Matt Landau
  • Founder, VRMB

New Kinds of PMS Tools Popping Up

A robust all-in-one PMS solution doesn't really exist for smaller operators. But new tools are popping up with some innovative alternatives. This is an excerpt from VRMB's 2023 Trends Report: The Roadmap.

For years I’ve referred to those who don’t view STR hospitality as a business (but rather a hobby or side gig) as “Lifestylists.” Lifestylists typically hold down separate jobs, rent for the cashflow, and use solely listing sites in terms of technology partners. But a generation of Lifestylists have gotten expontentially more sophisticated: diversifying their marketing, building lifestyle brands, spinning off new business models (such as small portfolios of self-owned properties) and most importantly using technology solutions that have been designed exclusively for them (as opposed to software designed for the conventional world of property managers).

“Users see the other systems with lots of features that they don't see the value in and are turned away by how robust they are,” says Matthew Demetrio at Hospitable. “That's really the number 1 thing we hear is that it's simple.”

Hospitable is a good example of a trend I call “PMS-lite” — these software companies don’t look like traditional property management software (PMS) companies, because they aren’t built for traditional property managers. Instead, they are built for a new wave of Lifestylists who prioritize different things.

Jetstream is another kind of new PMS solution that offers familiar functionality (to that of a conventional PMS) but also actual human services. CEO Emmanuel Lavoie explains: “We handle both the PMS core technology as well as the complexities of operating the software, integrating with other systems, providing 24/7 Guest Communications and Listing content creation and management. By outsourcing both the technology and a portion of the day-to-day operations, our customers can focus on the things that really matter to them, namely growing their portfolio and delivering exquisite onsite hospitality."

I've suggested these tools more and more recently and observed a number of members in this community who could benefit from a demo.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings on this thread.

I love what Jetstream does, I have endorsed them, they have on boarded a property manager I consulted with. The first time I saw Jetstream the very first thing I said to Emanuel was this platform is built for investors. It is built for property owner's with one or a few properties who want nothing to do with managing and it is built for the big investor that builds or buys large boutique style inventory with more than a hundred units and wants nothing to do with managing. I don't see Jetstream getting a lot of traction from property manager's who want to cede their autonomy to.

I have never looked at Hospitable, so I cannot comment on their platform. However, I don't see “PMS-lite” having a bright future. When I see this >>“Users see the other systems with lots of features that they don't see the value in and are turned away by how robust they are,” says Matthew Demetrio at Hospitable. “That's really the number 1 thing we hear is that it's simple.”<< what I see is the owner/operator who is not embracing technology, is intimated by technology and reluctant to learn the best technologies, not that they can't, they just don't want to.

When I see this >> have gotten expontentially more sophisticated:<< this is a true reflection of our industry where it is at and where it is going. What our industry has accomplished in the last four years is hard to comprehend and it is something we should be celebrating.

When I hear all about fragmentation and consolidation in our industry I think it is overblown and probably not going to happen anytime soon. But I really do believe the PMS category is the most vulnerable. For our industry to successfully move forward the PMS has to get better, they are the weak link in our tech stack. Again, I do not see a bright future for these low, mid and even some high profile PMS's.

True statement "what I see is the owner/operator who is not embracing technology, is intimated by technology and reluctant to learn the best technologies, not that they can't, they don't want to. "

I see three distinct parts to VR Tech for Lifestylists:

1) Figuring out what is needed in a tech stack. This is the most enormous mountain to climb for most people.
2) Setting it all up. Another mountain, as it always takes more time and tweaks than you hope.
3) Understanding optimal functionality and how it all works together. This is like reaching the summit and thinking, "wow, this is sweet; saves time, standardizes practices and improves the guest experience.

I wish a company existed that executed 1 and 2 and could deliver the whole package ready to use perhaps with a training session included. I don't think people want to do eight tutorials. Failing that, is there a freelancer around who is interested in taking this on? We outsource everything else, so why not this? Maybe this magical service exists already, if so, how do I find them?

True statement "what I see is the owner/operator who is not embracing technology, is intimated by technology and reluctant to learn the best technologies, not that they can't, they don't want to. "

I see three distinct parts to VR Tech for Lifestylists:

1) Figuring out what is needed in a tech stack. This is the most enormous mountain to climb for most people.
2) Setting it all up. Another mountain, as it always takes more time and tweaks than you hope.
3) Understanding optimal functionality and how it all works together. This is like reaching the summit and thinking, "wow, this is sweet; saves time, standardizes practices and improves the guest experience.

I wish a company existed that executed 1 and 2 and could deliver the whole package ready to use perhaps with a training session included. I don't think people want to do eight tutorials. Failing that, is there a freelancer around who is interested in taking this on? We outsource everything else, so why not this? Maybe this magical service exists already, if so, how do I find them?
Over the past month or two, I’ve reached out to vacation rental owners in Nome, North Dakota and Effingham, Illinois. I’m very impressed with their properties, ancillary entities and business acumen. And I would love to direct them toward an alternative to Airbnb.

Many of us are aware of the potential peril in listing on this platform. If this applies to property managers in the Gatlinburg, 30A and Park City, by default it also applies for Nome and Effingham.

To begin, I’ll suggest to them that listing with Google My Business is a good start. But I would certainly like to direct them to a PMS-lite package that would provide much of the same structure as Airbnb but with a more amiable feel. I picture Airbnb as imposing their methods from above and would like to see a PMS-lite that works along side hosts/owners in destinations that do not and will never ever have second-homes ripe for the picking.

From my conversations with Nome and Effingham, these host-owners must NEVER be considered lifestylists as they are working diligently in their chosen destinations, bringing other complimentary small businesses along side their vacation rentals. It can be all to easy to dismiss these entrepreneurs, so avoid that temptation.

Getting pack to PMS-lite, Hospitable and OwnerRez are similarly priced, but Hospitable is somewhat cheaper with more properties. Some patient and knowledgeable handholding for hosts in small towns should be considered as an opportunity, perhaps not as lucrative as a property manager with thousands of properties, but important nonetheless.

Over the past month or two, I’ve reached out to vacation rental owners in Nome, North Dakota and Effingham, Illinois. I’m very impressed with their properties, ancillary entities and business acumen. And I would love to direct them toward an alternative to Airbnb.

Many of us are aware of the potential peril in listing on this platform. If this applies to property managers in the Gatlinburg, 30A and Park City, by default it also applies for Nome and Effingham.

To begin, I’ll suggest to them that listing with Google My Business is a good start. But I would certainly like to direct them to a PMS-lite package that would provide much of the same structure as Airbnb but with a more amiable feel. I picture Airbnb as imposing their methods from above and would like to see a PMS-lite that works along side hosts/owners in destinations that do not and will never ever have second-homes ripe for the picking.

From my conversations with Nome and Effingham, these host-owners must NEVER be considered lifestylists as they are working diligently in their chosen destinations, bringing other complimentary small businesses along side their vacation rentals. It can be all to easy to dismiss these entrepreneurs, so avoid that temptation.

Getting pack to PMS-lite, Hospitable and OwnerRez are similarly priced, but Hospitable is somewhat cheaper with more properties. Some patient and knowledgeable handholding for hosts in small towns should be considered as an opportunity, perhaps not as lucrative as a property manager with thousands of properties, but important nonetheless.
I've worked in this industry as an independent consultant for six years now encountering a broad spectrum of hosts, owners and managers. They will pay good money to have someone take on the tech stack automation set-up and onboarding. It is not my area of interest. Any suggestions for a contractor on Upwork or Fivver or elsewhere that has a good grasp of our industry and does this type of work?

I have mixed feelings on this thread.

I love what Jetstream does, I have endorsed them, they have on boarded a property manager I consulted with. The first time I saw Jetstream the very first thing I said to Emanuel was this platform is built for investors. It is built for property owner's with one or a few properties who want nothing to do with managing and it is built for the big investor that builds or buys large boutique style inventory with more than a hundred units and wants nothing to do with managing. I don't see Jetstream getting a lot of traction from property manager's who want to cede their autonomy to.

I have never looked at Hospitable, so I cannot comment on their platform. However, I don't see “PMS-lite” having a bright future. When I see this >>“Users see the other systems with lots of features that they don't see the value in and are turned away by how robust they are,” says Matthew Demetrio at Hospitable. “That's really the number 1 thing we hear is that it's simple.”<< what I see is the owner/operator who is not embracing technology, is intimated by technology and reluctant to learn the best technologies, not that they can't, they just don't want to.

When I see this >> have gotten expontentially more sophisticated:<< this is a true reflection of our industry where it is at and where it is going. What our industry has accomplished in the last four years is hard to comprehend and it is something we should be celebrating.

When I hear all about fragmentation and consolidation in our industry I think it is overblown and probably not going to happen anytime soon. But I really do believe the PMS category is the most vulnerable. For our industry to successfully move forward the PMS has to get better, they are the weak link in our tech stack. Again, I do not see a bright future for these low, mid and even some high profile PMS's.
Hi Terri,
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying...but I'm pretty sure I'm one of these 'lifestyle' operators. I own a small portfolio of homes and manage them myself. I am not intimidated by tech at all! Have spent way too much time on screens since computers entered the work force.

I like the idea of simple for a couple of reasons. First, because I have always found simple means less goes wrong, and what does go wrong is easier to troubleshoot. I am currently using 2 major OTA sites (and some direct booking), and subscribe to 2 tech aids. Simple, right? Well, even with this limited tech, one of them is currently blocking the month of March from new OTA bookings, for no reason we can find. Sigh. I have enough to do without chasing down this kind of thing.

My second reason for wanting simple is that I just don't want the extra bells and whistles. I want about 4 basic things from a PMS, and I want them to work all the time without glitches.

Show me a reliable, simple PMS that will give me tools so I can provide awesome hospitality to my little portfolio of homes, and I'm in.

PMS-Lite: bring it on.

Hi Terri,
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying...but I'm pretty sure I'm one of these 'lifestyle' operators. I own a small portfolio of homes and manage them myself. I am not intimidated by tech at all! Have spent way too much time on screens since computers entered the work force.

I like the idea of simple for a couple of reasons. First, because I have always found simple means less goes wrong, and what does go wrong is easier to troubleshoot. I am currently using 2 major OTA sites (and some direct booking), and subscribe to 2 tech aids. Simple, right? Well, even with this limited tech, one of them is currently blocking the month of March from new OTA bookings, for no reason we can find. Sigh. I have enough to do without chasing down this kind of thing.

My second reason for wanting simple is that I just don't want the extra bells and whistles. I want about 4 basic things from a PMS, and I want them to work all the time without glitches.

Show me a reliable, simple PMS that will give me tools so I can provide awesome hospitality to my little portfolio of homes, and I'm in.
Hi Jan,

There are some good PMS's that are not crazy expensive that I would call good reliable PMS's. No PMS in our industry has a better customer service reputation than OwnerRez. I have never understood if anyone liked OwnerRez why they wouldn't like ResNesus.

You asked for this>>give me tools so I can provide awesome hospitality to my little portfolio<< Here you go:

https://beta.openai.com/playground >> https://www.facebook.com/bart.sobies.ib/videos/534881145084292?idorvanity=535075768569743
pointcentral.com/

About the author

Back