Subscribe to the Unlocked Podcast by Matt Landau on
Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher or pretty much any other app.
Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

How to stand out in a crowd

As a follow-up to the popular discussion 8 Deep Adjustments To Your Listings, in this week's podcast featuring Heather Heather we talk about what is simultaneously the biggest challenge AND the biggest differentiator (when you solve it) for independent vacation rental marketers: standing out in a crowd. You can skip forward to 12:15 to hear that part of the discussion:

Heather talks about the classic graphics like the colored pencil and the flower that depict this so well in her mind:
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 2.49.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 2.50.43 PM.png

So I thought it would be fun to go down the rabbit hole of "How to stand out" visually with the hope other community members can add their ideas:
Note: This is all about the inquiry phase -- so keep in mind that the guests likely won't have interaction or communication with you YET.

1. Use a Big Zig Name​

When everyone is doing X with their naming rubric, go completely the opposite end of the spectrum and do Y. A great example is Julie Gates in Savannah. Her vacation rental company is called Sid Was Here in honor of Sid, the first squirrel rescued by Julie's son, Josh when he was 11. Josh has since started a squirrel rescue and has lovingly raised many baby squirrels and returned them to the wild. Julie's company was named for Sid and her many relatives that grace the environment they work in.

2. Use a Better Featured Image​

I was recently introduced to Pickfu -- a do-it-yourself online consumer research platform where you can crowdsource hundreds of opinions from the people who matter most to your business. Upload 4-6 potential featured images and let your target market tell you which stands out the best (with feedback too)! I got a discount for 50% off your first poll: VRMB50

3. Use the NOT

This thread from last week is a really good example of how your listing, website, email correspondence...etc. can stand out by explicitly stating the commodity you are NOT. The word NOT (especially when written in all caps) gets attention. And counter-intuitively, those who resonate with this kind of twist marketing tend to be great niche guests.

3. Use Superlatives​

Like a person who is taller than everyone else in the crowd, you can stand out by emphasizing properties, hosts, and companies that are unsurpassed in some way: oldest, biggest, only, best, weirdest, cheapest, cleanest, most quiet, first purpose-build...etc. The superlative puts your property in a league of its own.

4. Use a Landmark Feature​

From swings to murals to historic bells and huge backyards, you can stand out by enhancing your property's "landmark" feature. This thread has plenty of inspiration.

QUESTIONS

• What are some ways your properties stand out in a list of other vacation rentals in the area?
  • How did you create a niche so that there was no one else to stand out from?
  • Do any particular elements of limited edition (family, local, specialized, surprises, or other?) help you stand out?

Last edited:
We Zigged - Moving Mountains is not a conventional name by any means, and this has served us well...

Our niche is Luxury - in the true sense of the word, and every time we have strayed from this we have learned that LUXURY is what our guests expect of us, and nothing less will do. The differentiator was that luxury has always been solely what we do, and so unlike competitors who have a variety of different property types and qualities (we tag them as "a jack of all trades and a master of none"), we can dominate the luxury end of the market by pushing the envelope as far as possible in that direction.

Limited edition: it's our DNA:
  • unique high-end homes
  • lots of family touches because we raised two kids while doing this
  • we focus on relationship-building with all guests
  • luxury touches that are not advertised enable us to surprise and delight
    • teddy bears for kids
    • coloring books
    • welcome gift
    • all-natural toiletries
    • fully stocked home
    • complete kitchen inventory standards
    • We have staff with "Boots on the Ground" in all locations
    • We are hyperlocal in our reservations and guest services approach
    • Our brand is distinctive - the purple shuttles and branded vehicles are hard to miss

About the author

“A podcast with a splash! Thoughtful, well-targeted, and useful delivery.”
— Beth, Splashy Ventures
“I listen while pulling weeds in my garden. Perfect way of spending my morning.”
— Sibylle, Villa Ausblick
“High-quality, actionable, and timely. Pure gold.”
— Matthew, Family Time Vacation Rentals
Back