In this special episode, Christina Thoreson takes us through the complicated reality of selling a business she'd built from the ground up to a big industry name. Wondering if you might sell one day or what happens in the aftermath? Or just contemplating big changes in life? This episode is for you. This is also the final episode of the Unlocked Podcast in its current form. We expect you'll hear from Matt...
In this episode, we're thrilled to have Vina Rathbone-Falvey, a market research expert, joining us. Throughout the season, we've been exploring ways to quantify the challenging questions surrounding public sentiment and community feelings towards vacation rental regulations for our scorecard. Vina guides us through the power of market research and polling in understanding and navigating these complex issues...
A robust all-in-one PMS solution doesn't really exist for smaller operators. But new tools are popping up with some innovative alternatives. This is an excerpt from VRMB's 2023 Trends Report: The Roadmap. For years I’ve referred to those who don’t view STR hospitality as a business (but rather a hobby or side gig) as “Lifestylists.” Lifestylists typically hold down separate jobs, rent for the cashflow, and use...
Hi Terri, Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying...but I'm pretty sure I'm one of these 'lifestyle' operators. I own a small portfolio of...
Every restaurant was closed at 9:00 PM. Phoenix airport shuts down early. Rather than a couple barstools and industry gossip, we settled into stiff airport seats to talk shop. I started in the vacation rental industry in 2008 as a Marketing Director on the Outer Banks. I...
WOW, this is amazingly insightful, thorough, and should be used to create an action plan for 2023 on each topic. I just found it (January 22, 2023). Well worth each VRMB member's time to read! THANK YOU.
Note: Hospitality Gestures: The "New" Marketing will be featured in VRMB's 2023 Trends Report, which drops first week of January. Early bird specials via newsletter sign-up here. Back in 2009, with the listing sites (and our category in general) starting to gain momentum, the members of this community and myself predicted that "listing site independence" (ie. marketing diversification for vacation rental pros)...
Yes, yes and yes... These are not new ideas for us at Moving Mountains, but I love the reminder to double down on this in 2023. Why? Because it absolutely works! If you want to differentiate yourself from your competitors, this is the path to...
If you do one thing thing this year, double down on your hospitality brand. Your hospitality brand is your unique style of taking care of guests (both internally with your team and outwardly with guests) and it's the single most valuable asset *fully in your control* that deserves attention, resources, and in some cases serious course corrections. Remember, Quality Branded IP stands the test of time. I just...
I guess my issue with branding is that it feels like a marshmallow. It's a little hard to get a real concept of, and I can't quite put a finger on something concrete. And then how do you express it? Develop a set of words that...
In this episode we sit down with Lino Maldonado, the CEO of BeHome247, to discuss where the industry is headed in 2023. Lino also offers advice on how to navigate the changing landscape of life and capitalize on new opportunities. This episode is brought you by PointCentral: https://www.pointcentral.com/vrmb/ the leaders in smart home automation, and Breezeway, https://www.breezeway.io/vrmb the best in class...
Great podcast. Takeaways: 18:00 minute mark > Do way more in the PMS which I have been saying since /2018. 24:00 minute mark > PMS Light, no threat. 34:00 minute mark > Bloodbath, could not agree...
In this episode we dive into the world of advocacy technology and how it’s being used to prevent bans and improve regulations. Our guest is Nils Erik Mattisson, the CEO and co-founder of Minut, a company that specializes in noise monitoring devices. Nils shares his insights...
In this episode, we take a look at big leaps, both personal and professional with @alexhusner -- as the newly appointed Chief Marketing Officer at Casago and co-host of the popular podcast, "Alex and Annie," Alex's personal brand has flourished alongside her success in the industry. Join us as we gain insight into her journey and strategies for achieving your own professional aspirations. This episode is...
In my endless pursuit for limited edition (full workshop here if you haven't watched it) I am starting to assemble chunks of a "how to" process that we can say to new STR operators "here's a good start." But seeing as though Limited Edition is so personal and unique and IRREPLICABLE lol the process of creating universal rules is difficult! Inspired by @CJ who pointed out to me recently the operational...
I use the term "lifestyle brand" to describe a vacation rental business whose marketing leads not with the property, but the vibes (or lifestyle) guests experience when staying there. You can immediately feel a lifestyle vacation rental brand when you come in contact with it. For instance, @Kristi and Starship Landing Retreat. The property itself is still there. But it's not the centerpiece of the photography...
We enjoyed the atmosphere and provenance of the cabin itself, but most notable (aside from the gorgeous hill country views) was the experience of walking through the orchard with grazing cows down to the...
Limited edition branding recommends emphasizing your one-of-a-kind virtues -- family owned/operated, locally based/headquartered, and specialized in a property type or location -- to create a moat of defense from competing vacation rental offerings. Some activities DO scale (and can be automated or done en mass). But I keep coming back to the word "Unscalable" as not just a good thing (for independents) but...
Thanks for asking @davidliedl Here is a link to the housekeeping checklist (scroll down to the bottom): https://community.vrmb.com/threads/ep109-the-trickiest-challenges-of-vacation-rental-housekeeping-and-how-to-solve-some-of-them.6896/ Thank you!
Happy 2023, listeners! This week we're letting Matt Landau's Unlocked podcast takeover our channel and share an interivew with Matt Durrette of Cozi Vacation Rentals. Matt is emblematic of the kind of Homerunner that the Unlocked podcast loves talking to, but he's also been thrown into one of the fastest moving advocacy situations in the country and we think his takeaaways will be invaluable to the How to Save...
Matt @Durrette is emblematic of the kind of Homerunner that is positioned to be the biggest winner as our industry evolves. In this episode we'll talk limited edition positioning in the growth to 300 properties, entrepreneurial operating systems and and advocacy in the latest Texas battlegrounds. Also featuring @EmilyRead This episode is brought you by PointCentral: https://www.pointcentral.com/vrmb/ the...
Kelly Hill is at the center of a network in McCall, Idaho that has real power against the regulatory tide sweeping our industry. She's even tackling seemingly unsolveable problems like low-income housing. Not every owner in her region can keep up with the dizzing pace of change, however. In this episode we find out what Kelly can teach us about balancing stakeholders and inch closer to an 'enforcement' score...

The Accelerator Program

Each quarter, we choose vacation rental managers to join our 1-year, mentorship-driven accelerator, providing hands-on business building and access to our network.

Enroll Now

VRMB Trends Report: 2023

Each year Matt puts his insight into essay form: no fancy graphics, just straight dinner table thoughts about what's coming in the not-so-distant future.

Available Now!