Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

Monday Morning Motivation [Think Differently]

[Note to Self: "Tuesday Afternoon Motivation" doesn't sound nearly as good as "Monday Morning Motivation.]

Think Differently
Today Inspirato announced a new "netflix-style" travel service offering travelers unlimited access to 60,000 Luxury Villas and Resorts around the world for $2500/month. No extra taxes or fees. Just $2500/month for unlimited stays in luxe villas and five-star hotels with no nightly fees. Here's the link: https://robbreport.com/travel/hotels/inspirato-luxury-travel-subscription-service-2857967/

I’ve always felt that creating the next wave of “luxury” travel would require radical thinking. But this project won’t just startle hospitality execs...it will challenge every person living in a big city to think about their lives differently. It will awake a whole new generation of prospective guests. It is disrupting an already disrupted space.

IDEA: Trying to grow within the confines of the sandbox -- the rules, platforms, concepts that already exist in our industry -- means your results will be within the confines of the sandbox. Thinking outside those walls, creating your own sand box, and creating your own economic models that work (no matter how small) is easier to achieve today than it's ever been before.

ACTION: Instead of running your vacation rental business "the way it's always been," think outisde the box and trial new models that work on paper.

1. Invent a New Model
Here are some ideas inspired by Inspirato.

Subscriptions: Have you offered your former guests the chance to pre-book several stays in advance in exchange for a hefty discount? The ability to project your occupancy into the future means confidence -- that confidence has a $ value. Inspirato is banking on lots of members paying a relatively low cost on a recurring basis.

Private Collections: What kind of variety could you offer by linking up with a handful of fellow vacation rental managers around the world that fall into your genre? Golf-friendly vacation rentals? French-owned vacation rentals? Vacation rentals in the woods? For travelers, the gamble of finding the right place creates anxiety -- that anxiety relieved has a $ value. Inspirato already had the properties so they can guarantee the consistency.

Irresistible Offers: What price deal could you offer right now, that none of your competitors could afford to (or have the courage to) replicate? The benefits of repeat guests can far outweight the work required with new ones -- that difference has a $ value. Inspirato chose $2500: a number that's less than the rent of most big-city apartments.

2. Try it Out
Don't change your entire business until you've proven that this works on a small scale (or at least the minimum amount you deem necessary to test).

Please post below your radical ideas!!!

Summary: Inspirato's announcement -- despite the fact they are a big company with an amazing brand and high-end clientelle -- is trying to communicate something to us: anything is possible right now. Our creativity is the limit.

From a VRMB subscriber:

Absolutely great post and I love where you’re heading with this. I saw Inspirato’s announcement yesterday and instantly found myself screaming “Yes, yes, yes!!!”. It’s such a brilliant idea and one I’ve been trying to brainstorm a model around. There is definitely an entire Blue Ocean strategy around this model.

“Instantly, I loved this and we started playing around with how to imitate it. I wondered about the economics of this but the brilliance is that you can't book your next one until you complete the current open one - so no more than one open booking at a time. It moves the close-in and unlikely to book stuff or you book 6-months in advance and freeze your options. However, you can upgrade to $5000 to have 2 at a time or $7500 to have 3 at a time. It's brilliant. Honestly, I may also pull the trigger to try it but it would require 3 x's / year to break even or better, depending on when/where you go. Either way, it was provocative and, yes, love the subscription model.”​

like any hospitality business, they're adapting their offerings and pricing.
Well put.

they simply repackaged their Membership at a higher monthly rate for a shorter length of time.
But this is where I think you overlook an important shift. It may seem simple or even counter-intuitive (they're charging MORE?) but I think the model shift or the way it is packaged is the real innovation here. Well, maybe not rocket science. But certainly a different model to consider for travelers. You located in Lindsborg with a young but burgeoning tourism market may not be in the best position to entertain the ideas just yet. But I see businesses with heavy tourism seasons year-round, tons of repeat guests, and general high-demand in a good position to consider shaking things up. When you write the rules to your own game, you increase your chance of winning.

Thanks Matt Landau Matt Landau for your emphasis on innovation. A couple of initial ideas for Lindsborg:
1) I could offer a package in connection to a popular concert at the nearby Stiefel theatre, possibly with a dinner added.
2) I'm working on a separate web page highlighting local experiences, so there are ways to combine those like Airbnb and Booking.com.

Not sure if this qualifies as , but my long-term executive stay properties can be easily shifted back into short-term vacation rental properties or into a furnished home for long-term tenants. In fact, I'm doing this now. In Lindsborg, our properties must adapt to the market forces or they could sit empty.

About the author

Back