Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Monday Morning Motivation [Pleasing to the Eye]

IDEA: If you want guests to actually read what you write, make it pleasing to the eye.

ACTION: I challenge you to use these four rules in all of your writing for the next week. If you're like me, once you start doing it, you will never look at text the same way again.
  1. Keep your paragraphs short (2-3 sentences max)
  2. Bold the important words or phrases or headers or titles
  3. List things using bullets
  4. Use numbers to outline parts of your message
Try using this form of writing in both personal and business ...people will thank you!

IDEA: If you want guests to actually read what you write, make it pleasing to the eye.

ACTION: I challenge you to use these four rules in all of your writing for the next week. If you're like me, once you start doing it, you will never look at text the same way again.
  1. Keep your paragraphs short (2-3 sentences max)
  2. Bold the important words or phrases or headers or titles
  3. List things using bullets
  4. Use numbers to outline parts of your message
Try using this form of writing in both personal and business ...people will thank you!

So I am notorious for not reading..I say that has too many words quite often. In looking at all of our descriptions I feel like it is too wordy, but don't want 30 bullet points either. It is for sure a happy medium. Majority of people will look at photos and be fine with bullet points, but there are the small percentage that want all the detail that is in our lengthy description. Trying to find a good site that encompasses both or has maybe gotten away from the wordy parts :)

We hear a lot that "no one reads property descriptions." I think this is—at least some of the time—a result of a big honking block of text that's full of words that don't say much, or a big list of ALL CAPS house rules, or someone trying to squeeze every last amenity into their description. Of course no one reads.

It's better to let the photos do a lot of the legwork and leave the description to cover what photos can't.

We actually wrote a post on this recently: Our Best Advice for Listing Descriptions? Keep it Simple.

It's a challenge, but lately we've been trying to really shrink the descriptions we write down to their most essential elements (less than 400 words; ideally less than 300).

Also: Anyone want to help me petition the listing sites to allow things like bullets and bold fonts?! Been waiting for that for years!

We use colours as well to empathise some points in our emails. Also laying out in your first email, they way things are going to go down helps. Guests then look for the emails. However, we still have trouble with some guests completely ignoring us.
I personally really don't like colors in emails (other than the occasional red). But hey, whatever floats yer boat!

Matt Landau Matt Landau I think this might be the MOST powerful thing you can share with us. WHAT and HOW to communicate is KEY.
Write, read, EDIT, EDIT, and EDIT some more. Practice makes perfect. I am in the process of creating our new website and I keep trying to go simpler for better IMPACT. THANKS for the reminder.

About the author

Back