Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Collections

Collections.5.png
IDEA
Just because all vacation rental properties and owners are different (this is what makes us great) does not mean we cannot unite them under one umbrella. Collections or clusters of properties with a common theme and/or location have been used by big hotel brands for decades. So long as they have a core identity, Collections can tighten, distinguish, and drive the marketing of any growing vacation rental fleet.

ACTION
If you are a single property owner, consider finding other single property owners elsewhere in the world that seem to speak your language (and cater to your style guest). Hop on the phone and invent a Collection name that unites your properties together (the more unique, the better), then create a page on your respective websites announcing your now-borderless vacation rental reach.

If you are a property manager, buy a pack of index cards, write out the vitals of each property per card (location, bedrooms, style, price..etc.) then throw all the cards on the floor, get a glass of wine, and attempt to cluster the index cards based on commonalities.

Geography: Properties that are located in the same building, block, or even neighborhood (ex. The Uptown Collection, The Retreat Collection, The Infinity Collection)

Pricepoint: Properties that fall on the same end of the price-per-night spectrum (ex. The Access Collection, The Luxe Collection)

Decor: Properties that have similar furniture, themes, or flare (ex. The Saphire Collection, The India Collection, The Autograph Collection)

Target Guest: Properties that cater to the same kinds of guests (ex. big families = The Generation Collection)

Questions/ideas/comments welcomed below...

I'll need to search into past posts on "BackLinks" for past discussions on the topic.

re "invent a Collection name that unites your properties together (the more unique, the better), then create a page on your respective websites announcing your now-borderless vacation rental reach."

If I understand your suggestion and as I recall...

Ages ago when I had a dedicated page of VRs that I recommended, it was suggested (by ConradO ConradO?) that sort of swapping of links - I'll list yours if you list mine and we'll title it VRs that we like, that would be frowned upon by the Google Gods.

However, that particular listing was not niche-specific. But wouldn't the end purpose would be the same with or without the niche? Would it be a matter of playing around with Keywords?

I'll need to search into past posts on "BackLinks" for past discussions on the topic.

re "invent a Collection name that unites your properties together (the more unique, the better), then create a page on your respective websites announcing your now-borderless vacation rental reach."

If I understand your suggestion and as I recall...

Ages ago when I had a dedicated page of VRs that I recommended, it was suggested (by ConradO ConradO?) that sort of swapping of links - I'll list yours if you list mine and we'll title it VRs that we like, that would be frowned upon by the Google Gods.

However, that particular listing was not niche-specific. But wouldn't the end purpose would be the same with or without the niche? Would it be a matter of playing around with Keywords?
Link swapping or link exchanges used to be (and still is) a frowned upon practice when done at scale. The point being that Google wants authorities and not just link brokers. But placing outbound links to sites you like and/or work with will not get you penalized. Promise.

About the author

Back