Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

The most beautiful company map I have ever seen

This week's podcast interview features Graham Donoghue of Sykes Cottages which is the largest profitable vacation rental manager that I am aware of in the world. If you haven't listened to the episode, I would encourage you to do so here:

Graham references "the House Model" a few times and I asked him if I could share the diagram with our community. It is quite simply one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen (it makes a lot more sense if you listen to the episode):

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 18.18.49 (1).png

IDEA: By clarifying a Purpose (Your overarching goal), a Mission (what you want to achieve by when), and "Key Drivers" (what you need in order to achieve that Mission), you make decisions quicker, employees better (and happier), and stakeholders (guests, homeowners, neighbors) more congruent with your product.

ACTION: Share YOUR OWN Purpose (Your overarching goal), Mission (what your purpose looks like statistically for the next few years), and Key Drivers (what you need in order to achieve that Mission) or use the blank version attached to fill in the blanks...Just a rough copy with preliminary thoughts will do!

P.S. If you have your own company vision map please attach it so others can get inspired!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 18.18.49.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 18.18.49.png
    190.9 KB
Last edited:
This week's podcast interview features Graham Donoghue of Sykes Cottages which is the largest profitable vacation rental manager that I am aware of in the world. If you haven't listened to the episode, I would encourage you to do so here:

Graham references "the House Model" a few times and I asked him if I could share the diagram with our community. It is quite simply one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen (it makes a lot more sense if you listen to the episode):

View attachment 4646

IDEA: By clarifying a Purpose (Your overarching goal), a Mission (what you want to achieve by when), and "Key Drivers" (what you need in order to achieve that Mission), you make decisions quicker, employees better (and happier), and stakeholders (guests, homeowners, neighbors) more congruent with your product.

ACTION: Share YOUR OWN Purpose (Your overarching goal), Mission (what your purpose looks like statistically for the next few years), and Key Drivers (what you need in order to achieve that Mission) or use the blank version attached to fill in the blanks...Just a rough copy with preliminary thoughts will do!

P.S. If you have your own company vision map please attach it so others can get inspired!

This is amazing!!

Just listened to this podcast and what a wonderful example of a huge company trying to do the right thing with the triple bottom line - People, Planet and Profit.

Sykes Cottages are one of the biggest VR businesses in the world and Graham Donoghue realises that this gives them a lot of influence but also a lot of responsibility. Take a listen as he talks about giving back with 1,000 free holidays each year to families in need. Or the plans to use some of their income to become Carbon neutral and help the planet. Or the massive task of working for B Corp status - perhaps the hardest accreditation scheme in the world.

Well worth a listen and good to see so many more players in our sector tackling the really important issues.

Another great listen and very inspiring to see a company like Sykes able to operate at scale by leveraging tools like this that provide a clear road map to their many employees. Graham is fast becoming a legend in this industry - they are profitable, agile, and setting a great example for all of us to follow.

About the author

Back