Subscribe to the Unlocked Podcast by Matt Landau on
Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher or pretty much any other app.
Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Here Goes Nothin’ with Steve Hafner

Today's Unlocked podcast episode featuring Steve Hafner (co-founder and CEO of KAYAK) is perhaps my proudest interview of all time.

As you'll hear in the introduction, I was quite nervous beforehand for a confluence of reasons...

From the recording studio I rented for the occasion, to the personal nature of the topics I wanted to discuss, to Steve's famed pointed status in tech and travel...

A lot of pressure was mounting!

So before we begin I go to the bathroom to gather my thoughts...

Pee first
Splash some water on my face
Then look myself in the mirror

And casually blert out a phrase that would set the stage not just for the interview with Steve but optimistically for the next chapter of our industry's growth: Here goes nothin'

You know that zero moment of truth before you're about to do something new or difficult?

That change that's needed in your business/life that needs to come to afront?

That disruption that you create for you and your market?

Here goes nothin' is about taking a deep breath, betting on YOU and just going for it!

The here goes nothin' interview is so rich with insight I dedicated this week's newsletter to my learnings...

Here are three of my big lessons from the interview with KAYAK CEO Steve Hafner...

1. Put Down Your Devices​

Lately I've found myself clicking away at my iPhone more than ever...quite often I catch myself scrolling or alternating between apps and I'm like "dude, what the hell are you doing with your life?"

'This made its way into our discussion because despite loving technology, Steve as a father (and a human) believes a strong sense of authenticity is a requirement to innovate.

Authenticity as a deep sense of your unique tastes, preferences, and desires...all of which tend to get blurred/jaded/distorted by the screens and apps we seem to look at for ungodly hours a day.

This is where Steve gives listeners the same rules he has for his kids (and aspiring founders): how putting down devices is the pre-requisite to getting clearer on your vision.

Steve thinks lots of professionals are lying to themselves...living inauthentically and lacking the courage to seek what makes them happy and what gives them purpose.

2. 'Socialize' Your Story​

I'd never heard this phrase before, but the gist is this:

Everyone has a story...it's the leaders who socialize their story (ie. telling people about it)...these are the people who break through the force field of inaction (ie. sitting on your couch and telling no one) and into surprise positions of authority.

[Authority, coming from the root word author or authorship.]

For instance, Steve talks about trying improv comedy class and how he was not funny at all...which in turn is hilarious as you can hear me dying laughing during the interview.

He talks about how 'reading the room' is key in raising millions of dollars from VCs.

And how not unlike a comedian refining a joke over time, socializing your idea or story is an uncomfortable process akin to middle aged men dancing in night clubs (which we touch on as well)...

But this is where 'Here goes nothin' comes in handy...there's no way to avoid or dance around your story/vision...the only way is through.

Sooner or later, you just gotta go for it!

3. Here Goes Nothin'​

My biggest lesson from this whole experience was actually not from Steve it was one I had with myself in the bathroom LOL when I said 'here goes nothin.'

What I did not share earlier is that I decided prepare for Steve's interview in a very different way than ever before.

Where I used to plan out every detail, question, and sequencing of my interviews almost to the point of over-thinking...for Steve I decided that it was time to let go of that nerd and bet on a new nerd that was fully equipped to go organic and REAL in facilitating the discussion. And to do it face to face with one of the most iconic CEOs in travel!

This added to my nerves beforehand as it is nerve-racking to relinquish something that has worked for years (Unlocked is several hundred episodes deep!)

But I believe when those words left my mouth it represented a mini-but-mega shift inside my being: letting go of a rigid way of doing things >> betting on myself to navigate unknown and unlimited new possibilities.

And Steve empowered that process: we'd go on to talk extensively about the courage and rewards of taking risks to become more visionary and how it can transform your industry and your life.

NOTE: If you would like to WATCH the interview (yes, the whole thing is recorded on video and it's quite entertaining) please just DM me...I'll be requesting some feedback in return :)

###

Today's episode features Steve Hafner, the co-founder and CEO of Kayak. Kayak is a search engine for travel services, including airline flights, hotels, rental cars, and vacation packages.

In this episode, Steve and Matt talk about what it means to be a visionary, and how to be creative and bring ideas. Steve and Matt dive into the importance of storytelling, and Steve talks about how clarity helps to become more authentic.

This episode is brought to you in partnership with OwnerRez, a property management software that covers small homeowners and large PMs alike.

If you would like to join Matt, and over 1200 of the most creative Vacation Rental operators in the world, make sure to head over to community.vrmb.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

About the author

“A podcast with a splash! Thoughtful, well-targeted, and useful delivery.”
— Beth, Splashy Ventures
“I listen while pulling weeds in my garden. Perfect way of spending my morning.”
— Sibylle, Villa Ausblick
“High-quality, actionable, and timely. Pure gold.”
— Matthew, Family Time Vacation Rentals
Back