• Vacation rentals can be life-changing. But due to a surge in popularity, the requirements of the job are more challenging than ever. VRMB Communities is a private forum that helps thoughtful owners & managers automate and delegate tasks, so you can focus on the activities that win loyalty and direct bookings. Preview Private Forum Here

Midweek Motivation HomeToGo: A Big New "Listing Site" For Your Consideration

Note: This is not a paid post (VRMB does not do paid posts) and I have zero personal or financial relationship with this company.

Over the last few months I've attended a number of conferences and one of the benefits is you get to see companies making an effort to impress themselves upon owners and managers (some more gracefully than others).

One of those companies is HomeToGo which is basically a metasearch listing site (my words, not theirs), which pulls listings other listing sites (you can also list directly on there for more control). They just went public on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (i.e. lots of access to capital) so expect to see more and more of their branding/advertising...wherever you live. That they are especially strong with European travelers became hyper relevant 5 days ago when the US announced reopening international flights.

In our Listing Site Independence framework, Stage 1 (aka Give it a Go) involves using ALL the listing sites (that generate good results on OUR terms) and I think this is a new one that relatively few members of the community know about.

You can learn about the subscription options here: https://www.hometogo.com/partner/?sourcePage=lyp&sourceSpot=fdHeader

QUESTION: Have any members had any interactions (good or bad) with HomeToGo recently (date is helpful)?

DavidJacoby

David Jacoby
Inner Circle
We (Hostfully) have had a direct integration with HomeToGo for awhile now. They are cool and legit, and always have been easy to work with. I don't see why any of our clients (or any PM, for that reason) shouldn't list there. Why not? Now to manage expectations: you won't get *tons* of bookings. But there is a good chance you'll get more than zero bookings :)

Indeed as Matt listed, they just went public and raised a ton of money and are looking to expand their presence a lot in the US (One way they did that was by blowing a lot of money on a party at VRMA a few weeks ago...boy, that outdoor venue was packed!)

I've personally had a couple HomeToGo reservations in my in-law unit over the years, and both were completely fine experiences.

If your PMS does not have a direct integration with HomeToGo, you can still likely list on HomeToGo through your PMS's channel manager, like Rentals United, NextPax, or BookingPal. I'm pretty sure all three of those channel managers connect to HomeToGo.

CareySue

Attaché
Inner Circle
Note: This is not a paid post (VRMB does not do paid posts) and I have zero personal or financial relationship with this company.

Over the last few months I've attended a number of conferences and one of the benefits is you get to see companies making an effort to impress themselves upon owners and managers (some more gracefully than others).

One of those companies is HomeToGo which is basically a metasearch listing site (my words, not theirs), which pulls listings other listing sites (you can also list directly on there for more control). They just went public on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (i.e. lots of access to capital) so expect to see more and more of their branding/advertising...wherever you live. That they are especially strong with European travelers became hyper relevant 5 days ago when the US announced reopening international flights.

In our Listing Site Independence framework, Stage 1 (aka Give it a Go) involves using ALL the listing sites (that generate good results on OUR terms) and I think this is a new one that relatively few members of the community know about.

You can learn about the subscription options here: https://www.hometogo.com/partner/?sourcePage=lyp&sourceSpot=fdHeader

QUESTION: Have any members had any interactions (good or bad) with HomeToGo recently (date is helpful)?
I joined about a month ago and have had zero results so far :(

RuthM

Envoy
Inner Circle
We (Hostfully) have had a direct integration with HomeToGo for awhile now. They are cool and legit, and always have been easy to work with. I don't see why any of our clients (or any PM, for that reason) shouldn't list there. Why not? Now to manage expectations: you won't get *tons* of bookings. But there is a good chance you'll get more than zero bookings :)

Indeed as Matt listed, they just went public and raised a ton of money and are looking to expand their presence a lot in the US (One way they did that was by blowing a lot of money on a party at VRMA a few weeks ago...boy, that outdoor venue was packed!)

I've personally had a couple HomeToGo reservations in my in-law unit over the years, and both were completely fine experiences.

If your PMS does not have a direct integration with HomeToGo, you can still likely list on HomeToGo through your PMS's channel manager, like Rentals United, NextPax, or BookingPal. I'm pretty sure all three of those channel managers connect to HomeToGo.
Thank you for the reminder ! I use Hostfully and will try the integration with HomeToGo and report back. As Matt Landau Matt Landau says above, why not? Savvy travelers can search your properties and book direct...but only if they can find you in the first place so a wider distribution strategy should help achieve more OTA and direct bookings.

Drew

The Vacation Rental Programmer
Inner Circle
Yellow Jersey
I've had personal experience doing API integration(s) with HomeToGo...their staff is attentive and overall their API is easy to work with.

My client had a pretty impressive number of leads come in from HTG after the integration.

I can't think of a reason NOT to try them out!

RayV

Attaché
Inner Circle
I spoke with them at VRMA as well and got a good vibe. Always looking for additional exposure for our listings. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy

Ambassador
Inner Circle
Yellow Jersey
Author
Florida Rental By Owners (FLARBO) has also partnered with Home-To-Go for sometime now. It's not really considered a listing site. It's an "aggregator" which pulls the data from multiple listing sites and advertises them in a price comparison format. Think "Kayak" for vacation rentals.

FLARBO has been super successful in giving our hosts a book direct advantage in that we advertise the best price the host offers without all of the traveler fees and markups from VRBO, Airbnb, Booking, etc... that usually has a much higher price than a niche book direct site or PMS that integrates with them. So the traveler opts for the property that is listed with FLARBO on an aggregator like that as opposed to VRBO's listing on HTG (for example).

If you are a host that doesn't have access to a PMS that partners with HTG then my recommendation is to explore a niche listing site that can bridge the gap to showcase your rentals on HTG without having to sign up and list on your own.

Insider Tip: The key is to ensure your rates are up to date as far as your booking window extends to gain the price comparison edge.

Mosts hosts I've spoken with have no idea how important it is to have properties on listing platforms updated (rates), otherwise you will certainly miss out on opportunities on aggregators like HTG

ConradO

Envoy
Inner Circle
Purely from the SEO/organic traffic angle, some data/thoughts.

According to Ahrefs, they're likely getting around 500k organic search visitors per month.

1634855012061.png

However, this is actually a bit of a decline from their organic traffic peak in July of 2020 when they were likely getting around 1m visitors per month from organic search.

That's a small concern: they've fallen a bit out of favor with Google compared to 15 months ago.

On the flip side, they do rank well for many popular leisure markets:

1634855114952.png

In markets like Myrtle Beach, Miami, Blue Ridge, Lake Tahoe and Ocean City, they are ranking well and earning thousands of guest searches/visitors on a monthly basis.

They did do a site redesign a few months back, clearly they were trying to update the brand/look/feel, but I do think that appeared to cause some issues w/ traffic.

So keep that in mind.

That being said, its clear to me these sort of traffic peaks and valleys have happened with every listing site/aggregator out there - so this isn't a cause for alarm. They're still getting hundreds of thousands of visitors, and trying to build brand awareness too. So far, more work to do, but these things take time.

1634855352635.png

According to SimilarWeb, most of their traffic is via search:

1634855397272.png

So the site is mostly going to succeed based on their organic/paid search traffic strategy. A lot more capital with their IPO can go a long way in getting more paid search visitors and maybe hire some help for SEO 😜.

ConradO

Envoy
Inner Circle
Would you say this (skill set) is basically the big battleground for opportunity across the board?

Hmm that's a good question. There's of course more one way to get traffic, but my data tells me that the most successful listing sites are the one that get organic traffic because of the low cost (once you've reached scale) of each additional visitor (aka: possible guest).

A model that only relies on paid search is almost always going to fail over the long term as some keyword sets just get unprofitable to bid on/buy traffic for (see: tripping.com) at the scale these sites operate in.

Instead the value will always be in scaling SEO/organic and this in my opinion is why Vrbo has leaned so heavily into their SEO efforts now since the Homeaway brand has been retired. They simply never found great large scale organic SEO success with Homeaway (not just my opinion, they said that themselves here).

Now, Airbnb is a different beast in a way because they've invented a pool of organic search that is literally guests looking for their brand only (see: why airbnb paris gets many more searches compared to vacation rentals or short term rentals paris).

But if you dig in, you'll find Airbnb actually doesn't rank that well in lots of leisure markets in Google for non-branded terms. Think: vacation rentals in XX.

So, if Hometogo can win with SEO and get the scale of "free" traffic, they absolutely can dig in and find solid footing in the market for both guests and owners in my opinion. Without that, it'll be like playing the game on "hard mode" --> of course Hometogo can still win, but a much slimmer margin for error.

Craig

Envoy
Inner Circle
Accelerator
Purely from the SEO/organic traffic angle, some data/thoughts.

According to Ahrefs, they're likely getting around 500k organic search visitors per month.

View attachment 4326

However, this is actually a bit of a decline from their organic traffic peak in July of 2020 when they were likely getting around 1m visitors per month from organic search.

That's a small concern: they've fallen a bit out of favor with Google compared to 15 months ago.

On the flip side, they do rank well for many popular leisure markets:

View attachment 4327

In markets like Myrtle Beach, Miami, Blue Ridge, Lake Tahoe and Ocean City, they are ranking well and earning thousands of guest searches/visitors on a monthly basis.

They did do a site redesign a few months back, clearly they were trying to update the brand/look/feel, but I do think that appeared to cause some issues w/ traffic.

So keep that in mind.

That being said, its clear to me these sort of traffic peaks and valleys have happened with every listing site/aggregator out there - so this isn't a cause for alarm. They're still getting hundreds of thousands of visitors, and trying to build brand awareness too. So far, more work to do, but these things take time.

View attachment 4328

According to SimilarWeb, most of their traffic is via search:

View attachment 4329

So the site is mostly going to succeed based on their organic/paid search traffic strategy. A lot more capital with their IPO can go a long way in getting more paid search visitors and maybe hire some help for SEO 😜.
I really like this data - how do you get it?