Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Monday Morning Motivation [The Drink Gesture]

IDEA: I've flown Southwest Airlines a few times the last months and noticed that due to Covid they are not serving alcohol, which is boohooo because there is no social lubricant I like more to strike up a conversation with a complete stranger than bourbon.

But pre-covid I learned about a secret unwritten rule among most of the flight attendants that I refer to ask their free drink policy.

Note: this is NOT related to the free drink coupons that Southwest is famous for giving its loyal customers. Those are great, of course.

While you will never see the free drink policy explicitly written or said out loud, Southwest flight attendants are allowed to wield free alcoholic drinks to apologize for flight delays or in a lot of cases, for no reason at all simply to earn loyalty. But only after you order the alcoholic drink (demonstrating you really want it and are willing to pay for it) does this gesture (sometimes, if you're lucky) emerge. Alcoholic drinks on airplanes normally cost $6 or $7 so the savings are real. But the feeling of being gifted a free drink (in an era of airline cost cutting) is what really endears us. And by us, I mean me.

For a company as big as Southwest, is this proof that small engineered surprises can give any company (even the most commodity ones like flying commercial) a touch of The Limited Edition?

ACTION: Establish your own altruistic yet unwritten version of the Southwest drink gesture: a go-to move that doesn’t too cost much but will delight guests without fail.
  1. Identify an item of recognizable value and place a price on it (Great examples are tangible products that have high mark-up value: coffee, glass bottles of water..etc. Less great (but still really good) examples are services or things visitors don’t know the monetary value of: baked goods from the local bakery, a neighborhood walking tour, airport transfers…etc. Bad examples are fancy things that cost a lot that no one knows the value of.
  2. Promote the sale of item (do not promote the freebie): The drink gesture works because Southwest has a menu that normally sells $7 alcoholic beverages, which provides an important distinction of value. Receiving the free drink after realizing it costs $7 makes the difference (and for Southwest, keeping it secret ensures that the only people who benefit are ones who were willing buy a drink). Demonstrating value before giving the item away for free is key. As is proof that the guest actually values said item. (Note: If you already give away a bottle of wine or local olive oil for free to guests upon arrival, maybe place a little card nearby indicating the normal price if they’d like to purchase more? "This first bottle's on us!"
  3. When your guest goes to purchase the item, give yourselves the permission to give it away for free on the spot (Bonus Points: Come up with an excuse that makes the guest feel special -- the experience feel serendipitous. Examples: "Since it’s your first stay” or “Since you guys had such trouble getting here” or “Since my son got into college today and we’re feeling festive”)
  4. Encourage the guest to pay it forward: Your altruistic gesture will always be received warmly, so extend the love by encouraging your guest to “pay it forward” in the neighborhood — which can lead to a string of all kinds of warm and fuzzies while on vacation and repeat stays for years to come.
Feel free to post your ideas/questions/applications below...

Last edited:
Great idea, Matt! I actually saw Delta do this the other day.

I do this a lot using Late Departures. Typically my late departure is 1/2 the nights rate and allows a guest to stay as late as needed vs. 10 AM on departure day. I advertise the cost and benefit, I even have messages in their booking and arrival info (which is 2 months before arrival) about the option. Many book this feature but some ask while on Island. Assuming it does not mess with incoming guests or cleaning schedules, I'll give this to the guest for free. I had a "wink" and say I something like I hope you remember when I ask for a review, etc. Seems to be helpful.

Aloha - Matt

I do this a lot using Late Departures. Typically my late departure is 1/2 the nights rate and allows a guest to stay as late as needed vs. 10 AM on departure day. I advertise the cost and benefit, I even have messages in their booking and arrival info (which is 2 months before arrival) about the option. Many book this feature but some ask while on Island. Assuming it does not mess with incoming guests or cleaning schedules, I'll give this to the guest for free. I had a "wink" and say I something like I hope you remember when I ask for a review, etc. Seems to be helpful.

Aloha - Matt
LOVE IT. So to be sure, you have the late departure fee advertised, and when someone goes to request it, you make the wink?

I have a 'locked' shed with bikes, kayak, beach toys etc. I don't advertise that it's available but I let the renter know that I left the shed unlocked specifically for them should they want to use any of the items in there. In reality it's unlocked all the time!
LOVE! I'm not suggesting this is necessary, but do you ever pretend that there is a cost associated with these toys in the process of the freebie gesture?

We allow a full day to clean between each set of guests (noon departure, 4 pm arrival the following day). Our cleaners are usually done cleaning by noon on arrival day. Because of this, I am often able to offer a good will gesture in the form of an early arrival for guests who ask (prob 20% of my guests do ask).

When guests ask for early check in, even if it is weeks ahead, I always tell them I need to wait till arrival day to let them know for sure. I explain that sometimes cleaning can take a long time, or repairs are needed, and I want to leave my cleaners plenty of time to do their job well, all of which is true.

But I think waiting til the last minute also keeps it feeling more like a gift, since they can't expect it for sure, and they're always thrilled and grateful when it does work out. (I also let them know a few things they can do in the area before check in time just in case they arrive early and I am not able to accommodate them.)

After reading this thread, I am thinking about adding an early arrival fee into my booking description so that the guests also see it as something of monetary value, not only as a last minute bonus.

I am thinking about adding an early arrival fee into my booking description so that the guests also see it as something of monetary value, not only as a last minute bonus.
YES! This is exactly what I was thinking. This gets into really interesting territory as it relates to Sallie Sallie spoiled guests post and RichardC RichardC concern that we can't do everything. Placing a price on these things (in your case, early arrival) acts almost like a respect buffer...a way to ensure the people really want something (and aren't just taking advantage of everything blindly).

This may solve one problem for me. I have a house that sleeps 18 guests and it is difficult to find nice gifts big enough for everyone to share. I could find something unique and then let them know there are more for purchase and the price but when they go to buy give a few more for free. I already do alot for free but might start leaving a postcard telling them it is just for them and how to get more and how much they cost. What other examples of gifts would you offer? I do leave fresh huckleberries (a local fav) when in season along with and ice cream recipe with the ice cream maker, fresh cherries the same thing, and my own fresh herbal tea blend from a local farm. I leave organic coffee and things like firewood for the fire pit and never say anything I guess I am not capitalizing on the hospitality.

This may solve one problem for me. I have a house that sleeps 18 guests and it is difficult to find nice gifts big enough for everyone to share.
My house sleeps 16 and so I have the same dilemma. My standard welcome gift is a jar of raspberry jam and a coupon for a free loaf of bread from a wonderful local bakery. I figure it is possible to share a loaf of bread fairly easily, and since they have to go to the bakery to get the free loaf, they also have the option to buy even more bread, which according to the bakery owners, they usually do. :)

Several guests have said that they really enjoyed this freebie which automatically also gives them an insider tip on a great local business and a connection to the community. I know my own family loves a visit to the bakery when they stay with us, and I think my guests do also.

I guess I am not capitalizing on the hospitality.
I think this is right, or perhaps "not having enough conviction in your hospitality." Or not giving your hospitality enough credit or not putting a price on the value you offer?

I know KSanchez KSanchez does free margaritas for the group upon arrival. And you pay for more if you want them?

Idea from VRMB Subscriber along the lines of MattP MattP ...

We often do that we early check ins or late check outs. In our contract, it states each of these can be had, if available, for a fee.
However if we can do it, and they inform me they'd like to pay the additional money, I tell them "it's my pleasure to give you an early check in free of charge."

I think this is right, or perhaps "not having enough conviction in your hospitality." Or not giving your hospitality enough credit or not putting a price on the value you offer?

I know KSanchez KSanchez does free margaritas for the group upon arrival. And you pay for more if you want them?
Matt Landau Matt Landau, yes free margaritas (and chips, salsa, guacamole, and dinner)!! The cost is not bad since we are in Mexico (lower food costs) and have a full-time staff to shop and prepare. The guests can also request margaritas any day of their stay. They usually plan this before arrival, and our concierge buys the ingredients and then the guests give our staff an extra tip for the service :)

Here's what we do: offer COMPLIMENTARY luggage service at check-in (there are 75 steps to our properties so this is VERY appreciated). Many guests tell us that they would like the luggage service at check out (€4 per bag) and I usually tell them "I am happy to book the service and offer it to you for free as a thank you for being our guests". It is very much appreciated.

As part of my hospitality, we always leave a bottle of prosecco chilling in the fridge and fixings for Italian breakfast (our local breakfast biscuits, jam, nutella, coffee, tea, sugar, Nesquick). I also try to leave our favorite Baci di dama cookies. Cookies are a WINNER.

Here's what we do: offer COMPLIMENTARY luggage service at check-in (there are 75 steps to our properties so this is VERY appreciated). Many guests tell us that they would like the luggage service at check out (€4 per bag) and I usually tell them "I am happy to book the service and offer it to you for free as a thank you for being our guests". It is very much appreciated..
This is really brilliant. An example of how the gesture can be curated to any LANDSCAPE :)

Aloha - Matt

This is what I call the perfect post on the perfect timing :).

I always offered free late check-outs / early check-ins (if possible), I know they are appreciated but I don't feel they are valued

Last week after reading some articles on upselling (early check-ins / late check-outs are always mention as #1) and listening to Heather Heather podcast https://www.vacationrentalformula.c...me-with-add-ons-upselling-with-tyann-marcink/ I started to think if I was leaving some "money on the table"....

Your suggestion is perfect; I just had an ahaaaaa moment!

Thank you!

This is what I call the perfect post on the perfect timing :).

I always offered free late check-outs / early check-ins (if possible), I know they are appreciated but I don't feel they are valued

Last week after reading some articles on upselling (early check-ins / late check-outs are always mention as #1) and listening to Heather Heather podcast https://www.vacationrentalformula.c...me-with-add-ons-upselling-with-tyann-marcink/ I started to think if I was leaving some "money on the table"....

Your suggestion is perfect; I just had an ahaaaaa moment!

Thank you!

Ill just chime in to say I love the creativity in figuring out how to make sure guests feel valued with free early./late checkins vs. well, they don't seem to appreciate it, might as well charge for it mentality. Thats the hospitality experience showing itself in the community vs. elsewhere that I see discussions on this spring into my feed now and then.

Personally, I would rather not allow early check ins ever vs charging for them, but I'd use extra time in the cleaned house to do more staging, setting music to just the right levels, and carefully placing things in a way that its clear someone took time to stage.....handwritten notes.,,,,record a video of yourself greeting them....whatever it is that will improve the guest impression of the house and your hospitality vs. at best a neutral, and at worst a negative interaction on charging for something that doesn't actually cost you anything (doing that at a premium property is unthinkable to me!) MAYBE I could see it as a thing where you can ask guests if they want an early checkin you ask that they donate $10 to a local community charity or something.....but thats basically the only way I'd feel ok about it (that might actually be a really awesome idea btw...but carries risk on negative guest impressions if they are kind of dbags that are mad about a company trying to support the local community $10 at a time or whatever)....Anyways, love the direction this conversation is going!

Ill just chime in to say I love the creativity in figuring out how to make sure guests feel valued with free early./late checkins vs. well, they don't seem to appreciate it, might as well charge for it mentality. Thats the hospitality experience showing itself in the community vs. elsewhere that I see discussions on this spring into my feed now and then.

Personally, I would rather not allow early check ins ever vs charging for them, but I'd use extra time in the cleaned house to do more staging, setting music to just the right levels, and carefully placing things in a way that its clear someone took time to stage.....handwritten notes.,,,,record a video of yourself greeting them....whatever it is that will improve the guest impression of the house and your hospitality vs. at best a neutral, and at worst a negative interaction on charging for something that doesn't actually cost you anything (doing that at a premium property is unthinkable to me!) MAYBE I could see it as a thing where you can ask guests if they want an early checkin you ask that they donate $10 to a local community charity or something.....but thats basically the only way I'd feel ok about it (that might actually be a really awesome idea btw...but carries risk on negative guest impressions if they are kind of dbags that are mad about a company trying to support the local community $10 at a time or whatever)....Anyways, love the direction this conversation is going!
Hi, in my case, I can't allow early check-ins / late check-outs if I have other guests arriving/departing on the same day, especially now with covid cleaning protocols.

But I can offer this If I have empty days on my calendar.

This happens frequently on the weekend bookings (beach properties) guests book 2-night Friday-Sunday check-out at 11:00 Sunday, and guests ask to stay all day (usually until 19:00 / 20:00 ) to enjoy the beach or the pool. I intend to continue to offer this, but instead of just saying they can leave the property later, I will say they can leave later, and I will wave the late check out fee for them.

About the author

Back