JPrugh
  • Lindsborg Vacation Rentals

An AWESOME Responsibility

I just agreed to lease one of our long-term extended-stay rentals to a local family who live about a one-minute walk away from Skönhuset (Swedish for "the nice house"). Our neighbor's son is terminally ill with four to eight weeks to live. Hospice (and a hospital bed) will be brought in very soon to help during this time. The son's wife and kids can stay there for a day or two every so often. This arrangement will be so much better than the son living in a hospice care center, further away from family and familiar surroundings. We will help them rearrange furniture as needed. And yes, the neighbor is paying for this.

Many years ago, I went through something similar, moving my father with Alzheimer's from Illinois to a care facility about a fifteen minute drive away from my home here in Denver. Many of you and your families have gone through something like this too.

Death is part of everyone's cycle of life. I'm happy that we can provide this place for the son's final weeks.

Skonhuset cropped.jpg

Last edited:
What a gesture JPrugh JPrugh -- I like to think that small businesses can change the world when they find that "thing" or business activity they do best that simultaneously makes the world a better place. Small business is different from a non-profit In this sense — there is transaction that creates a job/livelihood.

ROster ROster put his finger on it with the new wheelchair accessible home. And you seem to have put your finger on it here. Beautiful idea, simple execution, meaningful impact on people's lives. Well done.

What a wonderful gesture JPrugh JPrugh! A few years ago a woman asked if she could have a hospital bed delivered so her children and grandchildren could celebrate her gravely ill husband's birthday. They came and had a great time with their father and grandfather. An ambulance took him to the hospital from the farm where he died a couple of days later, but they had made some really good memories of him telling everyone what to do from his hospital bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a lot of families (mostly extended groups) that want to do a "last trip" together before someone passes. I really feel honored to be a part of this type of moment for people so that I can try my best to offer my advice to them to accomplish everything that they wish for. It's a great blog subject idea to help folks!

Sadly the guest staying with us with hospice passed away this week. We were honored to help this family - we sent a sympathy card, of course.

Another success: Our extended-stay properties are being discovered:
  • Consultant from Puerto Rico and spouse working for Pfizer until March
  • Two professionals from Omaha working for Wald Foods (gluten-free pizza crust) until March
  • Interim COO for local hospital through June
  • Project Engineer / Consultant from Alabama working for Johns-Manville through November
  • Professionals from Louisiana working for AT&T for four to six months
Since many of these professionals will be with us for a while yet, the attached letter provides information on the status of the COVID-19 pandemic locally, where to be tested and how to sign up for vaccines. I wouldn't want to be in a new location without this information. And our city's hospital knows that these guests are staying with us.

Attachments

• LVER Information on COVID-19 and vaccinations.pdf
    93.6 KB
This week's discussion thread is perhaps more validation than motivation.

On the heels of my friend Leyla's passing this week, I found myself reflecting on how often it is vacations together with friends/family that are the highlights of life.

And how often these sacred moments are facilitated by vacation rental properties (and members of this community).

I think about Michelle Hodges of Meyer Vacation Rentals (starts at at 59:02 below) hosting a guest's last trip to the beach...

I think about AngelaL AngelaL and her team at Coconut Condos fulfilling end of life dreams with Dream Foundation...

“Being a part of these Dreams is fulfilling not only to the Dreamers themselves but to us and our employees as well. This industry can be grueling and demanding but working alongside Dream Foundation helps provide a deeper meaning to the daily grind.

I think about Brad Brad and Vicky Stewart of Stewart Mountain Lodging who curate bird releases with Great Basin Wildlife Rescue: an event that takes on new meaning with guests whose vacation may be their last.

And JPrugh JPrugh who hosted a family in hospice with their son (see above).
And SScurlock SScurlock who arranged a hospital bed.
And Nancy Nancy who gets "last trip" requests.

About hosting memories that stand-out in life when all is said and done, Michelle Hodges says it best: what an AWESOME responsibility.

Last edited:

About the author

Back