be greener and have a lighter impact on the environment? particularly if it can do so with no/low impact on costs. Add into the mix that a business could actually see benefits in terms of:
additional customers, improved bottom line, enhanced reputation, strengthened customer approval, improved branding, differentiation from competitors etc. not to mention being recognised as socially responsible. Seems like a no brainer doesn’t it? So why don't more businesses take action?

Maybe the topic never quite gets to the top of the to-do list or maybe you don’t know where to start.

I strongly believe that building environmentally sustainable into how you operate is a no-loose part of your business plan. Increasingly you will be encouraged to be more sustainable by your guests, by the market and ultimately when looking at what others are doing in your region.

So over the coming weeks I intend to give you a road map, introducing you to some small easy steps that you can take to make your business more environmentally sustainable. Along the way I will also flag up some of the trends/commentary/surveys in our industry that signal why environmental sustainability equals business success.

Each week I am going to post one single action that you can take and explain why it is important. The suggestions are not rocket science and probably you will have heard of most of them before. They are usually easy and they will all make business sense.

Finally before we get started I don’t claim to be an expert by any means so please jump in with your perspectives, ideas and challenges.

Step One - Green Energy Tariff

Most of us don’t review our power supplier often or our tariff with that supplier. Historically most energy comes from fossil fuels which damage our environment and heats up our atmosphere. Switching to a green tariff is easy, often cheaper, great for the planet and makes your business more environmentally sustainable.

Action: Switch to a different energy tariff based on renewable sources.
  • Check your energy bill and see what it says about how the energy was created. There will often be a breakdown explaining the mix of sources of the power e.g. carbon, wind, solar etc
  • If you are not on a fully green tariff contact your supplier and ask about a renewable energy tariff. Remember they are used to these questions and should be able explain your options.
  • If they don’t have an effective green tariff, look for an alternative supplier in your region. In the majority of places there is competition and other companies want your business.
  • Search for ‘green energy’ adding your city, state or country to find suitable suppliers or check out organisations that make comparisons for you
  • Don’t be put off by warnings of the difficulty of changing suppliers. Suppliers rely on you being lazy or scared of change. Inertia in the market hinders innovation and allows suppliers to be unresponsive changing market forces.
  • Ask around via friends or on social media. People are usually very open to sharing their success stories in finding great green deals.
This article explains the different levels of green tariffs (some are better than others) and why choosing one sends a powerful message to the energy industry.

If anybody wants my help, just ask.
Okay, so I googled green energy for Los Angeles and found a wonderful organization called Food & Water Watch, which has a blueprint for writing our mayor to get us on renewable energy by 2030. So I just tweeted that message to Mayor Garcetti. We're choking in smoke here in Cali. Same in Montana. Nearly lost the family farm in Oregon to fire the night before last. I've had it!

The fires are truly shocking and my heart goes out to all those affected.
nice work Debra Dresbach Debra Dresbach Seems California is already at over 30% powered by renewables. Looks like you have several big players in the green energy space in your area including Deep Green. Each sign up sends a message - to the industry, to the politicians and to your customers.

Hey community member, don't skim past this post because it is all about you!

Today the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) produced their latest scientific report on the heating of the planet. This report by 3,000 scientists, based on 14,000 studies and approved by 195 countries alerts 'a code red for humanity'.

There is no bigger threat to your way of life (and your business) and that of your children and grandchildren.

If your house were on fire you'd take drastic action, of course! So what is stopping you on the climate emergency?

I politely ask are you waiting for someone to hand you a solution on a plate?, to tell you what to do? Or perhaps you are confused by what you read and hear? What additional facts are you looking for? You have the capacity to look beyond the next 5 years.

The time is now to take personal responsibility for the things that are within your control and there is so much that you can do, and easily within your business

In this community we have some of the smartest people in our industry. So please act smart on this topic.

If your child or grandchild was in imminent danger you would act immediately to protect them, right? Well they are in serious danger from a creeping threat that will massively affect their lives. All I ask is that look further than now and think about 2030 and beyond.

Your children and grandchildren are relying on you. What more is there to say!

@Henrietta here are some of the key green energy suppliers in Italy. I am NOT recommending them all but you can see there is good competition for your green euros.

Dolomiti Energia
È Nostra
Sorgenia
Energia-positiva
NWG
Weforgreen
E-On

Don’t forget to search for a local agency/charity who are set up to advise businesses and individuals go green.
Thank you BobG, for your generosity!

Hi all,
I'm new here, and new to hosting. I'm just getting my property off the ground in Panama, and am keen to hook it into initiatives that benefit locals and benefit local ecosystem conservation there. I have some sniffing around to do, but I think that having local environmental feedbacks as opposed to more abstract (and possibily ineffective) carbon offset schemes makes sense in my case... I'll report back!

Hi all,
I'm new here, and new to hosting. I'm just getting my property off the ground in Panama, and am keen to hook it into initiatives that benefit locals and benefit local ecosystem conservation there. I have some sniffing around to do, but I think that having local environmental feedbacks as opposed to more abstract (and possibily ineffective) carbon offset schemes makes sense in my case... I'll report back!
Let me know if you need some support

Is there a business, in any sector, which would not want to continue to grow, yet be greener and have a lighter impact on the environment? Particularly if it can do so with no/low impact on costs. Add into the mix that a business could actually see tangible benefits in terms of additional customers, improved bottom line, enhanced reputation, strengthened customer approval, revamped branding and differentiation from competitors. Not to forget being recognised as socially responsible. Seems like a no-brainer doesn’t it? So why don't more businesses take action?

Maybe the topic never quite gets to the top of the to-do list or maybe you just don’t know where to start.

I believe passionately that building environmental sustainability into how you operate should be a key part of your business plan. Increasingly you will be encouraged to be more sustainable by your guests, through legislation and ultimately by your competitors. So act now!

Here are ten actions which create a road map for you to transform your business into one that is environmentally sustainable. Along the way I will also flag up some of the trends/commentary/surveys in our industry that signal why environmental sustainability equals business success. The suggestions are not rocket science and probably you will have heard of most of them before. They are usually easy to do and they all make business sense.

This is a long article because it is a comprehensive road map. Obviously you can take it in one bite or just dip in at any point and make a start. Each action stands alone but taken all together will make you an environmental genius.

Step One -Convert to Green Energy Tariff​

Most of us rarely review our power supplier or our tariff with our supplier. Historically most energy comes from fossil fuels which pollute our environment and heats up our atmosphere. Switching to a green tariff is easy, often cheaper, great for the planet and makes your business more environmentally sustainable.

Action: Switch to an energy tariff based on renewable resources
  • Check your energy bill and see what it says about how the energy was created. There will often be a breakdown explaining the mix of resources e.g. carbon, wind, solar etc.
  • If you are not on a fully green tariff contact your supplier and ask about a renewable energy tariff. Remember they are familiar with these questions and should be able explain your options.
  • If they don’t have an effective green tariff, look for an alternative supplier in your region. In the majority of places there is competition and other suppliers want your business.
  • Search online for ‘green energy’ adding your city, state or country to find suitable suppliers or check out organisations that make comparisons for you.
  • Don’t be put off by warnings of the difficulty of changing suppliers. Suppliers rely on you being lazy or scared of change. Inertia in the market hinders innovation and allows suppliers to be unresponsive to changing market forces.
This article explains the different levels of green tariffs (some are better than others) and why choosing one sends a powerful message to the energy industry and your clients.

Start a list of what makes your business green, you might be surprised about where you are on your eco-friendly journey. Commit to adding two new green initiatives in the next 6 months - Bam! you are already on your way.

Step Two - Install Energy Efficient Lighting​

Are you wondering if making your VR business more environmentally sustainable is relevant to you? Then take a look at these two statistics from Booking.com’s 2019 Sustainable Travel Report
  • 73% of global travellers intend to stay at least once in an eco-friendly or green accommodation when looking at the year ahead.
  • 70% of global travelers say they would be more likely to book an accommodation knowing it was eco-friendly, whether they were looking for a sustainable stay or not.
So why not tap into this market by taking some very simple steps to meet this growing demand? This easy step is a win, win, win - you save money, you do the right thing for the environment and you are more appealing to the increasing number of guests looking for an eco-friendly vacation.

Action: Switch out your light bulbs to LED
  • LED (Light Emitting Diode) is the latest technology in light bulbs replacing tungsten, fluorescent and halogen.
  • Research shows that in a typical home, lighting accounts for 15% of all energy use.
  • LED bulbs are the most efficient - lasting up to 50 times longer than old style bulbs.
  • LED bulbs use only a fraction of the power consumed by other light bulbs - saving you money and causing less damage to the environment.
  • Using LED bulbs means less maintenance - they don’t give out so often and so don’t need to be replaced by your staff.
  • In Europe and other regions old style light bulbs are being phased out by law in favour of LED.
  • The average home in the US has 40 light bulbs. Replacing them with LED could save up to $300 a year in energy costs.
This article explains everything you will need to know about selecting low energy lighting, the costs, comparisons and the science.

Step Three - Reduce Plastic Consumption​

Action: Eliminate single use plastic in your home and business
  • Educate your guests about the changes you have made and why. They will support you and appreciate your efforts

Step Four - Plant Trees
This step has a triple win - it is one of the easiest actions you can take, it is one of the most beautiful and it also has an amazing benefit for the planet. Plant some trees.

Trees are superb at sucking carbon out of the atmosphere and storing it in the tree itself and in the ground (where it originally came from). Trees are the lungs of the planet and are essential for maintaining the healthy air that we breathe. They are a significant tool in mitigating the heating of the climate.

Here is a recent article by Rentals United explaining the growing trend for sustainable travel and vacation rentals. Planting trees is a superb way of making your business more environmentally sustainable.

By planting trees, you can help clean the air and fight climate change!

'The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now' (Chinese Proverb)

Action: Plant your own trees or subscribe to an organisation who will do it on your behalf
  • At your home or your business property plant some trees
  • There are over 60,000 varieties of tree. Choose trees not just by their beauty but ones best suited to your local environment
  • Where possible choose trees that grow quickly so that they can all the sooner suck up more carbon
  • Start to finance tree planting through one of the many organisations set up for this purpose. But choose wisely who you support
  • Consider gifting a tree to someone. Most of the organisations working in this area can help you.
This article explains the science behind tree planting to combat the climate crisis.

Step Five - Which technologies will help your business and be environmentally sustainable

'Save carbon, save money’ says Michael Driedger from Operto who won the 2019 VRTech Start Up competition at the Vacation Rental World Summit. A property management company using technology to help hosts and managers manage remotely.

This topic is about using technology wisely in your vacation rental business to operate more efficiently, communicate your ethos, lower your costs and reduce your impact on the environment.
  1. According to Airbnb, 88% of its hosts incorporate some form of green practice into their business. The company says it has seen an “overwhelming desire” from both hosts and guests to take steps to support sustainable travel.
  2. Vacasa, the booking platform has a policy of instigating green initiatives with hosts and plans to introduce property energy audits.
  3. A survey by Travel Technology Europe reveals that 53% of those polled put economic conditions at the top of the list of concerns followed by sustainable travel at 45% and climate change at 44%. The survey, which was completed by travel technology companies, tour operators, travel agents, hoteliers and travel management companies, also reveals that 47% say customers are asking for more "eco-friendly, sustainable travel options."
So there is increasing evidence from surveys and serious players in the market that there is a demand for VRs to be more environmentally sustainable.

Action: Seek out technologies to automate your business processes and communicate your ethos.
  • Smart thermostats allow you to control the heating or cooling remotely - reducing your power consumption
  • Voice Assistance Devices like Alexa or Google Assistant can control your smart locks, HVAC, camera, appliances, lights etc (as well as an interactive voice assistance on so many topics for your guests) @DanaY is one of the experts in this field with his company The Virtual Concierge
  • Use a digital guide like TouchStay to inspire your guest post booking and to communicate all your green initiatives. Explain what you are doing and why and seek guests' support during their stay. Highlight other business, activities or experiences that compliment your environmental sustainability. Of course it's digital so less paper used too!
This recent article by PhocusWire is entitled How technology and eco friendly practices are helping short-term rentals go green.

Step Six - Review the products you use and who produces them
What is the environmental cost of the products you are using?

Almost every product we buy takes some form of energy to produce, transport, sell, consume and dispose of. But not all products for the same purpose are equal in each of these categories. Neither do they all have the same ingredients or the same impact on the environment.

Ingredients - what is included in the product and do they have a negative impact on the environment? e.g. toxins, palm oil, microbeads etc
Production - do you know how and where the product was created? What were the conditions of production for those employed?
Packaging - how is the product packaged? such as single use plastic or excess packaging
Transportation - transport uses carbon, the heavier the item and the greater the distance, the greater the carbon cost
Consumption - How do you use the product, is it efficient and effective in what it does? through the design do you use more of it than is necessary?
Disposal - Once you have used the product what is left? packaging, single use plastic, no recyclable materials?
Company social responsibility - what claims, if any, do the manufacturers make it terms of being responsible to their staff, community and the environment. Do they fund effective works in the community or give away a percentage of profits ? what environmental claims do they make and do they seem credible?

Being environmentally sustainable is not just about the big ticket items like solar panels, sophisticated heating and cooling systems, electric car chargers etc. It is also about the smaller things that you consume and to whom you give your business. These smaller actions are meaningful because they demonstrate that you genuinely care about the environment.

Every product we use has consequences for people, communities, nature and the wider environment that we often never come into contact with. They may be out of sight but they don’t have to be out of mind. You have the power to influence what businesses produce and sell. Use your purchasing power with forethought.

Action: Change to products with a lighter environmental footprint from companies that really care
  • Review your consumables against the criteria checklist above, choose alternatives that have a better record
  • Look for products that you rehydrate or use dry concentrated - they weigh much less so have a lower carbon footprint e.g. Splosh, TruEarth
  • Look for companies that minimise packaging and eliminate plastic
  • Look for companies which encourage reuse of the dispenser (a plastic cleaning dispenser has a long life and should not be single use)
  • Look for companies that take lightly from the environment and give back significant profits for social good e.g.Who Gives A Crap toilet paper
  • Look for companies that are certified by external independent organisations who have verified their claims e.g.GreenScents
  • Avoid items with a high environmental impact which also can’t be recycled. e.g. kitchen cleaning scourers often contain oil derivatives and can’t be recycled.
  • Look for companies that are committed to being carbon neutral in their operations e.g. A Good Company
  • Find ethical websites set up to help you evaluate greener products and navigate through the options and criteria e.g My Green Pod or Ethical Consumer
  • Choose products that have demonstrable evidence that they have not been tested on animals
This past thread discusses some issues around eco friendly products - https://community.vrmb.com/index.ph...s-toilet-paper-paper-towels-shampoo-etc.5023/

You may have noticed a theme running through this thread on making your business environmentally sustainable - the actions are usually very easy and cost you little or normally save you money! They also create a new and exciting aspect to your brand that lets you attract an audience that you didn’t appeal to before.

Step Seven - Where is there waste in your business?

According to the Oxford English dictionary waste is ‘to use or expend carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose'

When you waste a resource it is not only costing you money but it has a negative impact on the planet. Everything we use or consume took some form of energy to create, package, deliver etc. If we minimise what we waste we consume less and so reduce our carbon footprint.

Here is a typical eco site aimed at the green traveller, check out what language they use and the tips they give to travellers looking for eco-friendly aspects to their trip.

Action: Examine the topics below, where you are wasting resources that you have paid for?
  • Water - fit water restrictors on your taps and showers and follow these other steps
  • HVAC - review how effective your systems are and follow this advice
  • Food - we waste about a third of all food produced for human consumption. Here are some actions you can take to reduce this and help others
Here are 8 ways to reduce waste in your business

Step Eight - What are the bigger ticket environmental changes you could make in your business?
Almost of the topics mentioned so far in this article have involved relatively small changes in your business, even though their impacts can be significant. But there are some more substantial changes that you can make that set you apart as a seriously environmentally sustainable business.

We can define these as an investment in the technological kit which loosens your ties or dependence to traditional energy sources.

If you are starting out with a new property it is of course so easy to build this technology into the building at a competitive cost. But most of us aren’t in that situation so some of these innovations are best instigated when it is time to renew or overhaul the existing systems or when grants are available.

And remember many of these systems are still designed to save you money when you consider the savings made over the lifetime of the equipment or installation.

Look out for Government/state/city incentives that periodically come around to encourage you to move to greater environmental sustainability.

Here is a typical article on how the public can choose eco-friendly accommodation. Take a look and see what a growing segment of the travel market is looking for and see how you compare.

Action: Explore some of the technologies that will be both environmentally friendly and cut your ongoing costs.
  • Solar panels - a technology that continues to get more efficient and cheaper to buy and install
  • Heat pumps - like an AC unit only in reverse, changing cold air into warm
  • Electric vehicle charger - more of your guests will be driving an EV and will be looking for hosts who can accommodate them
  • Domestic heat exchanger - cross ventilation in a home
  • Insulation and draft-proofing - without effective insulation you are wasting money heating or cooling a home
Here is an article with 9 green technologies to consider when building a new home (or even upgrading an existing property)

Step Nine - Recycle effectively and understand your impact on the world
Almost without fail the first thing most people mention when talking about being environmentally friendly is that they recycle. It is the first baby step that most of us take to be responsible to our community and the planet. But so many of us don't get it right (within the constraints of what our local authority permits)

From the articles below you can see that much of what we recycle is either not appropriate or ends up in landfill. So following the local rules is important as is demanding that our local council effectively deals with all the rubbish we produce in a sustainable way.

Also perhaps think about recycling as the last thing you do, the last resort when every other possibility has been exhausted. If you reduce what you buy, reusewhat you have, refuse excess packaging then recycle what you have left.

Here is what Guesty has to say about making your STR property eco-friendly.

Action: Check that your recycling is effective and the last (not the first) thing that you do
  • Understand the basic facts about recycling, it’s not as obvious as you might think! 11 facts
  • Be aware of the four Rs - Reduce, Re-use, Refuse & Recycle - an action plan
Here is an article with some detailed stats on recycling in the USA

Step Ten - Pulling it all together
So this is the last in my team steps to help make your VR business more environmentally sustainable. I have tried to focus on what is easy and achievable whilst still making a significant difference to your impact on the planet.

My purpose has been threefold:
  • To raise awareness of the growing trend and market for STRs that are more environmentally friendly
  • To flag up the joint impact of our industry on the planet and what we can do about it
  • To build your brand to appeal to this growing section of the market

Please remember this is not about being perfect or comparing your actions with what someone else is doing. As George Mobiot says “Hypocrisy is the gap between your aspirations and your actions”. We are all hypocrites in this sense but I believe taking some simple environmental steps is within everybody’s grasp.

Action: Understand your carbon footprint, take action and get an accreditation for your business
  • Take a test to understand your carbon footprint (CF) to see where to can make a change
  • Compare your personal CF with the average of someone in your country or in another country (in very many countries the average CF is very low)
  • Develop a plan to reduce your CF
  • Contact one of the specialist OTAs/accreditaion sites and sign up so you can demonstrate to the world your green credentials. There are many to choose from and we discussed them here. For bookings I am currently loving Ecobnb which has worked brilliantly for me this year.
  • Sign up to Tourism Declares. It is free and it sets you on the road to reducing your emissions with support and guidance
  • Use the list you have created of what makes your business green. Take some steps and the start to promote your achievements. Guests and clients will love what you are doing and you will reap the benefits in terms of new clients, more repeat business, fabulous reviews and even press articles.
My purpose in this article has not been to talk about the science or to attempt to convince you of why we all need to change our behaviour and act. I have assumed that this is generally understood and accepted. For those who want to learn more about why we must adapt and the consequences if we do not, I highly recommend this book which lays out our choices in a clear and easily understood way.
The Future we choose

This article could continue with many other topics but what we have covered goes a long way to making a huge difference. If I can help anyone then just post here or DM me as many of you have already. Here is the main environment page on my website. If you are not convinced that this strategy works then take a look at my press page or reviews. Good luck with your environmental journey.

Hey BobG BobG, your past postings on this topic have been incredibly helpful, so when I came upon this new article I was pretty excited to see a summary of 10 different actions toward environmental sustainability. You may already know this, but if not, the article mentions just two actions and then it looks like there was a cut and paste omission - the plastic waste section restates the information about LED bulbs, and then ends with that. I'm eager to see the rest!

About the author

Back