VRMB Team

10 Extraordinary Creative Vacation Rental Leaders

Hey VRMB community!

Ready for a dose of inspiration? This week's digest is bursting with creative energy from our latest Unlocked Podcast series. We've rounded up 10 extraordinary leaders in the vacation rental world who are thinking way outside the box.

Ever wonder HOW to practice innovative thinking in our industry? Or who to look up to for inspiring examples? Well, you're in for a treat! I had the pleasure of interviewing these market leaders for Season 12 of the Unlocked Podcast: Unlimited Edition.

Before we dive in, I'm excited to announce that Season 12 is brought to you in partnership with OwnerRez, a versatile property management software that caters to both small homeowners and large PMs alike. Their support has been instrumental in bringing you these inspiring stories.

Grab your favorite beverage, settle in, and let's explore these game-changing perspectives...

1. Dixie Taylor (Current Tides): Dixie is a visionary VRM who first learned the business with the legendary Meyer vacation rentals. But over time she devised her own special sauce of market leadership: listen to learn how to be yourself and unite/rally a team behind your goal. And to enjoy the process: Dixie’s energy rubs off on everyone.

2. Pamela Quinn (Lake Days): Pamela got her start in healthcare where she learned that creative problem solving is key to getting what you want. She applied all her learnings to hospitality where she also brings a nuts and bolts approach to effectuating big ideas. The grace with which Pamela is able to handle challenge is palpable.

3. Paul Waldshmidt (OwnerRez): Paul’s wife Katy refused to let him shut down the company he was struggling to build because she believed in him. The way their partnership strengthened (from that moment) sent ripple effects through the business: now co-founder and CEO of one of the leading PMS solutions in the world, Paul’s curiosity and vulnerability — his willingness to try new stuff — are futuristic business traits.

4. Sean Breuner (AvantStay): I was inspired how Sean spoke so fondly about time with family. Precious family time was the impetus for starting his company. But family time was also the thing he currently seeks most (running a VC-backed business is hard!) Finding more time to be with the people you love = freedom.

5. Julie Marks (VSTRA): Julie has such a big heart, which can get spread thin without the right boundaries in place. What I like most about this interview is how Julie is learning to prioritize herself; to end relationships takes courage; listen for how Julie steps fearlessly into unknowns.

6. Henrik Kjellberg (Awaze): This interview was the most data and metrics minded episode of the “unlimited edition” season. What Henrik adds is an operational blueprint for getting stuff done (because not everything can be all creative all the time). Henrik runs one of the biggest VRMs in the world profitably. He knows what works!

7. Ruth Manfredi (Cinque Terre Vacation): When I think of the quintessential homerunner I think of Ruth. She manages a few properties in Cinque Terre, Italy where on vacation she fell in love with her husband at a train station. I say quintessential because Ruth’s character and personality is woven into the entire guest experience. When you stay with Ruth, you’re staying in a community. I personally can’t wait to visit one of these days!

8. Maria Schuh (Mistiso's Place): Maria is creativity in a bottle. Her vacation rental business mimics her love for dance: full of inspiration, expression, and connection. You can hear it in her voice: Maria’s hospitality style has that je ne sais quoi…her guests feel it!

9. Steve Hafner (Kayak): It’s not often I get to interview big CEOs and this one was actually quite pivotal: it was just beforehand that I decided to ditch my carefully-prepared notes and to go in purely, unabashedly ME. As we learn from Steve and his style of thinking outside the box, intuition is risk that pays off. Listen to the episode to learn how.

10. Barry Shimmelfarb (Carmel Retreats): As the solo dad of two young boys, Barry’s world was pulled out from beneath him with the diagnosis. So urgent that the doctor expedited him to the front of the line, then told him to go home and begin making plans. What happens next is nothing short of epic — Barry now emanates and cultivates deep life moments for a living.

Wow! What a lineup of creative minds, right? From Dixie's energizing leadership style to Barry's profound journey of transformation, each of these ten leaders brings a unique perspective to our industry.

These stories showcase the power of innovative thinking in vacation rentals - whether it's Paul's curiosity driving OwnerRez forward, Sean's focus on family time with AvantStay, or Maria's dance-inspired hospitality at Mistiso's Place.

Remember, you can dive deeper into each of these inspiring stories on Spotify or Apple Podcasts. Why not share your favorite episode with a fellow VR pro and keep the creative momentum going?

Wow! What a lineup of creative minds, right? From Dixie's infectious energy to Barry's profound journey, each of these leaders brings something unique to our industry.

These stories showcase the power of innovative thinking in vacation rentals - whether it's Paul's curiosity driving OwnerRez forward, Sean's focus on family time with AvantStay, or Maria's dance-inspired hospitality at Mistiso's Place.

Remember, you can dive deeper into each of these inspiring stories on Spotify or Apple Podcasts. Why not share your favorite episode with a fellow VR pro and keep the creative momentum going?

Until next week, keep thinking outside the box and unlocking your potential in the vacation rental world!

—VRMB Team

Last edited by a moderator:

About the author

The Vacation Rental Show

"The Vacation Rental Show," hosted by Matt Landau, is the first travel show to amplify the magic of professional vacation rental experiences.

Watch on YouTube Now
Back