Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Draped Blankets (and more staging) For The Win!

Lately I've found myself especially drawn to hotel and vacation rental photography that uses props or staged items to evoke a warm, welcoming scene or aspirational vignette.

With our exploration of "first mover" marketing plays, I have to think staged photography is right up there at the top of the "What doesn't currently exist in your market, but will become ubiquitous once someone starts doing it?" list don't you?

Draped blankets seems the easiest of all these things -- like anyone with a decent eye could pull this off. JStevens JStevens please correct me if I'm wrong.

A number of members in this community have been staging photos successfully for years.

And I wanted to start an inspiration thread requesting any small touches that make for more alluring photography!

I've migrated over a few posts of model members to get us started ( Debra Dresbach Debra Dresbach Robin Robin DEaton DEaton DMartinez DMartinez Nancy Nancy ) ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.00.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.00.27 AM.png
    1.3 MB
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.01.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.01.39 AM.png
    1.3 MB
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.04.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.04.02 AM.png
    710.9 KB
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.08.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 10.08.41 AM.png
    1 MB
I have battled it out with a few of my team over the years about staging a photo to set the scene, vis. a more conventional real estate style of photography, which some are more used to seeing. These images are beautiful and resonate with how we stage ours. It's worth every dime and 10 times the value of another word of copy.

Some that I am really proud of include:
https://www.movingmountains.com/vacation-rentals/blackstone-lodge

Agree, great photos. Makes me think how I can uplevel our photos which we do stage every time and work with our photographer (even though the same one has shot all our places and knows our style). I can't speak enough into that. Most Real Estate Photographers won't include the things we like to include i.e. The flatscreen TV (maybe not strait on unless its a focal point for a theater room etc), the paper towels, the toaster, etc. All the little things that signal to the guest that you have their interests in mind.

Don't let someone tell you that they know Real Estate photography, so they can shoot your Vacation Rental. Vacation Rental photography is an artform unto itself.

I read SO much about photography before my Lodge was photographed and the majority of writers advised NOT to stage with items that were added just for photos.
As usual, I flew in the face of what was suggested and stripped my personal home of "stuff", packed the truck, went to the Lodge and used the stuff for staging.
I love our photos and not ONE guest has ever asked about the "missing" items!
I say Stage Away! :)

Our photographer had never done a VR until I asked him. He told me he usually came in after the stager left, calculated his light, angles and shot away. There was something about his technique that made me gasp and really want to look deeper into his photos.

I also did a serious and deep....very deep... google search to discover he was first a naturalist photographer who later turned to something that would make the rent.

When I couldn't locate a stager that matched my calendar openings and photographer's calendar, I sent him a laundry list of exact items, mood, I wanted depicted. Actually, it was probably for the better- his stager contacts worked a the sales office of real estate... A whole different animal.

We talked on the phone many times, reviewed what to do/not to do in photos for VRs. Coming from a Real Estate for sale photos to this gig was the best thing that happened for both of us.

It's funny, I've just re-read this post and re-examined the website photography, using my retail merchandising eyes. It's truly inspiring what they have accomplished in their photography to evoke an emotional reaction from the viewer.
I noticed that most of the homes that are truly stunning, have the same colour story for their staged props. Because most of their homes are a brown cabin theme, they are choosing red, yellow and sometimes navy blue for their props. They choose one to two colours for each home in every room and rarely stray from that, making vignettes with strong focal points using their staged items.
They are also bringing in a lot of greenery from the outdoors with floral arrangements in vases giving a romantic notion.
The TV screens are showing images that always follow the same colour story of the home.
The staged items are angled to allow the viewer to see them clearly, take note of bagels propped up on watermelon slices, which would never be served that way. But I didn't think twice when I viewed the rooms initially.
Balconies are always staged with not only patio furniture but items you wouldn't normally see like pumpkins, mugs with whipping cream, etc...
They also double shots, with showing amenities like the fold out couch, or opening the TV armoire and adding props. This never leaves the viewer wondering what kind of amenities they have or where it is. I wonder if they approached each room with a checklist of questions, like;

Have I shown each of the amenities?
What mood do I want to create?
What colour pops best in this home?
How can I romanticize this space?
How will my guests use this room?
What age group am I appealing to in this room?
Where is the best placement for a focal point?

AmyG AmyG do you have a checklist of how you stage each room before photographing?

I love this subject! It was one of the first things that drew me to Matt's blog!

I work with two sets of photographers, but I do the staging.
- TruPlace - they advertise to the vacation rental market heavily. The quality of the photography varies greatly by photographer and they have contacts with photographers all over the country. We use them primarily for the digital floorplans with photos embedded.
- Local real estate photographer - I've worked with him long enough that he knows what I'm looking for and that I need "real" photos that show the good and bad of the house. We do not want guests surprised by anything when they walk into the home for the first time. That's NOT normal for most photographers, so be very specific!

For staging, I generally use items guests will find in the house, but flowers and a bottle of wine are no brainers. I don't do anything holiday-ish, so if the only flowers available are Thanksgiving themed, I skip them or head outside to pick my own. That works great at some homes and not at all at others.

Coffee/tea set up, setting at least one table for dining, blankets, spa towels on hooks by the hot tub or out by the pool, books, board games and puzzles, wine glasses, and kid's items are all easy items to use. A container of sunscreen, sunglasses, and pool towel on a chaise lounge with a book or glass of water are fun too. I love a well-placed hat too!

I try to have "timeless" photos that can show the home in any season.
And I'd LOVE to see/hear what other folks do!
:)

Draped blankets seems the easiest of all these things -- like anyone with a decent eye could pull this off. @
JStevens
JStevens please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are kind of right, Matt. It seems easy enough but to have it look a bit mussed up and perfectly so is a dichotomy. It takes several tries to get it just "so." Even looking at the captured frame below I think the robe looks too tidy. Its a fine line.

1651172620260.png

The full video link is here. This video was one of our Storm Watching off season promotion videos.

Our photographer had never done a VR until I asked him. He told me he usually came in after the stager left, calculated his light, angles and shot away. There was something about his technique that made me gasp and really want to look deeper into his photos.

I also did a serious and deep....very deep... google search to discover he was first a naturalist photographer who later turned to something that would make the rent.

When I couldn't locate a stager that matched my calendar openings and photographer's calendar, I sent him a laundry list of exact items, mood, I wanted depicted. Actually, it was probably for the better- his stager contacts worked a the sales office of real estate... A whole different animal.

We talked on the phone many times, reviewed what to do/not to do in photos for VRs. Coming from a Real Estate for sale photos to this gig was the best thing that happened for both of us.

Fast forward to Sea Ranch Abalone Bay 2.0...
I have not only re-hired our photographer but will also have our interior decorator as our stagger. Both are pros. Bart moved on to becoming ABB's Lux photographer for a short stint until he could no longer abide by them insisting on THEIR edits to his work and not his. Remember the client here is not you nor the photographer but ABB! He has also won many awards. Being the ever stage-mom I once again sent my wish list. To which Gayle assured me she knew what she was doing, having worked on our house (and with me for the last 13 years) felt she was confident I could take a step (or 10) back now.

So I have (...😎feeling confident that they, nonetheless read my notes and subconsciously will apply them mixed with their know-how). Plus I'll be meeting with her personally in the near future...so we can actually walk, work, and envision.

I now have the two of them working it out between themselves...from my last email to them both:

The house will first need time to be cleaned by housekeeping- that usually is a 2-day affair (though with the added crew it can be shortened to 1 day)

How Gayle works
  • I typically do this work in the late afternoon or evening and will block off time accordingly, just need to verify when I can have time alone at the house.
  • I will need at least a couple of days prior to photography to get the site ready
  • Then the photographer does his thing
  • Would like to meet and discuss with you, Donna/owner onsite when the house is available.
  • I have done this for decades and for the best results, for set up, I need to work on my own or with Martha (assistant).
  • After completion, then a walk-through with Donna to verify and review all and make any changes.
  • Once I set up, then the photographer takes over and does his thing and the house remains set up, not used or disturbed until he is done with his work
  • The photographer would be responsible for accomplishing the specific shots such as hot tub, night shots, etc., and food shots as noted in your email.

How Bart and his team work:
  • Jeffrey -the videographer, and Bart will both arrive early afternoon and then capture exteriors in late afternoon and evening light.
  • Jeffrey was going to continue shooting early to mid-morning
  • Bart and Jeffery do the interiors after the staging is set up.
  • Bart shoots into the evening, stays the night, and then grabs any last shots leaving about midday.
So I will leave it to you, Bart, and Gayle to pick some time that works for you all. Please discuss this between the two of you...and let me know the dates that work best for you and I'll block it out on the calendar.

The photography and staging of the homes in our portfolio are my passion, especially since I do both. I have yet to find a "real estate" photographer who will photograph our properties the way I want. I love that there are others that are so passionate about this as well. First things first, remember light. With photography, it is all about light, so if you can, try to get your photos taken during the twilight hour.

Moving on to the staging part. The color theme idea already mentioned is spot on. Jewel tones will always catch a traveler's eye. Wine bottles/San Pellegrino in applicable shots are a must. Setting dining tables...also a must. Make sure that you make up and photograph sofa sleepers (if advertised as an available bed), and I have also started staging soaking tubs full of water/bubbles with a tray across staged with a wine glass, book, and reading glasses. But...I would add don't forget the artificial food! I always stage our barbecue grills with artificial steaks and asparagus. And I have an artificial charcuterie board as well. These are items that are easily used for staging to set the mood while not adding anything that a guest will expect to find in the home, since they are consumables.

What I find the most frustrating about including lifestyle shots or vignettes is that we are limited to 50 photos in the listing (if using Vrbo as a booking platform), so for a 5 or 6 bedroom home with multiple kitchens, living areas, AND amenities like a hot tub, pool, and/or gym, etc. you simply don't have enough space in the carousel for the artistic shots. I take them anyway, though, just in case a guest asks for additional photos of a specific space or item in the home. I can send those photos separately.

One thing my eagle-eyed wife spotted during one of our many design sessions: She uses a steamer to take the wrinkles out of bed covers prior to the photography. This may sound obvious to others, but it was a big tip for a PAT Photography Program disciple like myself. (You know... PAT... Pain, Agony & Torture?)

When we chose the new bed coverings for the master bedroom in one of our properties, we brought roughly ten in to test, which included photographing them on the bed in the room. Some of the ones we genuinely expected to work the best turned out to be the worst and vice versa.

It's terrible to admit this, but everything that goes into, on, or around, our properties includes an assessment of how well it will photograph. We are in the business of selling vacation rental accommodation just as much as we are in providing it.

So if you are going to do or be involved in your own staging and photography, bring the clothes steamer with you, and smooth out those bed covers. It is one of the best time/staging investments you can make in your pics, and your photos will thank you for it!

(I have a set of life-style props that appear in our photographs, but never in the villas for guests. In fact, if people are looking closely they can be found in multiple properties (not just locations within a property) all at the same time on our sites. No one has ever noticed, questioned or pointed it out. Props in VR photos in the Orlando area have been the norm for at least a decade.)

One thing my eagle-eyed wife spotted during one of our many design sessions: She uses a steamer to take the wrinkles out of bed covers prior to the photography. This may sound obvious to others, but it was a big tip for a PAT Photography Program disciple like myself. (You know... PAT... Pain, Agony & Torture?)

When we chose the new bed coverings for the master bedroom in one of our properties, we brought roughly ten in to test, which included photographing them on the bed in the room. Some of the ones we genuinely expected to work the best turned out to be the worst and vice versa.

It's terrible to admit this, but everything that goes into, on, or around, our properties includes an assessment of how well it will photograph. We are in the business of selling vacation rental accommodation just as much as we are in providing it.

So if you are going to do or be involved in your own staging and photography, bring the clothes steamer with you, and smooth out those bed covers. It is one of the best time/staging investments you can make in your pics, and your photos will thank you for it!

(I have a set of life-style props that appear in our photographs, but never in the villas for guests. In fact, if people are looking closely they can be found in multiple properties (not just locations within a property) all at the same time on our sites. No one has ever noticed, questioned or pointed it out. Props in VR photos in the Orlando area have been the norm for at least a decade.)
Absolutely! My trusty steamer goes into every property with me! :)

The photography and staging of the homes in our portfolio are my passion, especially since I do both. I have yet to find a "real estate" photographer who will photograph our properties the way I want. I love that there are others that are so passionate about this as well. First things first, remember light. With photography, it is all about light, so if you can, try to get your photos taken during the twilight hour.

Moving on to the staging part. The color theme idea already mentioned is spot on. Jewel tones will always catch a traveler's eye. Wine bottles/San Pellegrino in applicable shots are a must. Setting dining tables...also a must. Make sure that you make up and photograph sofa sleepers (if advertised as an available bed), and I have also started staging soaking tubs full of water/bubbles with a tray across staged with a wine glass, book, and reading glasses. But...I would add don't forget the artificial food! I always stage our barbecue grills with artificial steaks and asparagus. And I have an artificial charcuterie board as well. These are items that are easily used for staging to set the mood while not adding anything that a guest will expect to find in the home, since they are consumables.

What I find the most frustrating about including lifestyle shots or vignettes is that we are limited to 50 photos in the listing (if using Vrbo as a booking platform), so for a 5 or 6 bedroom home with multiple kitchens, living areas, AND amenities like a hot tub, pool, and/or gym, etc. you simply don't have enough space in the carousel for the artistic shots. I take them anyway, though, just in case a guest asks for additional photos of a specific space or item in the home. I can send those photos separately.
And that is one more reason to have your own website🤗

I have battled it out with a few of my team over the years about staging a photo to set the scene, vis. a more conventional real estate style of photography, which some are more used to seeing. These images are beautiful and resonate with how we stage ours. It's worth every dime and 10 times the value of another word of copy.

Some that I am really proud of include:
https://www.movingmountains.com/vacation-rentals/blackstone-lodge
My vacation goals include a trip someday to Moving Mountains! Robin, your photos are absolutely the best I have ever seen in the vacation rental market. Excellent job.

About the author

Back