Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

$10,000 to go without your smartphone for 1 month

One of the big shifts I've made over the last year is in recognizing creativity is THE muscle all homerunners need to start exercising more consistently and pronto -- said another way, it is the LACK of outside-the-box thinking that gets even the most innovative companies stuck in their old/comfortable ways and in some cases sunk.

Side Note: I've become so enamored with creative pursuits that I have begun to interview some of the most creative business people I know about how THEY leverage originality into supremely valuable brands. Here my first three interviews: a street artist, the inventor of the mini-skirt, and the founder of the most disruptive art non-profit here in Miami.

IMG_7351.jpg IMG_7464.jpg IMG_7590.jpg

As it relates to hospitality, I've been keeping my eyes out for examples of what creative outcomes can look like so we can begin to connect the dots.

And I absolutely love this story about a NY-based dairy company who is promoting a wellness campaign in which they will pay you $10,000 to go without your phone for 1 month.

Their campaign targets people who want to re-evaluate their relationship with technology and live a healthier, more connected life. Those are the people they want to buy their yogurt.

Those interested in participating can sign up for the contest by submitting a 100-500 word essay, “explaining why you need a digital detox in your life and how it will impact you in a positive way,” according to Siggi’s website.

Participants must be 18 years old or older and sign up before the end of the day on Jan. 31. Ten lucky winners will be selected and notified via email and will receive
$10,000, A lockbox for your smartphone, A flip phone so you can still make calls, A pre-paid SIM card for one month, Enough Siggi’s yogurt for three months.

How great is this?!

Does it have you thinking about your own marketing differently??

What elements of giveaway (ex. $10k) and society trends (ex. mental health) could you leverage to work for you?

P.S. Noralinda Noralinda started a most valuable discussion about the "unplugged experience" in TX Hill Country and the comments are very very very insightful.

One of the big shifts I've made over the last year is in recognizing creativity is THE muscle all homerunners need to start exercising more consistently and pronto -- said another way, it is the LACK of outside-the-box thinking that gets even the most innovative companies stuck in their old/comfortable ways and in some cases sunk.
For several years I worked with a printer for big jobs as well as small jobs. He was easy to work with, reliable, and his pricing was competitive. As digital communications began to reduce his clients' print jobs, he'd bemoan the loss of revenue.

"Peter," I said. "Look broader. You're in the communications business, not the printing business. Branch out to designing and producing digital communications. Keep printing, but expand your services."

He never did, and his business died a slow death.

Who are our ideal guests, what are they facing in their lives, and how can we broaden our services?

Are we also in the business of family relations, romance, digital detox, fantasy escape, reinvention, nature immersion, foreign relations, learning something, quitting something, fitness, recovery?

Can our vacation rental model broaden to include medical travel, relocation sampling, temp housing while homes are renovated, artist/writer retreats, or other stays that may be less profitable but also less demanding?

Last edited:
Are we also in the business of family relations, romance, digital detox, fantasy escape, reinvention, nature immersion, foreign relations, learning something, quitting something, fitness, recovery?

Can our vacation rental model broaden to include medical travel, relocation sampling, temp housing while homes are renovated, artist/writer retreats, or other stays that may be less profitable but also less demanding?
YES x10000 👆

For several years I worked with a printer for big jobs as well as small jobs. He was easy to work with, reliable, and his pricing was competitive. As digital communications began to reduce his clients' print jobs, he'd bemoan the loss of revenue.

"Peter," I said. "Look broader. You're in the communications business, not the printing business. Branch out to designing and producing digital communications. Keep printing, but expand your services."

He never did, and his business died a slow death.

Who are our ideal guests, what are they facing in their lives, and how can we broaden our services?

Sallie Sallie I’ve been doing some of these for years! Housing for people on temporary work assignments - many Such guests! Temporary housing (this guest is closing in on two years, so not that temporary). We will be hosting artists and guests in early June as part of a grant program through the state. Some guests are visiting the local college. A few years ago we agreed to respite care. Some guests visit because they’re on vacation!

About the author

Back