Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Serendipity, The Mother of Experience

The single most valuable skill a vacation rental entrepreneur can develop is curating special experiences for guests.

Done successfully the rest of the dominoes fall into place: special experience = 5-star reviews + repeat bookings / referrals / PR. Oppositely, if you don't do this (no matter how good the rest of your business is) guests won't remember, return, or refer.

"Curating special experiences" starts with a well-appointed vacation home.

But let's take it one step further...

For travelers, serendipity is the mother of special experiences.

It's is the chance experience that makes the vacation all worthwhile: the story that gets told for many years to come. Travelers don't actively search for serendipity but when it happens it lasts a lifetime. By definition, serendipity cannot be planned or premeditated. OR can it?

In this week's featured post we've compiled 4 ways to engineer serendipity into your guest experience. Not so much to fabricate or fake that special moment. Rather, create optimal conditions for it to occur:

Introduce guests to other guests
This is one of the big advantages hotels have over vacation rentals (in the experience department) — the chance to serendipitously meet other travelers staying at the same place. There's something magical about meeting a like-minded traveler while in a foreign place. So if you have multiple vacation rental properties, try hosting a happy hour once a week for guests to co-mingle. If you only have one property, reach out to other vacation rental hosts in town and coordinate something light and fun.

For more tips on how to work together, listen to Dana Lubner's podcast episode "Go Together"

Present local personalities
You know, the creative chef in town, the quirky small business owner, the transportation/guide. People whose mere introductions tend to lead to other serendipitous storylines. This is as simple as texting “You should stop by X and ask for Y. He/she is amazing and loves taking care of our guests.” A coupon or voucher or deal card works well as the connector piece here.

Encourage attending local events
This is of course handy because you’re giving guests “something to do” — it works especially well when you know someone who’s part of the event organizing. Weekly events (apple picking, yoga, beach clean-ups) are best because you can recycle. The guest now feels like they’ve followed a whim: like they’ve stumbled into a social scene. They feel like they *belong* Belong anywhere. Just kidding.

Gift an action item
One of the classic factors of Limited Edition (an arrival gift or a parting thought) takes on a new power when the gift is something thoughtful that triggers or leads into serendipity. If you already offer a gift, try adding a card that explains who/where the gift came from. This is an easy link.

DISCUSSION QUESTION(S): What are some other conditions we can set for serendipity for our guests to take place? Heck, what are some moments you have experienced serendipity on a trip and how might we replicate it?

Last edited:
We definitely introduce guests to one another, at our weekly pizza party where guests get to meet up and we all make pizza together (not this year of course) - taking it in turns to roll out the dough, top it with ingredients, cook it in the outdoor pizza bread oven and share it with fellow guests over a glass or two of wine. We have done over 250 of these parties and they are mentioned as the highlight of the week by so many guests.

After the party, usually at the beginning of the week, friendships are formed and people of then go off to do other things together during their stay. After the holiday it is not unusual for people to stay in touch and meet up back at home. We even have groups who co-ordinate their next stay with us so that they can enjoy another holiday together.

This serendipity works so well and usually gets quoted in the reviews and is often one of the reasons people return. I can vouch that it works. Of course it is a free event. We put it down to cost of sales and it is very cheap. We love it too because being with guests is the best part of our job.

Here is an old slideshow from 8 years ago that captures some of the atmosphere.

We definitely introduce guests to one another, at our weekly pizza party where guests get to meet up and we all make pizza together (not this year of course) - taking it in turns to roll out the dough, top it with ingredients, cook it in the outdoor pizza bread oven and share it with fellow guests over a glass or two of wine. We have done over 250 of these parties and they are mentioned as the highlight of the week by so many guests.

After the party, usually at the beginning of the week, friendships are formed and people of then go off to do other things together during their stay. After the holiday it is not unusual for people to stay in touch and meet up back at home. We even have groups who co-ordinate their next stay with us so that they can enjoy another holiday together.

This serendipity works so well and usually gets quoted in the reviews and is often one of the reasons people return. I can vouch that it works. Of course it is a free event. We put it down to cost of sales and it is very cheap. We love it too because being with guests is the best part of our job.

Here is an old slideshow from 8 years ago that captures some of the atmosphere.
I really hope that our family can plan a visit to Le Marche to stay with you in 2021! Even better if Matt Landau Matt Landau comes to Italy too!

I take for granted that people want to do cool things on vacation in our little village of Vernazza, Cinque Terre, Italy. I am happy to send people to our favorite restaurants and call to get them a reservation. Especially appreciated on those time when everywhere is booked but I can get a spot as a “local insider” for our guests. I’ve sent guests to harvest grapes, organized private guided tours with a fabulous American/Italian couple who live and guide locally. Two of our best experiences:
1) we saw our guests on the terrace from our terrace (we were staying at one of our two apartments) and invited them over for a drink. Kids played, parents talked, lovely evening!
2) guests wanted to do a pesto making class and asked about a local one. I had heard it was good but had never done it. Asked if they would mind if we did it too: my husband and I did the course with our guests (and 10 other travelers) and it was fantastic! Enjoyed the class, enjoyed getting to know our guests and have sent so many happy/grateful people to that class.

The first thing that comes to mind is tailoring the experience(s) to their love language.

Speaking from a guest's perspective, three vacations come to mind:
  1. Vendue Inn, Charleston
  2. Apartment, Ravello
  3. Useppa Island, SW Florida
I've never thought about why these vacations were magical before. At the Vendue Inn, it was a bicycle and rooftop bar... In Ravello, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and arugula... On Useppa Island, an eight-seater golf cart...

A bicycle leads us to crab in the town and the elevator to the rooftop bar. Fresh mozzarella... requires Pinot Grigio with the hint to use lemon instead of vinegar in the dressing, your taste buds come [even more] alive. The golf cart provided enjoyment day and night and eight seats made it feel like I was driving a limousine.

The hosts provided the perfect launchpad for serendipity to take place.

Last edited:

About the author

Back