How to Save Your Vacation Rental Business [All Episodes]

Sponsored by
‘How to Save Your Vacation Rental Business’ is a 10-part educational podcast series hosted by vacation rental advocate Dana Lubner that will teach vacation rental managers how to solve their business’ greatest looming threat -- unfair regulation -- from the ground up.

Free Downloads: HTSYVR Workbook and Resources [PDF]

Note: Advocacy to protect your destination from unfair regulation is an ongoing pursuit -- it does not happen over night. We recommend it alongside a diversified marketing portfolio (LSI) and a strong rental property management software (Keystone Awards).

Subscribe to the Podcast on Apple Podcasts or Spotify.

Hear what our listeners have to say

"Thanks for leading the charge on this critical industry topic. Sometimes I think “it couldn’t happen to us,” but that’s a flawed belief system" — MJ, Paradise Beach Rentals

"Where do alternative accommodations fit in our community? Without active participation, the sector’s bad apples are threatening to ruin the bunch." — Amy, VRMIntel

"Whether you’re in the business or simply enjoy staying at one, its everyone’s responsibility to join this conversation."
— Taylor, ERG

I'll take this chance to share how much I admire Dana Lubner and everything she has accomplished in her vacation rental career thus far. As one of those "unsuspecting" leaders who decided to step up and defend her vacation community in Denver, it's been really fun to watch her analytical mind go to work unpacking the bigger advocacy puzzle.

I would also like to thank our friends @MattR and Track Hospitality Software for backing this project. Ever since Track was awarded one of our inaugural Keystone Awards last year, we've been looking for ways to work together. TRACK is a phenomenal rental property management software. These kinds of partnerships that allow us to share important stories and lessons and to do so with companies we really like: they are good for the vacation rental industry and the soul. We are very appreciative for that support!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

Counselor
Inner Circle
Mile High Hosts
Thank you for the support and feedback everyone! 🙌

As I shared in the last few minutes of the last episode (you have to start at the beginning of the season to get there though ;)), it was a dream come true working on this project with Matt and Stuart! Getting to build something I wish I had access to as I started in on my own advocacy journey was ultra-satisfactory on a deep level of satisfaction and to have it run parallel to things I was/am developing and learning in realtime here in Denver created so many pinch-me aha moments. I felt inspired and recharged as we recorded each episode!

I hope that Vacation Rental community members listen to our podcast and get motivated even if their location isn't currently dealing with threats, cause let's be real, they are likely right around the corner!

Happy New Year! I'm so pumped to see what 2021 holds for us all! #NoFear 🥂

Sherry

Ambassador
Inner Circle
@Dana, I have a different battle but I would imagine there are some similarities to yours. I'm trying to save one of the last remaining and undisturbed dry limestone forests in Jamaica, which happens to be across from my rental. (They want to mine it for limestone and the potential for 100 jobs while there are about 50 tourism businesses in the area that could be affected. The case is going to the Supreme Court (on constitutional grounds). This would be the first case of its kind that has been argued there so we will see if we are successful.

Catherine

Envoy
Inner Circle
@Dana, I have a different battle but I would imagine there are some similarities to yours. I'm trying to save one of the last remaining and undisturbed dry limestone forests in Jamaica, which happens to be across from my rental. (They want to mine it for limestone and the potential for 100 jobs while there are about 50 tourism businesses in the area that could be affected. The case is going to the Supreme Court (on constitutional grounds). This would be the first case of its kind that has been argued there so we will see if we are successful.
I want to wish you success in this endeavor! You hit the nail on the head when mentioning the cost to tourism dollars if the area is destroyed. People don't care when the environmental impact is mentioned, but they sit up straight when you talk tourism dollars. Their project is short-term thinking, but what happens when the natural resource is gone?
Don't despair or give up.
Environmental Defense Fund is a powerful group with a strong legal team that wins. I'd reach out to them. You could raise awareness of this issue by starting a petition on change.org.
Ok. So I'm passionate about resources☺. Best of luck!

Catherine

Envoy
Inner Circle
@Catherine -- these are wise words and very true! @Sherry if you can get your hands on tax revenue (if taxes are collect) or STR data (AirDNA or Keydata), this would help you build your case in the value STRs bring to the community.

@Catherine I love the passion!
Thank you, Dana! I see that we are kindred spirits- your dog in your profile pic! Love it !
My best friend, Pluto, is in Rainbow heaven with his sister, Maggie. This was the first Christmas without him. Give your buddy some loving from me.🐕🕊