Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Monday Morning Motivation [Portraits]

This past weekend I had dinner with a cornucopia of business professionals.

At the table sat a video game software developer, a painter, a special education teacher, an intellectual property rights lawyer (who also happens to be my upstairs neighbor), and a shrimp broker (who literally sells fresh Louisiana shrimp to restaurants around town).

And when it was my turn to introduce myself, someone leads in like this: “And that’s Matt. He stays in vacation rentals for a living.”

No one had ever described my work this way, but it was not entirely inaccurate, after all, A Sense of Place is about meeting vacation rental destinations and Unlocked Podcast dives into the special people running the show.

But interestingly, this preface opened up a can of worms at the table, with every person taking the chance to recount some kind of horror story from a vacation rental stay. One of them (the video game guy) had his unnamed-listing-site reservation cancelled one day before a big trip only to learn that all the other lodging accommodations in town were fully booked (he had to cancel his trip).

Another had her super creepy unnamed-listing-site host ask if it was OK if he slept the night on the couch in the living room as “he was catching a train early the next morning.”

A third — perhaps the least dramatic of the group, the shrimp broker — said that his vacation rental experience wasn’t terrible, but the host “talked like I was doing him a favor for staying there.”

My instinct in hearing all of this was to get defensive, but instead I ordered a dirty martini.

And I began to reflect on what this conversation actually meant for the industry I call home.

My conclusion? Renting a vacation rental can be a crapshoot.

If you don’t know what to look for, if you don’t have any personal contacts or recommendations, if you haven’t done it before...booking a vacation rental is a little like Russian roulette in that there’s a chance for disaster. And that when it’s your hard earned vacation dollars on the line, this value proposition is kiiiiiind of dubious for a lot of travelers.

Of course, no vacation rental host can single-handedly convert all the doubters. But we can convince the ones we do come in contact with by putting our best foot forward, introducing ourselves, and taking responsibility for the guest’s experience.

IDEA: Convincing a traveler that you are professional and reliable is maybe the greatest deep marketing mission you can embark on.

ACTION: Quell doubts of amateurism and unreliability by investing a few hundred bucks in professional portrait photos for you and your staff. There is nothing that says unprofessional like a cropped or pixelated photo from Jerry’s wedding fifteen years ago. Worse, there’s nothing that says unpredictable like a host who’s not willing to show face (here's looking at you Mr. 'question mark' photo).

- Google “portrait photographer” in [your region]
- Pick a few you like and reach out for price quotes
- Block one morning off the booking calendar
- Gather your team (maintenance, cleaning, accounting, anyone who contributes to the business)
- Take gorgeous headshot photos (some serious and some fun)
- Place group shot in your About Us section as well as portraits with captions about each team member

If you don’t have authentic and professional portraits of you and your team, you either have amateur photos of you and your team or you don’t have any photos period, which opens up the door for the plenty of dubious travelers out there. Give yourself this gift: show off your beautiful face to the world of travelers. They deserve it. And you earned it!

DISCUSSION: Have professional portrait photos changed your game? Did you do anything special to secure them? Trades with photographers?

Great email this morning @Matt.

We've recently been going through thousands of vacation rental listing photos for products we're building for our software brand, and I've been personally blown away at how crappy a large % of the photos still are. It's amazing how your advice to spend money on professional photography still isn't a given at this point.

Going through the photos alone, not even looking at price, it's immediately obvious to me which listings will perform the best - it's just good, basic marketing.

Yes, the fundamental education levels in our industry are still very low. It's easy to be here in the IC and take for granted that professional photos of a property are obligatory...but go out and try to book a property yourself and you'll see quickly that it's not an industry standard. This is nice because it gives some people a leg up (just get the photos for pete's sake) but it's bad for the industry at large. If I was the VR commissioner, I'd make professional photos a requirement for all businesses -- and I'd use your software Wes to ensure that they're up to snuff :)

Now, photos that over-predict what a place is like...can you make mind-reading software for those too pls?

Hey Matt, I couldn't agree more, even if my headshot to the left isn't a pro shot. I view this IC as more familiar, plus I like to see my (now teenage) kids in their cute and cuddly years!

For my businesses and LinkedIn I use the pro headshots that you organized for us at the 2015 IC meet up in NOLA. They managed to capture (I think) my personable side whilst still looking professional.

Headshots, and in fact any photography that presents your service or product, should be professionally produced. To do anything less immediately sends a negative impression. It suggests you cut corners. I'm likely to hit the back button and choose another place to stay!

We've been talking at Host2Host about offering something that increases consistency. Consistency in what you can expect at a rental as well as what you can expect from hosts. We offered free headshots for our hosts at one of our functions which was very gladly received. We intend to develop a program to offer a badge of excellence based on certain things and a pro head-shot will be one of those. Those negative stories are everywhere, and it's very difficult to screen out properties that are lacking.

Headshots, and in fact any photography that presents your service or product, should be professionally produced.
This is such a wise statement. We’ve discussed in the past here in the IC how one of the big questions is “what does professional mean to you?” Some hosts are crazy, some are quirky, some are flamboyant, some are quiet...etc. Professional doesn’t need to mean nice pressed button-down shirt and lots of makeup. I think that whatever you decide your version of professional to be...THIS is what should be professionally captured, in order to show off the best version of...whatever it is.

We've been talking at Host2Host about offering something that increases consistency. Consistency in what you can expect at a rental as well as what you can expect from hosts. We offered free headshots for our hosts at one of our functions which was very gladly received. We intend to develop a program to offer a badge of excellence based on certain things and a pro head-shot will be one of those. Those negative stories are everywhere, and it's very difficult to screen out properties that are lacking.
Brilliant. In re-reading the MMM above, it’s not to say that professional portraits will guarantee a host never under-performs. But portraits are indeed a way for those of us who want to avoid that stigma to stand out from those who clearly don’t care.

This is such a wise statement. We’ve discussed in the past here in the IC how one of the big questions is “what does professional mean to you?” Some hosts are crazy, some are quirky, some are flamboyant, some are quiet...etc. Professional doesn’t need to mean nice pressed button-down shirt and lots of makeup. I think that whatever you decide your version of professional to be...THIS is what should be professionally captured, in order to show off the best version of...whatever it is.

Thinking your assumption/presupposition is all who are in this business strive to be "professional" - no matter how it is manifested.

By virtue of membership in this community of practice, there is the assumption/presupposition that we ARE or WILL COMMIT TO BECOME professional.

How many of the owners of those horror-homes-of-no-names actually considered themselves "PROFESSIONAL" as opposed to simply making a buck on an empty bed?

Great stuff here! I've always known professional photography to be of utmost importance as it has been my families' business for well over 100 years (excepting the picture to the left as we opted for a more informal shot for this forum). We have received great feedback for this on our site as it creates familiarity. We don't feature our staff, (which could be a mistake?) but we feature ourselves as the owners so travelers get this sense of familiarity with "where the buck stops" should there be an issue with their stay...

About the author

Back