• Vacation rentals can be life-changing. But due to a surge in popularity, the requirements of the job are more challenging than ever. VRMB Communities is a private forum that helps thoughtful owners & managers automate and delegate tasks, so you can focus on the activities that win loyalty and direct bookings. Preview Private Forum Here
Kitchen Guide

Kitchen Guide 1.0

Matt Landau

Ambassador
Staff member
Matt Landau submitted a new resource:

Kitchen Guide - Andy curated this guide to stocking a vacation rental kitchen from Guest feedback over the years

I was asked to share my Kitchen Guide for VR Property Owners in another group on FB so thought I would share for our community also here.

I curated this guide to stocking a vacation rental kitchen from Guest feedback over the years. We're located in the mid-Atlantic at the Delaware Beaches so perhaps some of these items are specific to our market, but what do I know? The popularity of crockpots, salad spinners, and Champagne flutes caught me by surprise! Who knew? I draw a line at a...

Read more about this resource...

Tala

Attaché
Inner Circle
This is awesome! I tried to access the Amazon list but got an error message that the link had expired. Would it be possible to repost?

Karla

Karla, Owner of Tropical Blessings
Inner Circle
@AndyM - Your kitchen guide is terrific. I have pretty much covered the bases with everything you listed but will pick up on a few items I missed and I do thinks it’s time for me to upgrade the coffee maker. In the meantime I’ll add a few items.

Based on the nickname I gave to a guest (and he loves it) you know that Chef Dave is an avid cook and like many he delights in my very well stocked kitchen. After his first visit he very politely told me that some of my knives were dull. That was a point well taken, the possibility of dull knives had simply not occurred to me. Chef Dave kindly took things one step further and sent me a surprise package with a knife sharpener in it and it was not intended to convey an unspoken message of criticism, it was simply a gesture of thoughtfulness, circling around back to me.

It’s heartwarming when thoughtfulness is a two way street. Perhaps your set of knives came with a knife sharpener, mine did not but I also have additional knives galore. That knife sharpener was obviously a very inexpensive item but there’s no doubt that it will get used.

I recently added an air fryer to the kitchen and every single person I have spoken to who owns one has raved about it with a surprising degree of enthusiasm. I was stunned by the number of rave reviews the air fryer got on Amazon too so I promptly ordered one. If my recollection is correct the cost was $129.

I added a steamer basket to my kitchen collection. I use one often enough myself that I actually added two.

Preparing a shrimp/veggies stir fry in a large skillet for myself and one or two friends works just fine but for additional people I decided that a wok would be easier to work with so I added that too.

The cost of groceries on St. John is outrageously pricey so I put myself in the guest’s shoes. If I were staying for a week I would not be inclined to spend a lot on condiments. Salt and pepper is hardly enough so I upped the ante with basics like oregano and basil, etc. I took steps beyond that and added some gourmet spice blends too. Guests appreciate that very much and I have received numerous compliments about it. It’s a very nice surprise for people to discover.

You are 100% right about skipping the nonstick pans, stainless steel is definitely the way to go. I learn such things through experience. What sometimes seems to be practical good choice at first sometimes instead proves to be impractical after all.

I started out with the same sorts of plastic utensils you displayed but later upgraded many of them to stainless steel ones manufactured by OXO. The quality is worth the price difference.

The kitchen gets improved one step at a time as does everything else: One step at a time. Thank you for such useful kitchen input, it offers a great opportunity to review and assess inventory.

AndyM

Counselor
Inner Circle
@AndyM - Your kitchen guide is terrific. I have pretty much covered the bases with everything you listed but will pick up on a few items I missed and I do thinks it’s time for me to upgrade the coffee maker. In the meantime I’ll add a few items.

Based on the nickname I gave to a guest (and he loves it) you know that Chef Dave is an avid cook and like many he delights in my very well stocked kitchen. After his first visit he very politely told me that some of my knives were dull. That was a point well taken, the possibility of dull knives had simply not occurred to me. Chef Dave kindly took things one step further and sent me a surprise package with a knife sharpener in it and it was not intended to convey an unspoken message of criticism, it was simply a gesture of thoughtfulness, circling around back to me.

It’s heartwarming when thoughtfulness is a two way street. Perhaps your set of knives came with a knife sharpener, mine did not but I also have additional knives galore. That knife sharpener was obviously a very inexpensive item but there’s no doubt that it will get used.

I recently added an air fryer to the kitchen and every single person I have spoken to who owns one has raved about it with a surprising degree of enthusiasm. I was stunned by the number of rave reviews the air fryer got on Amazon too so I promptly ordered one. If my recollection is correct the cost was $129.

I added a steamer basket to my kitchen collection. I use one often enough myself that I actually added two.

Preparing a shrimp/veggies stir fry in a large skillet for myself and one or two friends works just fine but for additional people I decided that a wok would be easier to work with so I added that too.

The cost of groceries on St. John is outrageously pricey so I put myself in the guest’s shoes. If I were staying for a week I would not be inclined to spend a lot on condiments. Salt and pepper is hardly enough so I upped the ante with basics like oregano and basil, etc. I took steps beyond that and added some gourmet spice blends too. Guests appreciate that very much and I have received numerous compliments about it. It’s a very nice surprise for people to discover.

You are 100% right about skipping the nonstick pans, stainless steel is definitely the way to go. I learn such things through experience. What sometimes seems to be practical good choice at first sometimes instead proves to be impractical after all.

I started out with the same sorts of plastic utensils you displayed but later upgraded many of them to stainless steel ones manufactured by OXO. The quality is worth the price difference.

The kitchen gets improved one step at a time as does everything else: One step at a time. Thank you for such useful kitchen input, it offers a great opportunity to review and assess inventory.
Hi Karla, thrilled to hear you got so much out of this guide. I try to cover the most frequently mentioned items that crop up in Guest reviews and feedback. Also what I look for when I stay in a vacation rental. We do a lot of cooking when we travel and I see our Guests here in Delaware also cook a lot when staying. I'm guessing there will be some variation in some items due to regional cuisines. A knife sharpener is a great addition. We also have our maintenance crews stop over during the winter and sharpen knives. It helps give them something to do when we're slower! Andy.