Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Creative Counter-intuitive Messaging

UPDATED: March 14, 2024

This past week Miami came out with the following commercial to dissuade partiers from choosing it for their Spring Break shenanigans. It was a brilliant example of the "Why our destination is NOT for you" messaging we've explored before...

"7 Reasons Casco Viejo is NOT For You" (original blog post from 2010 attached) was the single most impactful piece of content I ever created as a vacation rental marketer. In a way that affirmative marketing can not, this article clearly established who we were (as a vacation rental company in an emerging neighborhood in Central America) by identifying who we were NOT. The amount of guests who reached out and said how much the piece resonated with them was extraordinary. Both good ("yes! yes! yes! we hate those things too!) but also in a way that turned people away for the best reasons ("sorry, not for us, we're heading to the Hilton downtown.")

Consequently, one of the first thought-exercises I do when sitting down with a new client or community member is ask "what is your vacation rental business NOT?"

Some response examples:
  • We are NOT a normal property management company / big box manager
  • We are NOT doing this just for the money
  • We are NOT an "Airbnb"
  • We are NOT for partiers
  • We are NOT headquartered elsewhere
  • We are NOT for rigid hotel guests who need room service & valet
  • We are NOT cookie cutter
  • We are NOT your everyday hosts
  • We are NOT for the faint of heart (semi-treacherous path to getting there)
CHALLENGE
For your vacation rental company, complete the phrase "We are NOT _____"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.38.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.38.00 AM.png
    461.8 KB
Last edited:
I love this.

I have been thinking of writing some blog content about why you should book direct with us, and not on VRBO air Airbnb, and this post gave me a new idea on how to approach this:

Reasons why you should book on Airbnb or VRBO

1. I like to pay more for my vacation.
2. The travelers fees of $500 to $1,000 are worth it for the convenience of using their platform, even though I know you have online booking.
3. I don’t want any help planning any other aspect of my trip.
4. I prefer to not know who is taking care of me and my family during my stay.
5. I have no questions about the house set up or amenities.
6. I have no special requests or special occasions to celebrate.
7. Local knowledge gets in the way of discovering a new destination.
8. I am sure I am booking the right house for my group.
9. I love doing all the work to plan a vacation.
10. I am not a detail person. We will just figure this out even if we are coming from 6 different locations, and nobody has been there before, and half the group has never skied before.

LOL

Don't book with us if you like:

• Dealing with huge companies that put policies ahead of customers and common sense.
• Paying exorbitant 'service fees' that only line the pockets of internet billionaires.
• Being just another number, rather than a cherished guest who receives personal attention.
• Well landscaped, well maintained, well cleaned accommodations.
• Being jammed together with your inlaws, parents, kids, and cousins in a single hotel room.
• Waiting days to get a response to even the simplest of questions.
• Not knowing which vacation home or room you'll end up in when you arrive.
• Wasting time retrieving keys and information vital to your stay while your family waits an hour in the car.
• Staying far away from the attractions and wasting hours in traffic each day of your holiday.
• Cleaning staff going through your things in your absence.
• Eating on the bed because there's no place to sit down.
• Sleeping on the floor because there's no place to lie down.
• Worrying if you're being taken advantage of or (worse) scammed.
• Not knowing if your accommodations will actually be available for you when you arrive.
• Risking your vacation on inexperienced owners/management who've never had to take care of a guest in need.
• Staying in shady, dangerous or sketchy locations.
• Being nickled & dimed at every turn; for things like laundry, phone service, parking, amenities and resort fees.
• Fighting for the TV remote.
• Lining up to use the bathroom.
• Sharing dishware and cutlery six times over amongst four people.
• Being on display to the public in your skimpy bathing suit. (Well, okay... many folks DO like this!)
• Missing your favorite (cooking, business, drama, comedy, sports) shows because there's only one TV.
• Washing clothes in a bathroom sink. And drying them over a curtain rod.
• Long rides in elevators. And long walks between buildings and down hallways.
• Packing dirty laundry in a suitcase to take home. (And opening that suitcase when you do get home! Come on... you know THAT smell!)

I could go on and on... and I usually do! Thank you! I've got a million of 'em... I'm here 'til Thursday!

Whenever I stay in a hotel I always have reservations. But I stay there anyway!

Last edited:
Nars, what is your company NOT?

Don't use RueBaRue if you:
- value money over time
- enjoy answering repetitive guest calls
- prefer to leave gaps between bookings
- don't care what your guests do at your destination
- prefer phone calls over texting when communicating with guests and leads
- don't care about building your online reputation

• We are NOT like everyone else
  • We are NOT a real estate agent dinosaur (circa 1995)
  • We will NOT rip you off with hidden fees
  • We will NOT ignore your communications
  • We will NOT treat you like an angry parent scolding a child
  • We will NOT tolerate disturbance of neighbours
  • We are NOT going to make you turn up at an office to collect keys
  • We are NOT going to turn away your pets
  • We are NOT going to waste money on welcome trinkets
  • We will NOT force you to print bits of paper
  • We will NOT make you log into Netflix
  • We will NOT let you stay somewhere we wouldn't stay ourselves
  • We are NOT going to disappoint you...

You might not want us to manage your home if:
You like discounting your home 50-75% to get it rented
You don't care who stays in your home
You think a 90/10 commission split will really get your more money in the end
You want to wait three days to hear back from the management company
You don't care to have all of our cell phone numbers so you can talk to us personally
You don't mind getting your owner statement and deposit three months after month's end
You like waiting on hold for two hours after calling the central office in Austin, Denver, or Portland.
You add futons, couches and bunk beds in order to sleep 12 in your two bedroom cabin
You think cleaners are easy to find and should get paid as little as possible
You like to listen to your ring camera video for fun six times a day, every day
You don't trust people to manage your home and be true to their word
You like seeing a lot of added fees to each of your guest's bookings that you will never receive
You like getting called at 2:00 am to see if that's a mouse in the wall or just the tree scraping against the house
You have a spare 20 hours a week to handle guest calls, concerns and complaints
You live near by and like to handle of of you own maintenance improvements and repairs
You live far away and like driving 6 hours to handle general maintenance, lawn care and replacing lost and broken items

The ones with an asteric* are produce of +15 years of true experience.
10 Reasons our RURAL ITALY CASALE is NOT for those who:
  • You want to stay 1/2 nights, we are not a hotel*
  • You expect locals to speak English*
  • You think only air conditioners make for cool indoor spaces*
  • You believe one can 'turn up the heat' in the outdoor pool*
  • You think the lights & water automatically turn off on their own*
  • You think the volume of your music should be in proportion to the open space you experience*
  • You arrive with your car stocked with a week of your own local "fresh" food (packed in plastic)*
  • You believe in throwing all your waste in one bin (here we're obliged to separate)*
  • You expect to drive your Ferrari and wear high heels on our roads*
  • You book a truffle hunt, arrive in Coco Channel shorts and sandals because you thought they found 'on the sidewalk' instead of reading our info.*

This was posted in March-
5 Reasons Not to Stay in Sea Ranch and Abalone Bay Vacation Rental
And on Instagram too.

From the blog:

1. The Endless Summer Was NOT Based on The Sea Ranch Beaches
  • Beaches at Sea Ranch Mean Sturdy Shoes and Sweaters
  • Beaches Are Lonely

2. You Must Endure the Long and Winding Road To Arrive
  • Consider Other Vacation Options
  • An Alternative Vacation Option to Sea Ranch
    • book a holiday in North Dakota. It claims Highway 46 is the longest straight road

3. Reasons Not to Stay in Sea Ranch Is Its Architecture

4. Respect for Nature and Neighbors Is Expected
  • Spring Break Partying Brings Disappointment
  • All Must Follow the Regulations

5. Reasons not to Stay at Sea Ranch – Your Large Group Won’t Fit
But Everyone Wants the Wrong Vacation Location
Or Just Go Somewhere Else
Never Mind Those Reasons not to Stay at Sea Ranch
Go Anyway!

Conclusion
A wonderful Sea Ranch Vacation at Abalone Bay means you’ll enjoy:

Peace and solitude as you enjoy nature at your doorstep
Beaches all to yourself to marvel as the whales swim past and seals sunbathe on the rocks
Historical homes in a region that is renown for its focus on assuring the homes are harmonious with the landscape
A place where everyone has the opportunity to be enveloped by the sounds and sights of our incredible Sonoma Coastal Community.
A unique cozy location that allows you, your friends, and your family members an opportunity to reconnect.
Our takeaway: You’ll really love it at the Sea Ranch and you won’t want to leave! After all, the last thing you want to do is select the wrong vacation location for your next holiday!

I love this.

I have been thinking of writing some blog content about why you should book direct with us, and not on VRBO air Airbnb, and this post gave me a new idea on how to approach this:

Reasons why you should book on Airbnb or VRBO

1. I like to pay more for my vacation.
2. The travelers fees of $500 to $1,000 are worth it for the convenience of using their platform, even though I know you have online booking.
3. I don’t want any help planning any other aspect of my trip.
4. I prefer to not know who is taking care of me and my family during my stay.
5. I have no questions about the house set up or amenities.
6. I have no special requests or special occasions to celebrate.
7. Local knowledge gets in the way of discovering a new destination.
8. I am sure I am booking the right house for my group.
9. I love doing all the work to plan a vacation.
10. I am not a detail person. We will just figure this out even if we are coming from 6 different locations, and nobody has been there before, and half the group has never skied before.

LOL
This is priceless, Lol

Well, now that I've read everyone else's I'm not fond of mine at all. But I feel like I should contribute, so, here goes:

We truly enjoy our hospitality business.
Nothing delights us more than when a guest messages us, gushing over the home she has booked.
But our homes are not for everyone.
So, here goes: why you might not want to book a home with Curated Stays.

Eight Reasons Not to Choose a Curated Stays Home

1. You want a downtown experience. Our homes are in local neighborhoods. You’ll see kids on bikes and neighbors walking their dogs. Alternate Option: 6th Street in Austin
2. You are accustomed to room service. Our vacation homes provide washers, dryers, and kitchens. But they don’t provide someone to accomplish the tasks that take place in those rooms. Alternate Option: Full-service hotel
3. You don’t have a car. Abilene is a driving city, designed for vehicles. There are a few buses but routes are limited and most of our homes don’t have easy access to bus routes. Alternate Option: Uber
4. You need a large space for a get-together. Our homes are designed, decorated, and furnished for small groups. The ideal group size is between 4-8 persons. Some of our homes can accommodate a few more. If you want to have people over after your event (wedding, funeral, etc.) Curated Stays will not be your cup of tea. Alternate Option: book a room at a local restaurant or event center
5. You want a garage for your car. None of our homes have garage access because we use those areas to store the items necessary to operate our business. Due to our mild climate, it’s usual to park outside. Alternate Option: a different home that has garage access
6. You don’t like boundaries. Drawing upon years of experience and hosting thousands of guests, we have boundaries, e.g., no animals, no parties/get-togethers/friends over, to ensure you have a good time and we are comfortable with you in our home. We want our guests to take good care of our homes for our future guests and our boundaries are part of how we accomplish that. If you want to rent a home without boundaries, Curated Stays is not for you.
Alternate Option: somewhere else
7. You want to bring Fido. That's a hard no. Due to many, previous, less-than-stellar experiences with critters, we have learned our properties are not accommodating to pets. Alternate option: search for a pet-friendly rental
8. You want a super-low price. As momma says, “You get what you pay for.” If you are seeking a low, low price for a nice vacation home, Curated Stays is not for you. Our standard for everything we have in each home is, “Would we have this in our personal home?” If the answer is negative, then it doesn't go in one of our other properties. Our standards are high and our prices reflect that. Alternate option: Search for homes using the price parameter tool

Unmet expectations can put a serious damper on trips. We want to be very clear about what we are not so you can find the right place for your group.
All this to say, if you are used to a hotel and unfamiliar with vacation homes, you should try to find a local hotel that meets your needs.
We are in this business for the long haul and our homes and hosting philosophy reflect that. We want you to love your stay with us and hope that this list does not put you off but helps you determine if you’re a good fit for one (or more) of our properties.

Last edited:
You know... Matt started my thought process to write what I did above, and it was a fun exercise, but in truth, I really didn't follow the spirit of what he wrote about in his initial post on this thread.

If you read his attachment, and the specific reasons why his offering may not be for everyone, unlike what I wrote, Matt's piece takes a very honest and critical look at his rental accommodations at the time. While the points in my article could be applied to many, if not most (and in some cases all) vacation rentals, that was not the idea of Matt's original piece.

No... Matt took a good honest look at his offering, and recognized some hard truths about why some potential guests may not like it. Of course, those same features may actually be attractive to certain guests who are looking for a 'rougher' experience in a less polished non-tourism area, but Matt's points really did specifically capture the possible negatives of a stay in his properties. I suspect that some may have even had their origin in complaints he received from actual guests.

As things tend to do, these thoughts have been percolating in my mind since I wrote my part above, and I've come back to this thread as others have joined in (thank you all), and I simply was not satisfied with myself for having missed the core essence of Matt's original thought starter, which upon reflection, I see as this:

What could some guests genuinely complain about in regard to my properties, either generally speaking or in comparison to my competition, and they would be right?

This is a different question than what I answered above. And it's a bit of a bitter pill to swallow. Of course I know what my weaknesses are, but this is still a valuable thought process. Just this past week I received a less than favourable guest exit survey. Amongst other things, he said that our neighbourhood and surrounding area were extremely disappointing to him. When I asked him why, he said that it simply wasn't as nice as he is used to. Obviously I can't do anything about this, but perhaps it means I'm failing to manage expectations as well as I could be.

With this realigned perspective, I took another shot at this, and came up with something quite different from what's above. In some cases, I'm not so sure I would be willing to share all of these with potential guests. It simply may not be smart to be that honest. But I will share it here, as it may help some others to hone in on what Matt is really focusing on; taking your possible weaknesses, bringing them out into the light for guests to easily see, and presenting them in a manner such that the guest's expectations of your offering will be accurate... even if that means they may be negative.

So below, I am sharing my thoughts at this stage with you. Feel free to comment, or share any thoughts they bring out with regard to your own situation.

It is not the end of the journey however. I am going to take these points, and develop them further into something suitable for guests. I don't think I'll use them as a sales tool, as Matt did, but I may use them to help manage guests expectations before they arrive to stay with us. Sometimes when you're a really great communicator/marketer it becomes all too easy to convince a guest that what you have for them is better than it really is; not because you misrepresent it, but because you do such a good job of getting the guest emotionally attached to you, your properties and the idea of staying in them, that they make up their own set of ideas about them based on their own standards and expectations. And that sets them up for disappointment.

So here goes...

Our villas will not be for you if:

• You’re looking for absolute top-end luxury. In truth, there are far nicer (and much more expensive) vacation homes to stay in nearby. Our homes are targeted at those who want a better than average experience at a price that keeps them a good value.

• You want to stay in a nice, clean cookie-cutter ‘Stepford Wives’ kind of neighbourhood. Our neighbourhood is a conservation (half the area is left in its natural state) subdivision run by an HOA that appreciates diversity. The houses are not all the same boring cooking-cutter selection of five plans painted in one of only three colours with grass and one allowed palm tree out front. There are no cute playgrounds, no club-houses, community pools or weight rooms, no sidewalks on every street, and every square inch is not paved or landscaped over. It has a unique natural beauty some may not appreciate.

• You demand a completely urban environment where you are highly unlikely to run into wild animals and birds. There is always a chance of this in a conservation area like Thousand Oaks, including extremely rare encounters with alligators (never seen one ourselves) and dangerous snakes. You may wake up to find sandhill cranes on the front lawn, or see an armadillo or snapping turtle on the street, or bald eagle in flight. You may have to wait in your car for a few minutes while a mother bird leads her brood across the street. Around here we call that a traffic jam.

• You need neighborhood security gates and ill-equipped and badly trained ‘guards’ (slowing you down, invading your privacy, and recording your coming and going for no good reason at all) just to make you feel safe. We don't have those things, but our neighborhood is actually safer than those that do, because we have lots of residents who live here and care about the area and each other. It's a bit off the beaten path and outside the tourist area, and safer as a result.

• You demand a house that is meticulously and perfectly cleaned, with only the latest and greatest decor. The vast majority of guests tell us our homes are very clean and well maintained… but are they perfect? No. I’ll be the first to admit it. Sure, sometimes… our homes could be a tiny, little bit cleaner, at an extra cost of $525 per booking, but the vast majority of our guests want us to provide better value than that. (If you want the perfectly cleaned home at your arrival, instead of the nearly perfect home we provide, just let me know at least two months ahead of time, pay the $525 extra fee, and I’ll ensure you get the perfectly cleaned home!) As for the decor, please check our photos and decide before you book if you like it or not. It's quality-casual with a hint of whimsy.

• You refuse to read any pre-arrival information, or explanations about the TV or alarm systems, or anything else. Some guests just hate to read, and they don’t… which is perfectly fine, as long as they don’t stay with us. We assume and expect you to read and understand the helpful information we provide about your stay, so you’ll get the most out of your time with us, and enjoy it as much as possible. Expecting everything to work in our home exactly the way it may work in yours is just silly. So be ready to adapt and learn, and have a great time.

• You’re looking for a place to host a get together, or to invite your friends over for a loud pool party. Our neighbours don’t appreciate it, and we have to live with them long after you’ll be gone. This is one situation where their needs come first.

• You don’t like traffic delays. A major construction project is underway on I-4, the major interstate highway that crosses Florida and goes right through Walt Disney World and Orlando. While the section through Orlando just finished a five year upgrade process which alleviated delays and traffic jams, now the section that runs through Disney World and near Thousand Oaks is being done, causing congestion and delays, and affecting all other roads in the area as frustrated drivers spill over on to them. We can’t do anything about it except provide you with all of the best tips and hints for getting around it. But patience and understanding is absolutely needed at this time.

• You expect to be out in the country, with no one around you for at least a few miles. That is not what or where our properties are. They’re in a subdivision of 240 homes. All the services you need are five minutes drive away. Our homes are private, but not that private.

• You want to go walking and exploring interesting shops and restaurants, or relying on local transportation to do the same. At our properties (like all legal vacation rentals properties in the Orlando area) a car is required to get around and obtain even the most basic services.

• Your goal is to pay a low price. We charge rates higher than the majority of our competition. We do a lot of things better for our guests, like providing additional supplies, and have backups and monitoring systems in place to ensure that house systems are functioning. We pay our people more than the going rate to ensure we get the best. There are many reasons for the rates we charge, however they primarily are what we need to provide you with what experience tells us you want. You likely have heard all of the other common reasons for our rates before… like the adage that says ‘you get what you pay for.’ We provide a great experience at a great price, in order to provide the best value. In Florida vacation rentals, it’s impossible to provide the best experience at the lowest price. Location and quality never come cheap.

• You want a huge vacation rental home to stay in. Our homes are typically smaller, without a lot of wasted space built just for show. They’re not the biggest, most grand homes out there… not by a long shot. They are cozy and they are comfortable. As my wife likes to say “Don’t think of our Vacation Rental as a small house, but rather as a gigantic amazing hotel suite.” In that sense, they’re perfect, but don’t assume they’re equal to what you have at home. Neither is a hotel room.

• You want a themed rental with all kinds of cutesy graphics and paintings on the wall from your kid’s favourite movies. We would never have that in our own home, so we don’t have it in our vacation rentals either. We try to decorate them in quality-comfortable style, so they will feel welcoming and relaxing, and allow you to re-charge your batteries before you go back and have another theme-park or busy vacation day. We want our vacation rentals to be a place of relaxation and comfort, not remind you of another theme park like the one you need to get a break from (and which just emptied your wallet).

• Your goal is try to scam us. It won’t work. We’ve seen all of them before, never fallen for one, and know all the tricks.

• You’re determined to leave us a critical review. A five-star review is our reward for all of our hard work. It informs others and defines what kind of an operation we run. We need and expect your positive reviews. Sometimes that’s not possible... not because of what we did or didn’t do, but because of a guest’s particular agenda, or wrong expectations. If you’re not willing to give us top marks when we deserve them, please choose someplace else to stay.

• You absolutely must have great cell phone service. The cellular phone service in our area is terrible. You likely won’t be able to use your phone to make and receive calls from within the villa. This is why we provide great internet and wifi, and land line telephone with free long distance anywhere in North America. But the cellular service is frustrating, for us and our guests. (Sorry.)

• You’re looking for some place to park your monster RV, trailer or other additional ground transportation. Our homes and our neighbourhood are not suitable for this, either physically, or according to HOA rules.

• You hate Florida, theme parks, crowds, driving, anything Disney, kitsch, pine trees, palm trees, water, brief heavy rains during the summer, tons of shopping opportunities; people who don't look, smell or talk like you; tourist traps, and meeting people from around the world. That's Orlando. Everyone should experience it at least once in a while!

You might not want us to manage your home if:
You like discounting your home 50-75% to get it rented
You don't care who stays in your home
You think a 90/10 commission split will really get your more money in the end
You want to wait three days to hear back from the management company
You don't care to have all of our cell phone numbers so you can talk to us personally
You don't mind getting your owner statement and deposit three months after month's end
You like waiting on hold for two hours after calling the central office in Austin, Denver, or Portland.
You add futons, couches and bunk beds in order to sleep 12 in your two bedroom cabin
You think cleaners are easy to find and should get paid as little as possible
You like to listen to your ring camera video for fun six times a day, every day
You don't trust people to manage your home and be true to their word
You like seeing a lot of added fees to each of your guest's bookings that you will never receive
You like getting called at 2:00 am to see if that's a mouse in the wall or just the tree scraping against the house
You have a spare 20 hours a week to handle guest calls, concerns and complaints
You live near by and like to handle of of you own maintenance improvements and repairs
You live far away and like driving 6 hours to handle general maintenance, lawn care and replacing lost and broken items
You add futons, couches and bunk beds in order to sleep 12 in your two bedroom cabin - I like these owners lol

Don't book with us if you like:

• Dealing with huge companies that put policies ahead of customers and common sense.
• Paying exorbitant 'service fees' that only line the pockets of internet billionaires.
• Being just another number, rather than a cherished guest who receives personal attention.
• Well landscaped, well maintained, well cleaned accommodations.
• Being jammed together with your inlaws, parents, kids, and cousins in a single hotel room.
• Waiting days to get a response to even the simplest of questions.
• Not knowing which vacation home or room you'll end up in when you arrive.
• Wasting time retrieving keys and information vital to your stay while your family waits an hour in the car.
• Staying far away from the attractions and wasting hours in traffic each day of your holiday.
• Cleaning staff going through your things in your absence.
• Eating on the bed because there's no place to sit down.
• Sleeping on the floor because there's no place to lie down.
• Worrying if you're being taken advantage of or (worse) scammed.
• Not knowing if your accommodations will actually be available for you when you arrive.
• Risking your vacation on inexperienced owners/management who've never had to take care of a guest in need.
• Staying in shady, dangerous or sketchy locations.
• Being nickled & dimed at every turn; for things like laundry, phone service, parking, amenities and resort fees.
• Fighting for the TV remote.
• Lining up to use the bathroom.
• Sharing dishware and cutlery six times over amongst four people.
• Being on display to the public in your skimpy bathing suit. (Well, okay... many folks DO like this!)
• Missing your favorite (cooking, business, drama, comedy, sports) shows because there's only one TV.
• Washing clothes in a bathroom sink. And drying them over a curtain rod.
• Long rides in elevators. And long walks between buildings and down hallways.
• Packing dirty laundry in a suitcase to take home. (And opening that suitcase when you do get home! Come on... you know THAT smell!)

I could go on and on... and I usually do! Thank you! I've got a million of 'em... I'm here 'til Thursday!

Whenever I stay in a hotel I always have reservations. But I stay there anyway!
may I steal a few of these? LOVE IT!

The ones with an asteric* are produce of +15 years of true experience.
10 Reasons our RURAL ITALY CASALE is NOT for those who:
  • You want to stay 1/2 nights, we are not a hotel*
  • You expect locals to speak English*
  • You think only air conditioners make for cool indoor spaces*
  • You believe one can 'turn up the heat' in the outdoor pool*
  • You think the lights & water automatically turn off on their own*
  • You think the volume of your music should be in proportion to the open space you experience*
  • You arrive with your car stocked with a week of your own local "fresh" food (packed in plastic)*
  • You believe in throwing all your waste in one bin (here we're obliged to separate)*
  • You expect to drive your Ferrari and wear high heels on our roads*
  • You book a truffle hunt, arrive in Coco Channel shorts and sandals because you thought they found 'on the sidewalk' instead of reading our info.*
I hope this aspect of housing can start to turn back around: building spaces that can stay cool without AC. When I was a kid we opened windows and used fans. I hope our connection to the outdoors can start to open up again!

About the author

Back