Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Ever Heard of Storm Watching?

Storm Watching is a creative marketing strategy by the destination of Tofino on Vancouver Island in British Columbia...turning lemons into lemonade...taking a low season and turning it into something new and aspirational.

Stoke the fire, pull a chair up to the window, and snuggle into a down comforter to watch Mother Nature assault the land and sea outside your hotel window. Gale force winds whip the ocean into a frenzy, with 50’ white-capped waves loudly crashing against the cliffs and beaches of Long Beach. Lightning flashes to show a few brave souls enjoying a different perspective of the storm, watching from the beach while bundled in their rain gear, getting rocked by the wind and rain.

Not to be confused with Storm Chasing (I found a tourism company that offers that too) Storm Watching offers a glimpse of the raw power of the elements, from the fantastic vantage point of Vancouver Island.

"Winter here means dramatic skies, rain (sometimes falling sideways), impressive swell…and bursts of sunshine. Storm watching season is as much about the weather as it is about how frequently and quickly it can change. All you have to do is be present to witness it."

What makes Tofino such a storm watching hot spot? One factor is our exposed coast, with no landmass between here and Japan. This places Tofino in the unique position of experiencing the wind that builds up over distance, giving us those beautifully bent krummholz-shaped trees along the coast and waves that will roll in at up to 20 feet in height.

Now maybe watching gale-force winds isn't your idea of a vacation.
And maybe your destination doesn't have storms.
But what I love about this concept is that it takes the cards dealt (storm season) and turns it into something new and aspirational.

IDEA:
Share a variable (outside of your control) that limits bookings...
Turn that variable into a positive selling feature marketed with great photos?

It may not appeal to all your guests, but perhaps it appeals to one...?
Shout out to Robyn Jesson from Operto for introducing me to the idea of Storm Watching!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 10.32.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 10.32.03 AM.png
    2 MB
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 10.31.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 10.31.38 AM.png
    1.6 MB
Last edited:
Maybe I need to think about this as a high season twist to marketing hurricane season and getting bookings for empty nights when a storm is approaching?
This might be a way that I should write to people that have already booked our homes during hurricane season. I want them to buy insurance because I don’t give them a refund but damn Airbnb will and that pisses me off. If they buy insurance we all win!!

Gets me thinking about our unique "act of nature" in Bigfork, Montana. Our home is surrounded by small lakes and ponds on our property all of which are glacier fed. The water level is determined by snow melt in the higher elevations. Early in the high season, May-June, the water level is much lower and can cause areas to be land locked. With the current drought and/or low snow fall in winter, things have gotten worse preventing some of our early guests from the boating/kayaking/fishing they had hoped for. I address this in my cancelation policy. I also removed several of our full lake and boating photos so at not to mislead. Any ideas on how I might turn this around into a positive?

Attachments

• Low water line.JPG
    Low water line.JPG
    577.1 KB
  • HIgh water line.JPG
    HIgh water line.JPG
    447.5 KB
Gets me thinking about our unique "act of nature" in Bigfork, Montana. Our home is surrounded by small lakes and ponds on our property all of which are glacier fed. The water level is determined by snow melt in the higher elevations. Early in the high season, May-June, the water level is much lower and can cause areas to be land locked. With the current drought and/or low snow fall in winter, things have gotten worse preventing some of our early guests from the boating/kayaking/fishing they had hoped for. I address this in my cancelation policy. I also removed several of our full lake and boating photos so at not to mislead. Any ideas on how I might turn this around into a positive?
No water = no mosquitoes! Who wouldn't want a mosquito free vacation? Better bug-free hiking. Better everything (except kayaking, of course :)

Many years ago, Tofino's Storm Watching campaign inspired me to adopt (steal) it for Bowen Island Accommodations. It was easy to imagine as it was my favorite time to spend at my property. I loved waiting for a huge storm to blow straight at us while being warmed by the fire and snuggled into a cozy blanket.

Storm Season costs are higher, but I view it as an advertising expense. (our summer season doesn't require any advertising as there is enormous demand) Our rates are lower, and stays are shorter, allowing more budget-conscious guests to experience the beauty of our properties. Maybe they will return and even tell their friends?......... And they have done so.

We created blog posts highlighting the benefits of holing up inside while the weather rages or if it snows:
5 (actually 8) Lazy Rainy Day To Do's
Tips for enjoying Bowen When it Snows

We shot storm season videos highlighting the comforts of a property even while the weather might be gloomy, windy, or sunny.
The Eastman Waterfront Cottage
The Eastman Waterfront Retreat
Lazy Bowen Hideaway

Lazy B Waterfront Suite

The Bowen Island Accommodations website also includes a DISCOVER STORM SEASON tab to drive off season reservations.

THE PROS ~~~ It indeed increased our off-season occupancy close to 50%, which is excellent for a rainforest with grey skies. Our housekeepers have more work which makes them happy. And, BIA has a more reliable income year-round.

THE CONS ~~~ Costs are higher per stay, but the positive guest experience has created regular returning guests even during the high season.
~ Heating the homes is expensive during the off-season.
~ Firewood isn't cheap on Bowen. It's actually a wash to heat the home with firewood. Although, it's a sought-after amenity that gives the guests the ambiance of a wood fire, something they don't get in the city.
~ Hauling in the guest supply of firewood is hard on the housekeepers
~ Off-Season stays are shorter than high-season, so the turnover cost to income is higher.
~ And then, what happens if there really is a storm? A storm can cut off the power, disrupt ferry crossings, blow down trees blocking travel, or worse yet, crush a guest vehicle. The majority of our blog posts are about how a guest needs to be aware of these disruptions if they choose to travel during the storm season. AS a property owner, I double-checked my insurance to make sure we would be covered while hosting a guest during a wind storm and the fallout that could happen.
~ Educating the guest about the perils of traveling during the off-season is imperative. They need to shoulder the responsibility of their booking and purchase travel insurance for the unexpected event that might disrupt their travel...........all the while hoping for that exciting wind storm or beautiful layers of snow.

Jan Stevens

Last edited:
Oh I love this! I booked a trip to Costa Rica during rainy season last year and that will always be one of my favorite vacations...the "off-season" rates were just a benefit.

Like some above said, the first thing that came to mind was hurricane season...though in NOLA l don't think it would be as tasteful to upsell or promote.
Funny thing about that though...we were going into a really slow period last fall with Covid picking back up and then the Hurricane hit at the end of August. We ended up renting out almost all of our homes for 1-3 month stays for contractors who came into town to do disaster relief/restoration. We ended up bringing in even more revenue than we were predicting before that happened. (Dealing with insurance companies for 6 months for minimal/moderate damage to some of our houses has been way, way less fun though).

I don't have any good ideas off the top of my head but it is an interesting thought!

Many years ago, Tofino's Storm Watching campaign inspired me to adopt (steal) it for Bowen Island Accommodations. It was easy to imagine as it was my favorite time to spend at my property. I loved waiting for a huge storm to blow straight at us while being warmed by the fire and snuggled into a cozy blanket.

Storm Season costs are higher, but I view it as an advertising expense. (our summer season doesn't require any advertising as there is enormous demand) Our rates are lower, and stays are shorter, allowing more budget-conscious guests to experience the beauty of our properties. Maybe they will return and even tell their friends?......... And they have done so.

We created blog posts highlighting the benefits of holing up inside while the weather rages or if it snows:
5 (actually 8) Lazy Rainy Day To Do's
Tips for enjoying Bowen When it Snows

We shot storm season videos highlighting the comforts of a property even while the weather might be gloomy, windy, or sunny.
The Eastman Waterfront Cottage
The Eastman Waterfront Retreat
Lazy Bowen Hideaway

Lazy B Waterfront Suite

The Bowen Island Accommodations website also includes a DISCOVER STORM SEASON tab to drive off season reservations.

THE PROS ~~~ It indeed increased our off-season occupancy close to 50%, which is excellent for a rainforest with grey skies. Our housekeepers have more work which makes them happy. And, BIA has a more reliable income year-round.

THE CONS ~~~ Costs are higher per stay, but the positive guest experience has created regular returning guests even during the high season.
~ Heating the homes is expensive during the off-season.
~ Firewood isn't cheap on Bowen. It's actually a wash to heat the home with firewood. Although, it's a sought-after amenity that gives the guests the ambiance of a wood fire, something they don't get in the city.
~ Hauling in the guest supply of firewood is hard on the housekeepers
~ Off-Season stays are shorter than high-season, so the turnover cost to income is higher.
~ And then, what happens if there really is a storm? A storm can cut off the power, disrupt ferry crossings, blow down trees blocking travel, or worse yet, crush a guest vehicle. The majority of our blog posts are about how a guest needs to be aware of these disruptions if they choose to travel during the storm season. AS a property owner, I double-checked my insurance to make sure we would be covered while hosting a guest during a wind storm and the fallout that could happen.
~ Educating the guest about the perils of traveling during the off-season is imperative. They need to shoulder the responsibility of their booking and purchase travel insurance for the unexpected event that might disrupt their travel...........all the while hoping for that exciting wind storm or beautiful layers of snow.

Jan Stevens
Hi Jan,
I'm another Jan in the Pacific Northwest, just south of you in the San Juans.

Since Covid I have had guests year-round, and this year we experienced more power outages and snow than usual. I developed guidelines to message and text during events. It really helps that our power provider sends me a text when service is disrupted, so I can respond quickly.

I let guests know that the night lights turn into flashlights, that they can boil water on the grill for tea/coffee, the URL of the power outage site, and where they can drive to find a place with a generator and wifi. So far the outages were 6 hours or less, and my guests rolled with it.

Regarding the woodstove: my insurance provider does not want them in the house or any outbuildings. Quite frankly, I don't want the hassle and fire potential either. Do propane/gas versions work during outages? Heating is the main problem for me.

I have to say, this is one way in which short term guests differ from long term tenants. They generally don't have connections and enough local knowledge to deal with unusual situations. I think it's up to us to give them extra attention during storm events.

Jan

Regarding the woodstove: my insurance provider does not want them in the house or any outbuildings. Quite frankly, I don't want the hassle and fire potential either. Do propane/gas versions work during outages? Heating is the main problem for me.
Living in Henderson, Nevada and monitoring wood burning laws in British Columbia requires constant monitoring. I just learned today that Vancouver BC laws exempt Bowen Island from burning in a wood stove. My insurance allows wood stoves with proof of a WETT certificate. Houses that are heated by wood stoves will always have a special exemption In BC. But when our electric power goes out a wood stove is our only heat source. I am hoping the law doesn't completely disallow wood burning.

I don't see the danger in an enclosed wood stove. We do clean our chimneys once a year which cuts the threat of a chimney fire. The rest of the installation and surrounding surfaces are all to fire code.

I used to mange a property with a propane fireplace..........it was exceedingly expensive. Guests loved the ambiance of watching the fire and the home owner hated the propane bill.

Laws in all categories (taxes, rentals, property, inheritance) are very different between the US and Canada. I am bi-lingual when it comes to understanding the differences.......almost.

We love our winters at Sea Ranch! And given our never-ending droughts and fears of fire, we love and celebrate it when it brings rain!
Winter at Sea Ranch: Family, Friends, Romance, Mushrooms, and Whales Galore
11 Rainy Day Activities at Sea Ranch Abalone Bay Vacation Rental

I also have posts on how to make it up on our two-way skinny highway that hugs the hills on one side and falls off the edge of the world on the other.
Nice! I had a doc. that I sent to guests with "Things to Do if it Rains". Also posted on my website. Also had a post/doc on "Indoor Activities with Fido" for rainy days. Spring is rainy in Atlanta.

About the author

Back