Looking for new ideas? Tap into VRMB's massive database of free content, including our multimedia archive. Our weekly discussions on guest experience and growth are designed to inspire and delight.
Reviews (whether entered online or handwritten) are important in our industry because they provide validation (feedback loops that make sure you're on the right path) and purpose (that what you are doing really matters). @Todd's thread a while back about how to make a housekeeper cry and @Rocio suggesting travelers write "love letters" to housekeeping (because they mean the world), got me thinking about a...
LOVE this Matt. Genuinely I do, I don't use CAPS often. I'm going to raise this on our management team meeting today, maybe one person in the team writes a review of one other person, so we're all...
UPDATED December 8, 2022 A while back I posted a trend I was calling "The Falling Tide" -- the commentary from members on this metaphor is super insightful and as a result... I have revised my metaphor: instead of a falling tide in 2023, I think of it a big shake-out. A big shake-out comes when a wave of hype exceeds the realities of demand (in our case, guests looking for a reliable place to stay). Do you...
HI @Matt Landau, I have definitely been noticing a falling tide in my own little micro-market and had been wondering if it was broader than that, so this was...
OLD BAY is a limited edition brand that we can emulate. It is valuable, it is authentic, and it is niche! What started as a family-owned, locally-headquartered, and specialized spice eventually got acquired in 1990 by McCormick Spice Company (adding to its portfolio alongside brands like Lawry’s, Simply Asia, Thai Kitchen, and Zatarain’s -- which should underscore the VALUE of any niche spice brand when it...
I really love the quick "limited edition" backstory on the back of every box: "Our unique blend...
This past week I visited Matt @Durrette who is often accidentally referred to as "Matt Cozi." This is simultaneously not weird (COZI is the name of Matt’s property management company in Texas Hill Country) but also very weird seeing as though his last name is clearly stated Durrette and yet people continue call him Matt Cozi. (People like me continue to call him Matt COZI.) Matt runs COZiVR with his wife Jenna...
My brain exploded when I read 27 pieces of tech! I think there is also some secret sauce in the Cozi...
I recently came across an insightful case study (attached) titled "From Niche to Movement to Mainstream" about the rise of the food truck movement (and hip hop). Reading it, I couldn't help but see the parallels with our work (and think about a similar discussion Can we copy the craft beer movement?)...here are some of the interesting nuggets I gleaned from the food truck PDF (attached): The catalyst for the...
@Dawn what a wonderfully relevant moment for the Hedgehog to make its return to the community. @TomG and @Lauren Madewell -- I'm curious (been thinking about your family businesses...
I recently came across a scene from 'Sense of Place' Blue Ridge that I wanted to share because I know a lot of our members are thinking about staffing and team building. When I asked @CJ how he plans to grow, he says, "I'm going to invest in people." Watch it first... Investing in your people is one of the most impactful ways to allocate funds as a modern day vacation rental professional. If demands of the...
Here's the full episode in case anyone wants to see me jump off an abandoned boat after drinking moonshine: @Matt Landau this is my favorite Sense of Place! I laughed out loud several times at your antics - especially slipping off the sunken...
Good property names stand out and inspire. Even cooler, good property names drive repeat and referral bookings! But bad property names disappear from our memories the moment we depart. Settling on great property names is tricky. I am recently going through this process with @MeganM about her new property in Cocoa Beach, FL. It's located on the Space Coast where Megan grew up (she had friends whose...
Whatever you do pick something that is easy to spell and easy to pronounce. Our property name is a marketing blunder. The name is French, Mais Oui and is a good play on words in the hospitality business if you know French. 90% of...
Hospitality is one of the few sectors that customers touch, feel, experience, walk-into. Which makes us hyper-connected to our local communities. (We should really have a code of ethics, but I digress) And hyper-connected means disruptive: for better and for worse. Good disruption: guests spark the local economy, managers/hosts are closely tied to local causes and issues, business contributes as much (if not...
I posted this recently in a local FB STR group. Advocating for Short-Term Rentals: Keeping a Good Local Reputation The best defense is a good...
I recently came across this quote (above) and realized how many of the most successful vacation rental pros I know are masters of leverage AND how many of the most knowledgable vacation rental pros I know could use leverage in fun new ways to thrive (however they may define that). So I wanted to begin a thread about using subject matter expertise as a "force multiplier" -- giving members the potential to lift...
Happy almost Independence Day everyone, First of all - I had to look up the word leverage as it pertained to business. Verb Leverage: use (something) to maximum advantage. "the organization needs to...
JPrugh
  • Lindsborg Vacation Rentals
I just agreed to lease one of our long-term extended-stay rentals to a local family who live about a one-minute walk away from Skönhuset (Swedish for "the nice house"). Our neighbor's son is terminally ill with four to eight weeks to live. Hospice (and a hospital bed) will be...
This week's discussion thread is perhaps more validation than motivation. On the heels of my friend Leyla's passing this week, I found myself reflecting on how often it is vacations together with friends/family that are the highlights of life. And how often these sacred moments are...
Storm Watching is a creative marketing strategy by the destination of Tofino on Vancouver Island in British Columbia...turning lemons into lemonade...taking a low season and turning it into something new and aspirational. Stoke the fire, pull a chair up to the window, and snuggle into a down comforter to watch Mother Nature assault the land and sea outside your hotel window. Gale force winds whip the ocean into...
As a follow up to my April 20 post.....we opted to play up all the wonderful amenities inside our property and let this sell itself. The property, with or without higher water levels in our surrounding lakes, is still a magical, mystical place to stay...
Sarah Bradford (of Sarah & Tim fame) recently shared with me I Illustrated National Parks In America Based On Their Worst Review And I Hope They Will Make You Laugh. I'm an illustrator and I have always had a personal goal to draw all 62 US National Parks, but I wanted to find a unique twist for these poster designs. When I found that there are one-star reviews for every single park, the idea for Subpar Parks...
I have been thinking about this recently on a "review" level, based on reading about this Chinese restaurants responses to bad/dumb reviews I read awhile ago...
I just finished Dan Pink's The Power of Regret -- all about turning negative emotions into positive actionable lessons -- and the book includes this, one of my favorite quotes: By understanding what people regret the most, we can understand what they value the most. The book explains how "boldness" regrets ("things I didn't do") were almost 2x as common as action regrets (things I did). And I couldn't help...
I was always encouraged by my family to be an entrepreneur (like they all were) but devoted my most of my working life to...
From last week's discussion about marketing the word "boutique" (which has evolved like a beautiful living document 🌱) I was inspired to share a lesson I learned from a $795/hour copywriter. Tell ‘Em What You’re Going To Tell ‘Em Next, Tell ‘Em Next, Tell ‘Em What You Told ‘Em OK so this isn't the exact lesson (it's famous advice for public speaking presenters) BUT it communicates the lesson from the...
I wonder if it's part of this concept that relates to the ubiquitous emails I get wanting to redo...
In my 2022 Predictions Piece, I explain how big money and roll-ups will fuel the one-of-a-kind or Limited Edition players in the vacation rental industry. Said another way, the small businesses that accelerate in the direction of family/local/specialized/surprises will not just enjoy new-found demand -- the sector's tailwinds will satisfy their wildest business dreams. Here's a prime example: I visited Mike...
We require a contract, but like many here, we do have an "out" for either party. While the relationship with...
Crowdsourcing means collecting information from other vacation rental people. It allows you to save time and money while tapping into lessons from owners and managers with different skills or perspectives from all over the world. Crowdsourcing works best at early, pivotal stages of your vacation rental growth: believe it or not, many other VR pros have been through that challenge before. They may even have a...
Hi Ashley, I'm happy to share my pack with you and let you know how I do this. I would be so grateful for anything you can share with me! You can email me at [email protected] Thank you!
Trial and error 'metabolism' is one of the most popular ways to build vacation rental muscle. But once you've reached a sweet spot, trial and error metabolism tends to slow: either because you've build a seamless machine OR you've lost motivation for growth. One way to mix things up is to adopt the mentality that "everything is a test." "Everything is a test" gives us the confidence to try a myriad of mini...
Reference Discussion (for anyone who wants to learn more about QR codes): https://community.vrmb.com/threads/qr-code-for-marketing.6301/
Permission to Prune IDEA: Tree pruning means selectively removing injured, dead, or infected parts of the tree in order to improve the tree’s structure, and promoting new, healthy growth. Vacation rental businesses can prune too by selectively removing parts of the business that are weighing us down and impeding our goals. ACTION: Prune parts of your business that may be restricting your growth. Some examples...
We are removing our property service homes as we no longer have the band width to take care of them for the peanuts we are making. We are dropping 12 homes where we do security checks and clean for owner use from time to time. It was a drain on staff and I am excited to...
***UPDATED NOVEMBER 2, 2021*** I’m departing the last few conferences with a lot to report back. My theme for this conference season is “first mover status” because that’s what all the attendees (advanced owners and managers) seem to be enjoying as a result of their choices and hard work. I've come to think of first-mover vacation rental leaders as "quintessential waveriders" who, with the right positioning and...
Sorry I missed that!
(OK so I apologize about the title: it's something that early-marketer-Matt would have written. But I couldn't resist the cheesy sensationalization on this technique because it's worth the hype.) If there was one technique that I wish more owners and managers would try, it's talking head video. Talking head video is you: in front of webcam: saying something meaningful to your guests. It's like a voicemail but...
@Matt Landau - Well, heck seems like me, Google, and Youtube will be holding our own classes? Yes, I was a little disappointed but I think it's a direct sign...
To me, there's something a little awkward about addressing the topics of bad guests (smoke, noise, parties) so bluntly. It's like, these are real problems, and you shouldn't do them, wink wink. I kinda like it. But not sure. Thoughts?
After some time for it to sink (there’s a pun there… get it?) in, I think the message of this ad is ‘cool’. As in, I can rent Scottie Pippin’s house? Cool! Look how you can throw baskets from the...
What is "enough" for your vacation rental business? In this short thread, I'll argue why your ability to answer that question is synonymous with your keys to the vacation rental kingdom. (And oppositely why, if you can't give an answer, you're missing out on perhaps our industry's greatest sweet spot for independent vacation rental entrepreneurs.) In Spanish the word is "Bastante." Ya basta! Or "suficiente."...
I have copied and pasted these action items into a document for me to review as often as I need to. We too have found that after taking the risk of opening a new asset management company (STR management) right in the middle of the pandemic that we haven't had...
I’ve always been inspired by small business owners. Specifically, those who have used small business to create a lifestyle that fulfills. Cajun Claws, for instance. A small crawfish restaurant in Abbeville, Louisiana, which seats a total of about 30 tables per evening. After waiting in line for several hours, I eventually get seated in what more resembled my grandmas living room and served by what was actually...
I see the main commonality is they made their "customers" feel special and appreciated. It is hard to reach everyone that comes thru our company with thousands of reservations every year and with the advent of e-locks & on-line booking . So, we send "Thank you for choosing us" to everyone...
Here's some thoughts on this commercial.... What are your thoughts? Link Netflix: World's Greatest Vacation Rentals Show Hot-take
A few thoughts… While it's really great and sexy to feature bmw, cadillac and porche properties, most people are driving Toyotas and chevys. They strive to be inclusive in the people they show, but not in the...
As children, we’re told not to be picky. "Don’t be a picky eater." "It’s only a summer job, don’t be so picky." As we enter adulthood, being picky starts to be a good thing. "Be picky with your accountant." "Be picky when choosing your spouse." And as vacation rental pros in this unprecedented moment, being picky isn’t just recommended. It’s a requirement. Let me tell you why… To those observing our...
As children, we’re told not to be picky. "Don’t be a picky eater." "It’s only a summer job, don’t be so picky." As we enter adulthood, being picky starts to be a good thing. "Be picky with your accountant." "Be picky when choosing your...
Questions or comments welcomed below...
@JPrugh what you’re really describing is the role of destination ambassador in an up-and-coming place. I met this role...
Five years ago, one of my favorite online business leaders (and actually the inspiration for VRMB Communities!) James Schramko published what became his signature marketing strategy, Own The Racecourse. The general gist... Your business is a racehorse. The platform atop which it generates sales is a racecourse. Until you own the racecourse, your racehorse is forever competing on someone else's track. Own the...
and, if it is free (except for your time), you might be the product
A foundational element of building a home is the plot on which it sits. One of the first investments we suggest vacation rental professionals make in Stage 2 of Listing Site Independence is in domain names. And there are three types of domains you should consider purchasing in order to carve out your own little piece of online real estate. Your full name (good for any and all professional pursuits -- people...
I bought my domain name as soon as I began my rental. It seemed like the best thing to do and I guess it was!
This week's tip is inspired by our interview with @ambercarpenter of DemandIQ (full interview below). It is aimed at anyone who has a website and a basic property management software. "Unconstrained demand" is the traveler demand for your vacation rental property(s) without the constraints of availability or rate rules. Including beyond 100% occupancy. Your 'unconstrained demand' for nights is much greater...
Unconstrained demand! What a great concept and such an intelligent way to view the opportunity that is out...
Have you ever come across a product whose presentation is on point? Whoever put together the photos, copywriting, design was "on their game" or "looking sharp" in that it subliminally sucked you in and persuaded you to buy? Finca Victoria is a farmhouse style B&B on the small island of Vieques, Puerto Rico, and every vacation rental professional can take something away from their website...
Does it have to be an either/or? Can't a website be everything you talk about, and still have great SEO?

Welcome to VRMB!

I’m Matt Landau, the founder of this forum. It was created in 2016 when a group of us wanted a safe space to discuss our growing STR businesses.

Today, you can join our community of 1,000+ creative, thoughtful, and generous members who believe in a better future.

Go Premium

Spotlight

Discover "Unlocked: The Intermission" - a captivating 6-part podcast series featuring the individuals who have shaped Matt Landau's horseradish in the past 6 months.

Listen now.

Back