Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

It Takes Vacation To Make Vacations

Chances are, you aren't getting enough distance from your business.

The upside to being in the trenches is the personal payoff (the 5-star review, sense of purpose, an especially great paycheck). The risk is fatigue. Fatigue + control freaks = a dangerously unstable operation. ESPECIALLY unstable in a hospitality environment that depends on human connection.

ACTION: Take vacation in order to make vacations: that is an order! Travel for a few days somewhere new. Do a staycation at a cool hotel nearby. Reach out to a fellow STR host and trade nights in order to save money. Schedule some fun non-business activities during this break or just do absolutely nothing. Do not think about your vacation rental during this period.

Step 1. Schedule the days on your calendar

Step 2. Book travel

Step 3. Begin to make the necessary steps to ensure your business runs smoothly.

If this last step is difficult for you to envision, it's likely either because...

a) You have baked yourself into the business and everything relies on you, in which case the prep-time will be your chance to find/train someone to handle your tasks for those days. This is hard, but very worthwhile.

b) You are a control freak and refuse to let anyone else do their jobs without your influence, in which case this forced break will be your challenge to relinquish a bit of control and build a more valuable business in the long haul. Just chill man. Your team will thank you.

c) In some rare cases, your occupancy calendar doesn't offer any breaks, in which case you should block off a week and eat the lost income like a vitamin.

Engineering some off-time into your calendar this year is an investment in the future of your business and your happiness.

Jump in below with where you are going, why this may be an issue for you, or how this type of decision has impacted you in the past?

Last edited:
This is great advice! I am currently on day 9 of a 10 day vacation, in the high season of my second season of vacation rentals. My family wanted to go on a vacation, and rather than push it back until November (when I close my calendar for the winter), I decided to give it a try. Guess what? It is AMAZING.

The way to make it work?
1) I continue to run all of the communications with our guests but my check-ins are done by my neighbor, who helps me throughout the season with cleaning and hospitality. I pay her extra for the check-ins and my guests LOVE her. Today, she brought her 3 year old along (another reason why I love this business: flexibility!)
2) I made sure that all supplies were ready before I left and all maintenance was done. (Today we had a minor maintenance issue but we handled it, thanks to my neighbor and our handy man).
3) I had long weekend dates open but when I decided that we were going on vacation, I blocked them. Yes, I decided to earn less on those dates so that I could enjoy the vacation without worry.
4) Have a backup plan: yesterday, my neighbor could not do a check-in due to an unforeseen issue. Easy: I asked our luggage porter service to do the check-in.

Results? Guests are VERY happy and so are we.

Thanks Matt for starting the conversation and sharing the wisdom!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is great advice! I am currently on day 9 of a 10 day vacation, in the high season of my second season of vacation rentals. My family wanted to go on a vacation, and rather than push it back until November (when I close my calendar for the winter), I decided to give it a try. Guess what? It is AMAZING.

The way to make it work?
1) I continue to run all of the communications with our guests but my check-ins are done by my neighbor, who helps me throughout the season with cleaning and hospitality. I pay her extra for the check-ins and my guests LOVE her. Today, she brought her 3 year old along (another reason why I love this business: flexibility!)
2) I made sure that all supplies were ready before I left and all maintenance was done. (Today we had a minor maintenance issue but we handled it, thanks to my neighbor and our handy man).
3) I had long weekend dates open but when I decided that we were going on vacation, I blocked them. Yes, I decided to earn less on those dates so that I could enjoy the vacation without worry.
4) Have a backup plan: yesterday, my neighbor could not do a check-in due to an unforeseen issue. Easy: I asked our luggage porter service to do the check-in.

Results? Guests are VERY happy and so are we.

Thanks Matt for starting the conversation and sharing the wisdom!
Yes Yes Yes! Ruth, this is IT! Sibylle Sibylle ’s husband once described this kind of forced vacation to me as a “manufactured crisis” in which I would HAVE to deal with a bunch of things I had been avoiding. Like you, the business was better for it in the end.

Any new VR professional here in the IC should weave this into their business plan from day 1. All the veteran pros here may want to consider re-assessing where they are at.

Matt Landau Matt Landau I’ve gone radical with my “vitamin” intake for 2020 and my spelling is simply awful: I keep mixing up the word “vacation” with “vocation.” For three years in a row I spent just about all of my net profit renting another place on St. John during high season.

This year I’ve blocked off February, March, and April for myself at Tropical Blessings, that’s most of high season but I really deserve it! I know myself well enough to call it a “working vacation.” Is that cheating??

One of your strongest messages to me this year has been “Don’t compromise your own terms.” At first I viewed that solely in the context of the many challenges created by the upheaval of big changes in the VR industry.

I promised myself not to low bottom my rates, etc. I later realized my own terms include not just being hospitable to my guests but also offering hospitality to myself too.

Over 8 years ago when I bought Tropical Blessings and unexpectedly landed in VR business, a venture I’d never planned, one of my first questions to myself was “What would I really appreciate if I was a guest in my own home?” With piles of laundry to fold and other endless chores
that are hard to keep up with at home the question seemed ludicrous. However, I’ve been exactly on that very mission ever since: to create a lovely sense of home with innumerable touches of TLC for those who stay at Tropical Blessings.

I look forward to testing my question out on myself: What would I really appreciate if I felt like a guest at my home? I’ll find out but my guess is that I’ll feel like a VIP at Tropical Blessings for three months and I’ll probably view the owner as an exceptionally thoughtful person. :)

I’m not going to feel guilty about this time either, hey, it’s called “Research and Development!” I have marching orders too: Go to the beach!

Matt Landau Matt Landau I’ve gone radical with my “vitamin” intake for 2020 and my spelling is simply awful: I keep mixing up the word “vacation” with “vocation.” For three years in a row I spent just about all of my net profit renting another place on St. John during high season.

This year I’ve blocked off February, March, and April for myself at Tropical Blessings, that’s most of high season but I really deserve it! I know myself well enough to call it a “working vacation.” Is that cheating??

One of your strongest messages to me this year has been “Don’t compromise your own terms.” At first I viewed that solely in the context of the many challenges created by the upheaval of big changes in the VR industry.

I promised myself not to low bottom my rates, etc. I later realized my own terms include not just being hospitable to my guests but also offering hospitality to myself too.

Over 8 years ago when I bought Tropical Blessings and unexpectedly landed in VR business, a venture I’d never planned, one of my first questions to myself was “What would I really appreciate if I was a guest in my own home?” With piles of laundry to fold and other endless chores
that are hard to keep up with at home the question seemed ludicrous. However, I’ve been exactly on that very mission ever since: to create a lovely sense of home with innumerable touches of TLC for those who stay at Tropical Blessings.

I look forward to testing my question out on myself: What would I really appreciate if I felt like a guest at my home? I’ll find out but my guess is that I’ll feel like a VIP at Tropical Blessings for three months and I’ll probably view the owner as an exceptionally thoughtful person. :)

I’m not going to feel guilty about this time either, hey, it’s called “Research and Development!” I have marching orders too: Go to the beach!
YES KARLA YES! Any anyone who needs a glimpse into what Karla does at her business, WATCH THIS NOW.

What a timely post Matt Landau Matt Landau. I’m currently on a 17 day holiday through Italy and Switzerland with my wife. As I type, we are on a Trenitalia train from Venice to Interlaken, after a very relaxing week in Tuscany last week and brief stop in Venice. I decided a couple of years ago to block off a few weeks a year on our rental calendar so I could truly be on vacation and not dealing with house/guest issues from significantly different time zones. If I had renters now, I would be constantly waiting for the crisis. Even little things that could be easily handled from home would become major problems to coordinate from Europe. It’s the only way to truly recharge!!

OK OK so a couple of years ago when we met someone with the initials "Matt Landau" we were given several "homework assignments" before he left our beautiful little area. Sound familiar to anyone who's spent some time with Matt?

One of those assignments was this - you gotta get away even if it's for a few days because you haven't taken any kind of break in how long? over 6 years??? Yep, it had been a while since Edna and I went anywhere together!

So a year ago with the gracious help of Glenda Glenda we spent a few days in her absolutely beautiful condo in Gulf Shores, AL. On the way home Edna said we haven't gotten a long that good in a very long time. Neither of us were stressed while we were gone. A very different feeling than usual where one of both of us are trying to get everything done all the time. We took Matt's advice and for the most part didn't think about or worry about the business.

When it comes to our VR business I live and breathe b) - a control freak. I know this but like a lot you guys, I want every guests vacation to be as awesome as possible. I believe it's our responsibility to give them that and their right to receive it.

That said, thinking about Matt's challenge, we have to be responsible enough to ourselves, our business and our spouses/partners to do the same - have a wonderful vacation from time to time! Guess I've got to start planning something today...

What a timely post Matt Landau Matt Landau. I’m currently on a 17 day holiday through Italy and Switzerland with my wife. As I type, we are on a Trenitalia train from Venice to Interlaken, after a very relaxing week in Tuscany last week and brief stop in Venice. I decided a couple of years ago to block off a few weeks a year on our rental calendar so I could truly be on vacation and not dealing with house/guest issues from significantly different time zones. If I had renters now, I would be constantly waiting for the crisis. Even little things that could be easily handled from home would become major problems to coordinate from Europe. It’s the only way to truly recharge!!
Good thinking Mark Mark ! I was just in NY in August visiting my parents...and I woke up in the middle of the night or started my day at 5am to deal with my 2 vacation homes in Italy (6 hour time difference). Yes, I loved being able to see my parents but not the vacation I was able to enjoy this past weekend when we were away and I had blocked my calendars to have no guests (true vacation).

Yes, Matt, a very timely post. As someone who has built a business over 15 years from 6 properties to 110, I have done the 90 hours a week when the economy is bad and held back on hiring more staff. About 5 years ago, we started attaching a vacation to a conference. So three or four days of education and networking and a week in a new place. From Austin TX to Santa fe NM and more. And i discovered that my staff did an awesome job without me and had to answer their questions themselves or between them. For the first time we hired a Marketing Director - wow what a difference. As we live and work on a beach in SW Florida, I make sure I walk down to the water every week to remind me of why people come here. Go have a margarita and watch the sunset (or whatever your local equivalent is) and remember why people come to your destinaiton.

Yes, Matt, a very timely post. As someone who has built a business over 15 years from 6 properties to 110, I have done the 90 hours a week when the economy is bad and held back on hiring more staff. About 5 years ago, we started attaching a vacation to a conference. So three or four days of education and networking and a week in a new place. From Austin TX to Santa fe NM and more. And i discovered that my staff did an awesome job without me and had to answer their questions themselves or between them. For the first time we hired a Marketing Director - wow what a difference. As we live and work on a beach in SW Florida, I make sure I walk down to the water every week to remind me of why people come here. Go have a margarita and watch the sunset (or whatever your local equivalent is) and remember why people come to your destinaiton.
It was great to see you last weekend. For anyone considering a conference, this season is going to be like a focal point of upward growth for the industry. Please reach out if you'd like help selecting the right conference for you!

You're In The Vacation Industry But You Never Take Vacation. Follow These 3 Steps...

IDEA: Most vacation rental professionals tend to over-work because they wear many hats. This often results in lack of sleep, very limited relaxation, and loss of valuable perspective on the business (because one cannot get perspective when they are inside of it 24/7). Over-working is not sustainable...it will eventually burn you from the inside out.

ACTION: Take a forced break: that is an order! If you have time, travel for a few days somewhere new. If time is short, do a staycation at a cool hotel nearby. Schedule some fun non-business activities during this break or just do absolutely nothing. Do not think about your vacation rental during this period. No IC either!

Step 1. Schedule the days on your calendar

Step 2. Book travel

Step 3. Begin to make the necessary steps to ensure your business runs smoothly.

If this last step is difficult for you to envision, it's likely either because...

a) You have baked yourself into the business and everything relies on you, in which case the prep-time will be your chance to find/train someone to handle your tasks for those days. This is hard, but extraordinarily worthwhile.

b) You are a control freak and refuse to let anyone else do their jobs without your influence, in which case this forced break will be your challenge to relinquish a bit of control and build a more valuable business in the long haul. Just chill man. Your team will thank you.

c) In some rare cases, your occupancy calendar doesn't offer any breaks, in which case you should block off a week and eat the lost income like a vitamin.

Follow these three steps to engineer off-time into your vacation rental workflow. It will be an investment in the future of your business and your happiness.

Jump in below with where you are going, why this may be an issue for you, or how this type of decision has impacted you in the past?

Judith mentions it below, but I always book a solid vacay after VRMA or similar. 1. it's a shoulder couple weeks from highs of summer and prior leaf season and 2. I can put in my OOO I'm gone on a work trip. But other than that, yeah, I work 9 days a week 32 hours a day feels like. But when I'm off? I. am. off. I have the phone company turn off my phone. I ask other people what time it is or where to go eat. you know, like the old days.

Judith mentions it below, but I always book a solid vacay after VRMA or similar. 1. it's a shoulder couple weeks from highs of summer and prior leaf season and 2. I can put in my OOO I'm gone on a work trip. But other than that, yeah, I work 9 days a week 32 hours a day feels like. But when I'm off? I. am. off. I have the phone company turn off my phone. I ask other people what time it is or where to go eat. you know, like the old days.
For my 63rd birthday, I gave myself the best gift ever. I turned off ALL notifications on my phone except for telephone calls. My phone does not bing or vibrate or ping or light up or anything! I. Love. It.
PS I just got a terrible review and they highlighted that I don't text as one of the worst things about me. :ROFLMAO: They surely don't know me because that assuredly is not my worst trait!

Greetings IC! I have a question for all of you who have a staff of one (like me). As my business grows and I add more properties I am realizing that I am feeling bound to stay close to my properties at all times. I stress out that something will happen that I can't handle from far away if I go on vacation (I'm planning a ski trip for March right now). I do not have the revenue to support a full-time 'oh crap' person. At this point, all I've been doing when I leave town is let the cleaners know in the hopes that they could fill in if need be for an emergency. What do you do so that you can actually relax on your vacation? I think it is comically ironic that someone who specializes in making sure others have a great vacation feels trapped in his job and is afraid to go on vacation.

Hey Bruce! Been there done that. Anyone in this business without a “staff” who says they haven’t is lying to themselves.

years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Matt for the first time. He gave me and my wife a list of a few To Do’s. The first being go schedule and take a vacation because it had been years since we did. She and I were (and still are) the company just like you.

he gave us great advice and at that time we just did it. No real backup at home other than a friend who could probably find someone to handle a situation that might arise.

we’re growing too these days. We’re on our third cleaning crew since the first two “didn’t work out” lol. These folks actually do a lot of other things too so if we’re away I can call them and they’ll handle a situation.

For plumbing, electrical, HVAC etc, we have awesome contractors who I can call and they’ll go to the property and handle the situation. I think this is one of the biggest things we can do to put our mind at ease when we’re away.

You probably already have these contractors in your phone. If not do that ASAP. In addition find a Handyman type person who you can call for the other stuff. Worst case you can give them some $, kind of like a retainer, to be “on call” while your away. Believe me the peace of mind is worth a few bucks!

Hope you get a couple of ideas from this. Feel free to reach out to me directly if I can help!

This is really neat advice DK DK and I remember vividly the terror that came across your face when I suggested booking vacation (in fact, didn't you book it with Glenda Glenda). Not to say that "everything changes" when you figure out how to pull this off. But it certainly provides for well-needed respites.

Which brings me to an important question...

I do not have the revenue to support a full-time 'oh crap' person.
Are you able to invest in a part-time 'oh crap' person if the "ROI" is total peace of mind?

This is really neat advice DK DK and I remember vividly the terror that came across your face when I suggested booking vacation (in fact, didn't you book it with Glenda Glenda). Not to say that "everything changes" when you figure out how to pull this off. But it certainly provides for well-needed respites.

Which brings me to an important question...

Are you able to invest in a part-time 'oh crap' person if the "ROI" is total peace of mind?
I have not seen that previous post and I am getting close to the point where hiring someone, even if it is simply a regular retainer, might be worth it. Peace of mind is worth a whole lot!!!

Hey Bruce, I also was also thinking: is there another vacation rental manager in town you can partner up with?
Exactly what I was going to suggest. I know some local property managers who help each other when they go on vacation AND a property manager who charges a fee (25 Euros for a check-in). In addition, there used to be a local business that would do your check-in for a fee.

In my own case (hello: I am the business!), I have used my husband when I'm away visiting my parents and my cleaner (and paid her extra for her time). I have a very good relationship with my plumber and carpenter so if I need something, even on a Sunday, they will come and deal with it.

You should have a backup plan person AND some keys always available for this back up person (as well as any handy person etc.) This year, we will go away and I am already lining up my team. Good luck to you!

I just had a nice conversation with my mother (a university professor) who explained the idea behind “sabbatical” — the gist is she (and other leading academics) accept less pay (than what they’re probably worth on the open market) in exchange for (among other things) this “perk” of taking required paid time off — a central pillar to thinking differently and avoiding burnout in their highly focused research. Interesting!

Vacation days are the biggest luxury I miss from my old healthcare career. Putting an out-of-office message in the email and getting a restorative break. One of the downsides of this industry is figuring out how to unplug completely. Generally, things run smoothly, but occasionally there is that outlier guest situation. This is a work in progress for me.

I have taken your advice and trained one of my sons that also lives on the farm on running my short-term rental business. I am going on a cruise in May and Dan, my husband, insisted I block off that week, just in case major something should happen (he is not going on the cruise). I think my son could handle emergencies, but Dan didn't want to take a chance. To keep peace in the family, I did block off the calendars of both homes on the farm.

c) In some rare cases, your occupancy calendar doesn't offer any breaks, in which case you should block off a week and eat the lost income like a vitamin. I HATE having to block off the calendar - to me the lost income is more of a bitter pill to swallow!!

About the author

Back