Subscribe to the Unlocked Podcast by Matt Landau on
Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher or pretty much any other app.
Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

EP06: Slowly Growing & Automating a Boutique Vacation Rental Management Business with Jan Stevens

Jan Stevens’s journey in the vacation rental industry began when she inherited an old family fishing shack that they bought for $1,200 in the 50’s. Realizing she could leverage her talents as a professional interior designer, she turned the home into a vacation rental. As peers began to take notice of her business, they began asking her if she can manage their properties too. Jan shares her experiences growing into a boutique property manager, how she chooses properties to take on, and how she’s dramatically reduced her workload through automation and outsourcing.

Show Notes
  • How Jan’s family bought a fishing shack outside Vancouver for $1,200
  • How the financial crisis made Jan realize she can turn her home into a vacation rental
  • How a random painting turned into Jan’s first property management client
  • Jan’s transition from property owner to property manager
  • Why Jan only takes on properties that fit the business of her brand
  • How Jan streamlined her management process to dramatically reduce her workload
  • The value of outsourcing work
  • Why Jan prioritizes slow and steady growth versus rapid growth
  • Understanding the pressure and responsibilities on building a vacation rental management company

Resources

Last edited by a moderator:

About the author

“A podcast with a splash! Thoughtful, well-targeted, and useful delivery.”
— Beth, Splashy Ventures
“I listen while pulling weeds in my garden. Perfect way of spending my morning.”
— Sibylle, Villa Ausblick
“High-quality, actionable, and timely. Pure gold.”
— Matthew, Family Time Vacation Rentals
Back